Wrong plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slammed56

Hi guys , I'm in the process of renovating a old victorian end terrace property in Glasgow, the place needed totally stripped out due to being left in a bit of a state for many years and required a full chemical gel DPC
I'm looking for some advice regarding what I thought was a failed Dpc in the kitchen walls but after getting the professionals back to inspect ,they have told me that the DPC is fine but the room has been plastered with multi-finish rather than Limelite
unfortunetly the plasterer I used is long gone and I am now left trying to figure out the best way forward , any advice appreciated
The room is only 3.5x3.5m and I will be pulling the new Kitchen back out this week . Before the plasterer skimmed the room he did mention that the walls had some sort of cement type render on them , this was also noted by the electritian who raggled the walls for the new sockets
I have tried a few local plasterers for quotes to repair but no one seems to get back with prices

Hi guys , I'm in the process of renovating a old victorian end terrace property in Glasgow, the place needed totally stripped out due to being left in a bit of a state for many years and required a full chemical gel DPC
I'm looking for some advice regarding what I thought was a failed Dpc in the kitchen walls but after getting the professionals back to inspect ,they have told me that the DPC is fine but the room has been plastered with multi-finish rather than Limelite
unfortunetly the plasterer I used is long gone and I am now left trying to figure out the best way forward , any advice appreciated
The room is only 3.5x3.5m and I will be pulling the new Kitchen back out this week . Before the plasterer skimmed the room he did mention that the walls had some sort of cement type render on them , this was also noted by the electritian who raggled the walls for the new sockets
I have tried a few local plasterers for quotes to repair but no one seems to get back with prices
Do you mean carlite mate , not multi ?

Was the walls hacked back to the brickwork? I take it this is a no, damp proof professionals make me cringe to be honest, they have more get out clauses than a political promise. It needs hacking back to the brickwork, 1.2 high minimum ,plastered with lime lite or dri coat plaster or simply sand and cement with a good waterproofer, I normally go for the latter as its cheaper for materials but you have to leave it a week before skimming.

It won't be the finish causing the damp any pics?
Should have explained better , Thd damp providers are not saying that the plaster is at fault or causing any damp , what they've have said is that the walls cannot dry out completely because the should have been finished with a renovating plaster to allow them to breath
the original finish was some sort of cement finish and the only parts that were removed back to the brick were the bottom 6" for the guy to drill the new DPC and stop bridging onto the new finish and where the walls were raggled for the new ssockets this is mostly where the problem is showing up , the plaster is flaking off around the socket aareas think the best bet here will be to strip everything back to the brick and start from scratch with either a renovating plaster like limlite or the cement/waterproofer solution
Any Glasgow based guys on here that could carry out this type of work ?

What advice were you given if any when they injected the walls, did they expect the walls just to dry out, seems to me that if you were not advised of works to be done then both the plasterer and dpc people are at fault, best job as you say is hack off and re do in either lime lite / renovation or sand cement, I am sure someone on here will take you up on it, can you leave an email address if you have not already.

As said the plaster needs changing. If its salt contaminated no amounts of injection will make it any better.

Its shown worse around the electrics as I bet they have been patched after chasing with a gypsum backing plaster, exaggerating the problem further.

As said the plaster needs changing. If its salt contaminated no amounts of injection will make it any better.

Its shown worse around the electrics as I bet they have been patched after chasing with a gypsum backing plaster, exaggerating the problem further.
Thanks Guys for giving me a better understanding on this , I have stripped back the plaster around one of the sockets and Carlos is correct , the chasing has been filled with gypsum
mill be removing the kitchen today in preparation for stripping the walls bback not sure if this is the correct section but if anyone could carry out the replaster within the next 3 weeks please PM me
thanks

You can't send a pm leave up your email address and someone will contact you but come back and let us know how you got on maybe even ask about the plasterer before you use them or have a rad on here at their previous posts,

Status
Not open for further replies.