Wrong plaster used by a 'pro'

Dora

We got a couple of rooms plastered by a professional back in January. He used the same plaster to skim around the woodburner and casually said to use "heat proof" paint in that area. After a while looking, I suspect that's on the same shelf as tartan paint.

Can I chip off the new plaster to go back to what was underneath and not really all that bad (at least it won't crack or catch fire..)? Or will it take off chunks of the stuff underneath? Any good ideas?

Attachments

• 15896339601415800352634325985985.jpg
    15896339601415800352634325985985.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 292
You can actually get heatproof paint, do you know what background the plasterer skimmed onto,have you used the log burner yet,have any cracks appeared,I wouldn't hack anything off yet until the log burner is used if the surrounding area gets to hot trust me the skim finish will crack and you can easily shell it off with minimal damage to the back ground it's all down to preference I've heard of plasterers that have used bg products on fireplaces and burners and haven't had a call back personally he should of used vitcas heat resistant plaster

If you start chipping it away inside that curved reveal and endeavour to remove it all looks like it will take parts of the front face off with it.
Fire it up max - if it cracks call him back to see what he says. Try get some money back then. Never get someone who does a rough job to repeat perform. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...

In my house I’ve got some of those hideous arched openings, there’s one that’s even like the Taj-Mahal...might smash it off :)

You can actually get heatproof paint, do you know what background the plasterer skimmed onto,have you used the log burner yet,have any cracks appeared,I wouldn't hack anything off yet until the log burner is used if the surrounding area gets to hot trust me the skim finish will crack and you can easily shell it off with minimal damage to the back ground it's all down to preference I've heard of plasterers that have used bg products on fireplaces and burners and haven't had a call back personally he should of used vitcas heat resistant plaster
Thank you, I'll get a fire going and see what happens...! Any idea who makes heatproof paint? Local paint shop tried to sell me a two stage thing that cost £122 and the spec said it was flame retardant, not heat resistant.

If you start chipping it away inside that curved reveal and endeavour to remove it all looks like it will take parts of the front face off with it.
Fire it up max - if it cracks call him back to see what he says. Try get some money back then. Never get someone who does a rough job to repeat perform. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...
Tha is Monkey Boy, I'll do just that :)

That finish is shocking,hasnt even cleaned your flute off and your brickwork,or bead for that matter,how much he charge? £170? I cant see the bead melting tbh but finish is shocking
He was a lot cheaper than the other quote I got, but came recommended by a chippy I trust..! Think it was 950 for the whole room, it's a big room and had thick thermaboard on 2 walls, skim on rest & ceiling.

He was a lot cheaper than the other quote I got, but came recommended by a chippy I trust..! Think it was 950 for the whole room, it's a big room and had thick thermaboard on 2 walls, skim on rest & ceiling.
The work is sloppy, but you'll probably need to sand and fill. If you could post pictures of the rest of room that could help if you encounter other problems.

The work is sloppy, but you'll probably need to sand and fill. If you could post pictures of the rest of room that could help if you encounter other problems.
Rest of the room is painted now, but think he did a much better job with the rest
15908335815742116838051878306448.jpg
15908336557631140290502828127259.jpg