Working time / Suction control

Members online

LarryTheDecorator

One of the great mysteries of my life - suction control

When I learn't at 'college' we didn't really go into suction control, the environment I was learning in was always freezing, so workable time before the multi even thought about firming up was about 45mins.

Now at home, I pva (roll on 3 times in a 3:1 mix) and whack the plaster mix on a 5sqm wall in about 18mins and leave it for 10mins or so (tea/sandwich break & wipe the sweat off), at this point the wall looks messy, as if aunt bessies chocolate cake has been thrown against it (this was how we were taught to leave it), the skim is about 3mm thick doing the scientific finger stabbing test.

I start my speedskim pulling in at the edges, and am finding to my horror, the plaster is just too hard to pull, so I'm getting drag marks, holes and it just looks plain awful - I'm too embarrassed to even post a picture of it on here. At this point I do my best to patch and then sand down. The wall looks like my dog has done it.

I've looked at retarders to slow the process, tried cream of tartar, mixed the mud at a low speed and used absolute clean freezing water, all unsuccessfully. I've also looked at extratime, but also need to consider the extra cost.

Could the pros here tell me what I'm doing wrong, and how I can sort out the working time? On one wall I literally pulled the new plaster off as it was so awful

:wtf:

Soon as you say f**k you to suction you’ll be fine.

I’ll put 4 different walls on all sucking off at different times. Don’t give a f**k. Just keep em straight n u be sound bit of water worse case scenario

Oh..

You’re welcome

To sum up

‘Thinking’ is bad for plastering. So much to think about. Pva ratio? How olds that board looks dry as a nuns kipper? That artex doesn’t smell right.

Is that nicotine stains

Fuxking chip pan c**t

Which bag of multi was damp again

Soon as you stop thinking it all comes together

Soon as you say f**k you to suction you’ll be fine.

I’ll put 4 different walls on all sucking off at different times. Don’t give a f**k. Just keep em straight n u be sound bit of water worse case scenario

Oh..

You’re welcome
Well ye cause you cant put em all on at same time lol

Thanks matey, should I even bother waiting for it to firm up them and just go for it? I'm only going on to existing plastered walls.

Even the dog walks off in disgust

Need to re read when sober but try this
Pva n let dry

Put it on neat as possible but don’t stress about it

Lay it straight down same mix

Speedskim straight away

Give it few min firm bit then trowel up

Ah ok, so I'm probably leaving it for too long and maybe not enough pva

Need to re read when sober but try this
Pva n let dry

Put it on neat as possible but don’t stress about it

Lay it straight down same mix

Speedskim straight away

Give it few min firm bit then trowel up

To sum up

‘Thinking’ is bad for plastering. So much to think about. Pva ratio? How olds that board looks dry as a nuns kipper? That artex doesn’t smell right.

Is that nicotine stains

Fuxking chip pan c**t

Which bag of multi was damp again

Soon as you stop thinking it all comes together
Artex doesn’t smell right! Lol! That made me laugh!

Ah ok, so I'm probably leaving it for too long and maybe not enough pva
try a plastering pregrit larry ! It’s just easier more expensive but might be better for you ? You can buy it at all good building yards you paint it on leave it to dry possibly a day if you want to be fussy and your good to go.

What's pregrit? Sounds like I need my ibuprofen after that (y)

try a plastering pregrit larry ! It’s just easier more expensive but might be better for you ? You can buy it at all good building yards you paint it on leave it to dry possibly a day if you want to be fussy and your good to go.

What's pregrit? Sounds like I need my ibuprofen after that (y)
It’s a bonding agent it’s just glorified pva with a grit in ? Probably get slaughtered for that analogy it’s better suction control than pva ! I personally will always pregrit artex ceilings had to many come down in the past!

I'll have a look at that tomorrow - thankyou

I've got a few bags of bonding, accidentally bought 4 bags of the stuff by accident :inocente:

It’s a bonding agent it’s just glorified pva with a grit in ? Probably get slaughtered for that analogy it’s better suction control than pva ! I personally will always pregrit artex ceilings had to many come down in the past!

fkin hell I hope that gods gift to spreads Lurpak don't see your post...he'll call you 'unprofessional' :lol::lol:

I wouldn't say grit gives you better suction control but will certainly give a better key on painted artex...that's what it's purpose is.
Anyway good to see a fellow grit user,pva's old hat and over-rated......and shyte I await the onslaught fk off to Lurpak in advance :lol:

Dumb question alert...

What is the optimum/most invincible way of killing suction until I'm fast enough? I'm going to be prepping my wall that currently looks like it's an artefact from iraq (y)

I wouldn't say grit gives you better suction control but will certainly give a better key on painted artex...that's what it's purpose is.
Anyway good to see a fellow grit user,pva's old hat and over-rated......and shyte I await the onslaught fk off to Lurpak in advance :lol:

Dumb question alert...

What is the optimum/most invincible way of killing suction until I'm fast enough? I'm going to be prepping my wall that currently looks like it's an artefact from iraq (y)

what you skimming onto? (paint,artex,old plaster etc...) perhaps post some pics?