Working out screed

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

huddsspread

I've been using different online calculators to work out what I need. But normally I just supply labour on big screed jobs, but I've got to sort the materials out for this. Its 150 sq meters and 50mm thick. Most are coming back at 13.2 tones of sand but 132 bags of dust, when knocked up at 4 n 1.

dont know if I'm being dumb, but that seems like far too much? Maybe I'm having a bad night, but I'm going to see it ttomorrow so it will probably make sense.

And I can't get ready mix up this site so just gonna knock it up by hand. Just seems like too much cement....

I've been using different online calculators to work out what I need. But normally I just supply labour on big screed jobs, but I've got to sort the materials out for this. Its 150 sq meters and 50mm thick. Most are coming back at 13.2 tones of sand but 132 bags of dust, when knocked up at 4 n 1. dont know if I'm being dumb, but that seems like far too much? Maybe I'm having a bad night, but I'm going to see it ttomorrow so it will probably make sense. And I can't get ready mix up this site so just gonna knock it up by hand. Just seems like too much cement....
Think that sounds about right,if your supplying best to allow a bit more.,just order 100 bags of dust and if it looks like your getting low you can go and buy some anywhere,but at least you've allowed for it, any less is bunce for you.

Its right. 13.2 tonnes is 528 x 25kg divide that by 4 to get your ratio 4:1 gives 132 x 25kg bags cement.
Hope that helps

150m squared and 50 mm deep to work out cubic meters , divide 150 by 20 (ie 50mm by 20 is a 1000mm) 150 divided 20 is 7.5 cubic metres. I normally just ring the suppliers of mixed screed and they will tell you the price if you give them the size and depth and the cube metres of stuff required

Last edited:
thanks for the reply boys. I know the calculation is right....its just that is seemed a lot......probably because I'm sat in my living room, and its 5 x 4 20 sqm. So ive looked at it and gone, give or take 8 of my living rooms, 13.2 tons and 130 bags?

Think ill get 100 bags of dust first, and like you say, get another 30 odd if neccesary.

Thanks again

Preferences

§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

150m squared and 50 mm deep to work out cubic meters , divide 150 by 20 (ie 50mm by 20 is a 1000mm) 150 divided 20 is 7.5 cubic metres. I normally just ring the suppliers of mixed screed and they will tell you the price if you give them the size and depth and the cube metres of stuff required

Or even 150 x 0.05 = 7.5 but i may be wrong

Just as a thought...i've priced and everything...but what would YOU charge for labour and materials? Its not so i can charge more or less, but prices of different materials/labour round the country.

So 13 tons of sharp, 130 bags of dust, and the labour to screed 150sqm x 50mm , and you'll be knocking it up. So say 2 or 3 ( dependant on this rubbish weather ) days to do it. There is underfloor heating, so you cant go mental with them barrows!!

This isn't a " i can do it cheaper, or i'd do it 2 hours " question, just wondered what the total would be, including VAT and all that...so 1l 2k 3k 4.5k etc...

So your gonna have around 16 ton of gear, you havent taken out for the underfloor heating seems like a lot of gear so what did you charge?

I given an estimate, untill i've seen it tomorrow, i won't know how big or small the underfloor heating is. After getting a rough idea of materials, its around £2200 at the moment. So it may be a few quid more, or a few less.

I given an estimate, untill i've seen it tomorrow, i won't know how big or small the underfloor heating is. After getting a rough idea of materials, its around £2200 at the moment. So it may be a few quid more, or a few less.

Have you included a skip for waste lol

4 and 1 is a bit of a weak mix if you are mixing by cement mixer.
we use 3 and 1 plus fibres with ready mix screed.
you do not want problems with screed as they can be expensive to correct.

Its always been fine for me. But when i look tomorrow, maybe ill change my mind. It'll be me knocking it up anyway, so im looking forward to that:RpS_scared: . When i think about it, its probably 4 to 1.5 shovels, when i do it. Thanks for all your input boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.