Working hours

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeT

Well I got a start with a gang yesterday and was pre warned that it was an intense job with possible long hours. I left my house at 430, arrived onsite at about 540 and packed up at 2025. This was a massive shock to the system and I decided not to go back today. Had a chat with the gaffa and left him on good terms just that length of day is no good for me with a family so now I ask you for input on what are your average working hours to make a living ?

We've all done long days before but for short periods ie a 7-14 day stint, last year we did one for 7 days left house at 4 got onsite 6:30, left site at 6-7pm got home for 10pm it's all about what it's worth to you..

We made very good money and as I say wasnt a long stint

Through the summer onsite I would get there at 6 then done for 2ish home for 2:30 having a cold one in the garden

Haha when I spoke to the guy he said may be some long hours but when I was there he informed me those where the hours he would work most days. Shame as everything else about the day was sweet.

Maybe you should have stuck it out?? You after experience aren't you George? May be a baptism of fire but shiz happens sometimes I don't know anyone who works 15 hours a day everyday?? Maybe he was just testing you?

Same as spanky really. Sometimes you just end updoing long hours to get a job done. Other days you can be home before dinner. On average im out the door about 7.30 and home before 6. Dont forget it generally evens out on the odd days where there is no work or you have the kids and cant work. No word equals no pay so although it takes it toll on your body I find a long day is better than no day at all

It was 3-1,I'm not sure what we covered but I mixed 19 bags. I would have stuck it out if it was easier to get to or a little shorter hours. I've just had a good chat with my uncle who is also a plasterer and he's going to ring up some guys he has worked for in the past to see if he can sort me out.

I was mixing up,flattening out and tidying up. Didn't mind the work load it was just that as I have a family it would be to time consuming.

fuk that, you did right mate, I start about 7.30am and if im there at 3pm, theres something gone wrong..lol.. like to pick little one up from school at 3... after saying that have done plenty of mental hours over the years..... when they built meadowhall shopping centre, was doing 7 x 12 hr shifts, and once did a barn conversion and stayed 3 days solid ( honestly..lol..) mental... all that shits behing me now tho...

the job im on at the mo its 8 to 4 but im getting sick of it and the shite payments so next week after easter im just gonna stay for one more hit seeing as weve got the light now and get it done and get off of it for good haha.
done plenty of work in south london from my place to avoid the traffic you would have to leave at 5 to get there for 7.15 quick smoke till half 7 then crack on but again you had to work late to avoid the traffic coming home, it was as is commonly known as a right ballache

So 3 spreads, and yourself mixing up all the gear and assisting in flattening. I assume multi or board finish. 14 hours for 19 bags. Am I missing something here ?

yeh, sounds weird, lets say with a labourer each spread is doing 2 bags a gauge, so thats 6 bags and a gauge takes 2 hours ish to finish... so, 8/9 hours is 24 bags... they tossing it off or what ?..lol

Im out the house at least 10 hours a day every day and with kids beleive me its not good everyone is missing out on real life but hey we are plasterers emerging from a double recession whaat did we expect !

mant times in the last 2 years job opportunities have come my way and I have turned them away in hope of a recovery/boom time will tell but I worry at times if I made the right decision - I seem to be working harder with every year for the same or less money ?

yeh, sounds weird, lets say with a labourer each spread is doing 2 bags a gauge, so thats 6 bags and a gauge takes 2 hours ish to finish... so, 8/9 hours is 24 bags... they tossing it off or what ?..lol
Well there not rushing at it, that's for sure. I always assumed get on as much as you can cope with. do a good job and go home. not set up camp and watch it go off

as long as it takes to get the job done.
Worked 3 months solid without a day of a few years back!
Im on jobs by 8 ideally and im there till its done.
done afew 12/13 hour days to push jobs thru, rather do that abnd finish a day early and get the day off.

14 hours of skimming a day, the way I plaster I would be done in 2 weeks. have no back left and want at least a week off to recover

Im out the house at least 10 hours a day every day and with kids beleive me its not good everyone is missing out on real life but hey we are plasterers emerging from a double recession whaat did we expect !

mant times in the last 2 years job opportunities have come my way and I have turned them away in hope of a recovery/boom time will tell but I worry at times if I made the right decision - I seem to be working harder with every year for the same or less money ?

ha aint that the truth, i seem to work longer and harder ever year, yet my income is nearly the same every year.
I usually leave at 6.45 and back at around 6.00. although were on a project at the moment around 10 minutes from my house so I leave at 7.45 and back at around 4.45, its as good as a holiday for me after traveling 1hour 20 each way our last job. :RpS_biggrin:

yeah i must say this job is 10 mins from my house so it is nice if i want to have a lay in i can and then im home at bout ten past 4 which is a nice change

Start at 8 and usually finished by 4:30.
Used to do all the hrs and weekends once upon a time until my eldest asked me "when are you going to have a day off to do something with us." Family is more important.

yeh... Ive done with all the stupid 7 days bollox... ok when ur young, I worked all over the country chasing money, has zero interest for me now...

Working silly hours 7 days a week, I pretty much missed my eldest growing up, one day he was toddling the next he was 10 years old.
It wont happen again, because Its time ill never be able to buy back no matter how many metres a week I throw on. A happy medium is sometimes difficult to achieve, but its important to try.
When im gone, they'll be all thats left behind to show I ever existed, they need raising right, which I can't do if im never home.

Working silly hours 7 days a week, I pretty much missed my eldest growing up, one day he was toddling the next he was 10 years old.
It wont happen again, because Its time ill never be able to buy back no matter how many metres a week I throw on. A happy medium is sometimes difficult to achieve, but its important to try.
When im gone, they'll be all thats left behind to show I ever existed, they need raising right, which I can't do if im never home.

Never a truer work there bud, problem is I'm to stupid to learn by other people's miss takes :(

Never a truer work there bud, problem is I'm to stupid to learn by other people's miss takes :(

I think you just have to find a balance Ben, I still do a fair few hours now but I make sure that I don't waste a second of free time, cause the time will soon be here when they'll no longer want to spend family time together.

Status
Not open for further replies.