Working combinations for domestic work!

Members online

zombie

Private Member
So following on from previous thread....

What works for you lot?

Tried labourers/apprentices - didnt't work

Casual arrangements with other self employed spreads. - works until they get better offers or there own worj don't try/care

Only 1 thing left to try is take on a spread full time but just can't imagine it working?

So many jobs for example only require 1 spread for 1 day or say 3 days for 1 man so in that situation what can be done other than split and go to separate jobs or price for 2 blokes and lose work or take a hit yourselves on money!

But for me this is when the stress and hassle start as firstly customers are accepting a quote based on me doing the work and sadly it would seem you just can't trust people to consistently leave jobs to the standard including cleaning down and site manners that I expect.

It's the working on own that kills me not the graft!

know what you mean..
the minute im not on the job with guys i get numerous calls on problems.
weve got an employee been through apprenticship with us.had an improver but has gone on his own now.

a labourerer and a renderer full time

@zombie i.ve got bet lad in world doenst moan would do ten hits a day if i asked . Doesnt want to leave as doesnt want stress of finding work . Cleans up . Couldnt work buy me sen.

I've got a right moaning c**t who is on the books.
He can only skim and he gets right on my nerves but most of the time it works.
He mixes the mono for the EZE and if theres a 1 man day job we just do it in half a day.

I'd love to get rid but he's just cheap enough to make money on him.

c**t.

Bigger jobs I've got a few lads who are good proper spreads to help out.

Nothing works so I'm a one man band who only does domestics.

I started bring another spread with me, older chap 30+ years under belt. He doesn't drive so I started taking on more work and dropping him off at jobs. The nosey c**t started speaking money with a customer then got bitter with me because I'm making money off him LOL! Absolute numpty. Fooked him off. I was always really worried about risking my well built reputation too, especially when letting loose a bitter old spread.

In the words of dj sammy, you're better off alone.

Nothing works so I'm a one man band who only does domestics.

I started bring another spread with me, older chap 30+ years under belt. He doesn't drive so I started taking on more work and dropping him off at jobs. The nosey c**t started speaking money with a customer then got bitter with me because I'm making money off him LOL! Absolute numpty. Fooked him off. I was always really worried about risking my well built reputation too, especially when letting loose a bitter old spread.

In the words of dj sammy, you're better off alone.

Decent spreads will resent another bloke making money on them
That's how it is. I work with my pal put we've known each other from kids at school so it works fine
End of the day if you're getting the work, looking at the jobs and pricing up, anyone who works for/with you has got to expect you to be earning a few more quid off it.

Thats just business.

He doesn’t notice the little things like my van requires insurance, tax and mot. Fuel also isn’t free. Then theres my time. Also I’m trusting him to work under my name and I have a good reputation.

It’s not like I unblindfold him after the job and tell him how much he is getting paid. He knows the job and price before he starts.

And thats the reason he is 50ish with not a pot to piss in.

It's probably harder on domestics .we do price work on site and put on the same amount as one another so we can't fall out over money .

Sour subject this is. I'm on my own most of the time, people either wait for me to do the big jobs or they can look elsewhere, I try stay away from odd day jobs, hate loading and unloading the tools. Us, I mean me, myself and I, the project manager, qs, labourer, tea maker, site bitch etc.
I rather stay on my own with the occasional help from mates, filthy feckers drive me nuts, unorganized feckers drive me nuts, fake people drive me nuts, people in general drive me nuts.
Sun's out going to have a beer

Sour subject this is. I'm on my own most of the time, people either wait for me to do the big jobs or they can look elsewhere, I try stay away from odd day jobs, hate loading and unloading the tools. Us, I mean me, myself and I, the project manager, qs, labourer, tea maker, site bitch etc.
I rather stay on my own with the occasional help from mates, filthy feckers drive me nuts, unorganized feckers drive me nuts, fake people drive me nuts, people in general drive me nuts.

Lol well said

Don't forget the nuts.....:)

i work with my youngest son , he started with me at 16 and he is 46 now. if it is my job then i am in charge if it is his job then he is in charge. on a one day job , when i price i will always tell the customer that it will take the 2 of us to carry out the task and price accordingly. if the work is to small, i take a day off as my son has a family to keep. if we need an extra hand there are 9 members of my family that are plasterers .

i work with my youngest son , he started with me at 16 and he is 46 now. if it is my job then i am in charge if it is his job then he is in charge. on a one day job , when i price i will always tell the customer that it will take the 2 of us to carry out the task and price accordingly. if the work is to small, i take a day off as my son has a family to keep. if we need an extra hand there are 9 members of my family that are plasterers .
You surely must be the forum jedi plaster master

I had a chap called danny.... on my jobs i paid him his fay money and on his jobs he paid me my money....

It worked really well for years... i cant see why you could not take on a full time plasterer just got to try and get better money for the jobs and some days you may not make money but overall you should be better off...

I never really priced my own work on day work.... i always worked out how many days it would take to do then i would know my costs then it was just sell sell sell.

So let’s say I’m zombies new plasterer guy and we agree a day rate happy days then on week 2 of the domestic jobs he has lined up for me I turn up to a job for him and he is somewhere else the whole room needs doing from his quote , then the usual happens , rooms still got tv in and they ain’t all left for work and kids are running round and have to park van half a mile down road I get set up late float the chases that weren’t mentioned, bead and prep and chuck ceiling on then go home , phone zombie, he kicks off because he priced for one day and I’m saying reality is I couldn’t do it in less than 2 , then what ? This is why domestic never works with someone else

So let’s say I’m zombies new plasterer guy and we agree a day rate happy days then on week 2 of the domestic jobs he has lined up for me I turn up to a job for him and he is somewhere else the whole room needs doing from his quote , then the usual happens , rooms still got tv in and they ain’t all left for work and kids are running round and have to park van half a mile down road I get set up late float the chases that weren’t mentioned, bead and prep and chuck ceiling on then go home , phone zombie, he kicks off because he priced for one day and I’m saying reality is I couldn’t do it in less than 2 , then what ? This is why domestic never works with someone else

Call your boss and explain the situation immediately

Call your boss and explain the situation immediately
It’s all stress mate , he’s better off alone , there’s no extra money in the job all that happens is loose loose loose , sorry to be frank but everyone knows it , domestic the money is tight and the customer anyone saying there profit in it is full of s**t

It’s all stress mate , he’s better off alone , there’s no extra money in the job all that happens is loose loose loose , sorry to be frank but everyone knows it , domestic the money is tight and the customer anyone saying there profit in it is full of s**t

I do agree mate I’m domestic only and work alone. Labourers slow me down.

I do dream of one of these fit apprenticeship gals tho

That would be zombie screwing up and that will cost him...

When i was a apprentice i got on the tools quite fast and was on par with my boss (he was a rough c**t mind) he would let me do all the skimming, dot and dabbing and rendering. There was never a day in my apprenticeship i was just a labourer. I was on £60 a day back then which was great for a apprentice and he was fair with paying me (he would pay me £60 a day no questions even if we finished for 1pm). I worked everyday like i was working for myself. Respectful, clean and responsible. What would f**k me off though if he would take advantage and leave me in god forbidden job sites while he would finish and go for a pint at 1:30pm leaving me with all the work. Horrible domestic jobs, still give me nightmares. The amount of stress i had back then running around after gear going off in the bucket and walls flashing behind my back made me to NEVER work on my own again. Even now working for myself i will always have another lad with me. Might not make a killing but it is so much less stressful and worth it in the end.

There was never a day in my apprenticeship i was just a labourer. I was on £60 a day back then which was great for a apprentice.
Thats a long way from where I started, first 6 months was labouring plugging grounds and filling raggles all for the princely sum of £27 a week.

When i was a apprentice i got on the tools quite fast and was on par with my boss (he was a rough c**t mind) he would let me do all the skimming, dot and dabbing and rendering. There was never a day in my apprenticeship i was just a labourer. I was on £60 a day back then which was great for a apprentice and he was fair with paying me (he would pay me £60 a day no questions even if we finished for 1pm). I worked everyday like i was working for myself. Respectful, clean and responsible. What would f**k me off though if he would take advantage and leave me in god forbidden job sites while he would finish and go for a pint at 1:30pm leaving me with all the work. Horrible domestic jobs, still give me nightmares. The amount of stress i had back then running around after gear going off in the bucket and walls flashing behind my back made me to NEVER work on my own again. Even now working for myself i will always have another lad with me. Might not make a killing but it is so much less stressful and worth it in the end.

I use to like giving the awkward stuff to the labourer :)

Thats a long way from where I started, first 6 months was labouring plugging grounds and filling raggles all for the princely sum of £27 a week.

Yes but the Tommies on the Western Front were only getting a shilling a day.

Didn't know you were born.
Etc.