Work waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

How do people get rid of their work waste?

Usually on bigger render jobs, I'll get a skip, for smaller domestic jobs where there's not enough for a skip I'll take the waste home and put it in corner and get 3/4 skips a year, but now it's starting to cost me, £180.00 now for a skip at mine, nearly a grand a year.

Just ripped a false ceiling down on a staircase and took 2 door frames out and decided to take it straight to the skip yard and it cost me £30 to dispose of 2 sheets of plaster board and 2 door frames.

I'm also getting told I need to get a waste carriers license which are £154.00 for 3 years.

Should I start leaving waste at customers houses, what do others do?

It's getting rather expensive

I bring it home from smaller jobs and then take it to the dump in a car so I don't get charged

Bigger jobs get a skip and smaller jobs Leave it with the customer. I tried keeping it till I get enough for a skip but I can go weeks without any depending who im working for. Give them the option to get a skip but it's just not worth it for a couple of bags of rubbish. And I certainly aint taking it to the tip in my own time. Ive got nowhere to have a skip permanently either. They all understand.

The kitchen company I work for has a skip at the showroom so I can use that if I do end up with any. Rarely do though.

Last edited:
It is becoming a problem now as I have over a ton of waste on back garden, will be spending my Saturday morning filling it up.

I'm banned from all the tips in my local area as I was caught taking trade waste every week a few years ago.

How did u get caught ? Were u in ur van ? Lol any fine ?

Rubbish is an absolute ballache. It's more professional to take the rubbish away but sticking it in your own bin or taking it in your own car to the tip is one step too far for me. Make the customer aware when you price the work and take it from there.

How do people get rid of their work waste?

Usually on bigger render jobs, I'll get a skip, for smaller domestic jobs where there's not enough for a skip I'll take the waste home and put it in corner and get 3/4 skips a year, but now it's starting to cost me, £180.00 now for a skip at mine, nearly a grand a year.

Just ripped a false ceiling down on a staircase and took 2 door frames out and decided to take it straight to the skip yard and it cost me £30 to dispose of 2 sheets of plaster board and 2 door frames.

I'm also getting told I need to get a waste carriers license which are £154.00 for 3 years.

Should I start leaving waste at customers houses, what do others do?

It's getting rather expensive

£180 for a skip???? You don't know you were Feckin born mate, would gladly pay that!!!

It was a few years ago I was going once a week or once a fortnight.

They just stopped me in the van when I was there and told me they had taken my details and knew it was trade waste and that I couldn't dispose of it at local council yards.

I assumed they had got my details from a registration check so even thought I have changed vehicles again they would soon find out both vehicles are registered to a business.

My old man works at at skip yard, that's where I usually take my waste or get skips, but they have started being miserable T***s and pissed me off yesterday by charging me over the odds to dispose of 2 door frames and 2 artexed sheets of plasterboard, even the lad in the yard said £30 was steep for how much waste was actually there, I also unload it all and put different materials into designated skips, wood, plasterboard, rubble etc etc.

My dad asked at a different yard how much and they said about £15 but I'd need a trade waste carriers license so they knew where waste came from, WCL are £154.

I couldn't leave stuff at someone's house it looks bad and messy, but getting rid of waste is becoming annoying, I never would, but can understand why some people just say fook it and dump s**t in a lay by.

just look in your local paper for a man and van wast removal....... i have used the same guy for 5 yrs..I bag every thing up and just give him a bell and he collects the same day and sweeps up after his self.....

It was a few years ago I was going once a week or once a fortnight.

They just stopped me in the van when I was there and told me they had taken my details and knew it was trade waste and that I couldn't dispose of it at local council yards.

I assumed they had got my details from a registration check so even thought I have changed vehicles again they would soon find out both vehicles are registered to a business.

My old man works at at skip yard, that's where I usually take my waste or get skips, but they have started being miserable T***s and pissed me off yesterday by charging me over the odds to dispose of 2 door frames and 2 artexed sheets of plasterboard, even the lad in the yard said £30 was steep for how much waste was actually there, I also unload it all and put different materials into designated skips, wood, plasterboard, rubble etc etc.

My dad asked at a different yard how much and they said about £15 but I'd need a trade waste carriers license so they knew where waste came from, WCL are £154.

I couldn't leave stuff at someone's house it looks bad and messy, but getting rid of waste is becoming annoying, I never would, but can understand why some people just say fook it and dump s**t in a lay by.

If your carrying any waste you should have a carriers licence I know it may be money for nothing, but there clamping down on it now. if your stopped and found to be carrying waste of any kind your prosecuted straight away, they use to let you off with a warning but not anymore.

The cost for 3 years seems fairly reasonable.unfortunately with domestic work the rubbish will need to be taken away.i use a trailer and take to my local dump(not council) and its £5 for rumble for each ton.
I prefer new builds where the builder has skips on site,especially when supplying plasterboard.

just look in your local paper for a man and van wast removal....... i have used the same guy for 5 yrs..I bag every thing up and just give him a bell and he collects the same day and sweeps up after his self.....

I was going to post the same thing, we use a local firm and so long as your flexible and do your best to separate waste as best you can they are cheap as chips

I do the same...local guy takes it away for me, last time he took away a van full,mixed waste..50quid...and receipt..
two of them, half an hour? He does a tip run twice a week(y)...

Yes Oli, cheers.
We ripped down a lath and plaster ceiling a couple of months ago and we had 3 dumpy bags of crap ( just filled enough so manageable by 2 men) always haggle with the waste boys. Deal was we load it onto his flatbed £40 a different firm charged £30 to remove about half a ton of waste left over after an extension. The way I see it we should all be able to anticipate any waste expected from a job and price the removal, always adding a bit on. Where there's muck there's luck. I always make a few shekels off any rubbish

£350 per skip up here or landfill direct its £160 per ton, think we have the most expensive landfill site in Britain!
It's run by wanks sorry I meant shanks..
We try and separate everything , burnable, scrap metal etc at our yard first to reduce costs..

£350 per skip up here or landfill direct its £160 per ton, think we have the most expensive landfill site in Britain!
It's run by wanks sorry I meant shanks..
We try and separate everything , burnable, scrap metal etc at our yard first to reduce costs..

£350 for a skip?!?! I think an 8yd is £180 here

I use my local tip get 12 passes to last a year don't cost a thing got talking to one of the lads and he saves my passes and gives them back. But most of the time it's down to the customer

Do they
I do the same...local guy takes it away for me, last time he took away a van full,mixed waste..50quid...and receipt..
two of them, half an hour? He does a tip run twice a week(y)...

Do they have irish accents? I might know them.
From Tipperary :envidioso

Status
Not open for further replies.