Work picking up!!!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyphillips

Work picking up being offered more money to move £6,50m2 to £8m2 is it too good to be true? one got lots of work and the other say its got lots coming up in the southwest what to do!! Any one got the same prob what to do for the best!!!

heard this "come work for us got loads of work coming up " of folks before then the work never appears and the folks ya turn down dont want ya etc thats why i working in a warehouse at mo unloading lorrys and etc

i'am a bit slow after a builder let me down after excepting a price off me, then stalled me on a start date,then got some cheaper bodger, w±!@£r builders.......

heard this "come work for us got loads of work coming up " of folks before then the work never appears and the folks ya turn down dont want ya etc thats why i working in a warehouse at mo unloading lorrys and etc
well said kemp,hope job is going okay for you

Work picking up being offered more money to move £6,50m2 to £8m2 is it too good to be true? one got lots of work and the other say its got lots coming up in the southwest what to do!! Any one got the same prob what to do for the best!!!
What you doing for your money ? Dot dab skim

I noticed today on my walk that there are a lot of builders working in the area.... must has seen 3 or 4 plasterers vans on my little wander :)

Danny

i'am a bit slow after a builder let me down after excepting a price off me, then stalled me on a start date,then got some cheaper bodger, w±!@£r builders.......

I stopped working for builders for that reason. Private customers are ringing now but they give you the impression that there is a winter job on the cards and you give a tight price to get it and then hear nothing until April. Now I price for next year anyway and high season prices and if it comes up in winter its a bonus. I also say that the price is fixed for work commencing by February 28th. That usually gets them ringing back in Feb for a March start. My rates have gone up a bit as everything else has gone up in price and its time ours did. Been working on 2008 rates and the blokes are bugging me for a wage increase.

Always has been quite xmas time, it's quiet for us at he minute (sat at home since Tuesday with little coming in). Looks like I'll be off to get some agency work driving around etc. or similar. Jan is usually quiet as well. I think most folks don't want mess at xmas and are paying credit cards off after..

Might be a few ceilings on offer - get friendly with a few plumbers, it's supposed to be a ffffreeeeezing cold winter :RpS_thumbup:

Always has been quite xmas time, it's quiet for us at he minute (sat at home since Tuesday with little coming in). Looks like I'll be off to get some agency work driving around etc. or similar. ..

Probably the best thing to do if you are a dedicated outside worker. I did the taxi,s every winter for 15 years up to 2006. Taxi,s are a bit dead now though with the wmc's and pubs shutting. Here in Sheffield they have deregulated the hackneys and they are everywhere. You need to take over £400 just to pay for costs before you earn anything for yourself. You meet all walks of life in that job, it's a real eye opener.

As soon as I put my money bag on as I was about to walk through the door to start my shift I got the runs. You just hoped to didn't get any looney's that night. Women are worse than men for giving out crap.

Last edited:
if you work out side,the idea is to work flat out March to December to carry you through.
The way we get around it, is to have a few knock off projects lined up for February and to scaffold I have my own scaffold so that can be out upwhat ever the weather, knocking off is the same. We work until christmas, January holiday time back in February setting up projects for spring -March onwards, we get cold but hey ho, thats the game were in.

Been busy for the last 3-4 years to be honest, all our work is external these days, I would go as far to say that the recession has bypassed us( touching wood!!!)

nah im hands on,
if you ever employ people, you will gain a lot of repect and gain a happy workforce if you are all pitching in together.

That is the right attitude for sure. Desides, no spray no pay....for anyone, so you gotta teach those monkeys how to use the machine. :RpS_biggrin:

its not to bad mate different cos been a plasterer since i left school and i 38 now but i settling in well apparently and a good worker so the supervisors say lol

Is it tough saying "yes sir, no sir" to jumped up spotty teenagers though?

nah im hands on,
if you ever employ people, you will gain a lot of repect and gain a happy workforce if you are all pitching in together.
I'm polite to all bosses I work with but really I'm thinking god I'd wish you'd **** off

Do inside or outside, got a back of a house to render when the weather picks up next year. Mostly do re-skims or extensions. Priced up six luxury lodges for next spring but not heard owt yet.
Just done a small job for a property developer who's moved up here for a while and going to do a few projects so he'll be getting in touch no doubt - plus another bloke who's a contracts manager for a property developer who prefers small businesses doing work for them (said they've had large companies but they leave crap work) - he's definitely using us but their work starts after xmas. Trouble is only once have we been busy up to xmas and from the 6th Jan that year we never stopped.

Can't say xmas this year is going to be enjoyable - except for the kids, as I lost my mum in Aug and my dad hasn't a clue what to do xmas wise as she did it all.

The only break I get and I'm usually dragged down to Wolvo' to the inlaws and then I'm a taxi service lol.

All my work is virtually private and the private customer is scared stiff of the frost word. It does,t matter if you only turn up when it is safe to do so and you use frost proofers and cover the work up with sheets. They just don,t trust you to do that!

Late last November the weather turned cold and I had all of Decembers work cancelled within 24 hrs. I did have a silicone job come in (and that washed off). January was pissing it down to start with and then it turned cold and into February. All in all I averaged 1 day a week last Jan & Feb. March to August this year was the worst I can remember for days lost due to the rain and to make matters worse more customers wanted bucket coat finishes rather than pebbledash what you can add accelerators to.

Now the rain has come back and it is slowing things down again. A bad year for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.