Work getting tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeSpread

Hello all just wondering how busy you all are?
Work seems to be pretty tight in manchester
so ive dropped prices down a bit so now i`m pricing
jobs to get them like 13x13 ceiling and walls i`d
normally charge £325 l&m but now i`m goin in
at £260 which would just about cover me...

Hows every1 else fixed?

Hello,

I am ok at the min have a few weeks ahead booked.

However I refuse to move on price, i dont want to start a price war I charge what I charge and thats it.

People try pulling one on ypou telling you that the climate is changing, I tell them it aint and thats that. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Had a builder try it on saying he can get a spread for £120 a day, I said you had better call him, he then phoned me back saying that my quote was fine...lol

Danny

nice 1 danny im with u on that..
theres always people who think they can take the p'ss, thats essentially what 'business' is all about...
id sooner move into something more lucrative than kill myself for someone elses benefit..

30 layed off this :'( fri from the firm im on for and talk of drops in rates for price!

so move on then...i dont hear anyone sayin their boss is gonna take a pay cut?
ill bet they drop their prices..fair enough..but ill also bet their profit margins are healthy..otherwise why run a business?
a better way to run a business might be to take a cut in profit and keep payin the lads...maybe that way when things pick up again theyll have a loyal, decent workforce not a bunch of dickheads....

ill bet they drop their prices..fair enough..but ill also bet their profit margins are healthy..otherwise why run a business?
a better way to run a business might be to take a cut in profit and keep payin the lads...maybe that way when things pick up again theyll have a loyal, decent workforce not a bunch of dickheads....
Im safe mate,i only do external,mostly to insulation,theres a lot of this work coming up,im booked on this site till 2010.
If anyones tight for work they might try phoning round local insulation contracters,due to new gov housing standards,thousands of council properties have to reach this by 2010.

i only went on me own 100% and im doin gr8 at the mo,,and have job that i can do at any time this year!

good point also where sites are concerned 10 years ago you could buy a house for 35,000 know there 150,000 , what were the wages then 60 -70 a day? and what are they know 120 a day? (daywork) so if wages are doubled and house prices have quadroupled ...........even if they are dropping those poor large building companys arn't making HUGE profits .........................have building costs increased that much they can't afford to build????

am sick of people shitin on about this whole credit crunch thing it has affected things but not half as much as people make out

am sick of people shitin on about this whole credit crunch thing it has affected things but not half as much as people make out

dunno bout that mate, people gettin laid off left right and centre round my ways!!

a think its the builders its hit the most but then again theres houses gettin built allover the place were a live

Everyone i have spoken to are flat out as well, we have picked up a load of big jobs recently as well so i dont think its kicked in properly yet i was also speaking to this bloke the other day whos minted and he said hes gonna buy a stack of houses as they are so cheap at the moment so lots more work to come :) :)

A bit quite for me at the min. Avin sayin that ive got a full house to start next week. Not had a call form my Ad in the paper for 10 weeks , so i took it out. I wouldnt bother with the yellow pages this coming year either i didnt find it that good. Im gonna put all monies into internet marketing this time, who knows it might work well.

a think its the builders its hit the most but then again theres houses gettin built allover the place were a live

There was a pub at the back of my house which was recently knocked down and they started work on 30 flats / apartments. They aren't far off finishing them to be honest but it's been quiet over there the past few weeks. My neighbour (the nosiest so-and-so ever to grace this earth) reckons they've had to stop work due to the credit crunch???

I only ever do domestic so not too sure about the whole site work / new build situation but does this ring true? :-/

it'll only last so long we're in desperate need of houses :)
are you doing domestic bod???? i'm toying with the idea of putting an ad in the observer ..........what do you reckon mate?

In the Observer! You just looking for mansions and statley homes! Give me a call, i know a guy thats got a good line on antiques!

it'll only last so long we're in desperate need of houses  :)
are you doing domestic bod???? i'm toying with the idea of putting an ad in the observer ..........what do you reckon mate?

Yeah havent been doing site for about a year now, havent even phoned any one for work, we got in with a few builders and one thing has led to another, only trouble at the mo is most of our work is render and the weather aint best at the moment :( I had a look in the evening post and there wasnt 1 advert in there there was every trade except plastering might be worth a shout.

A bit quite for me at the min. Avin sayin that ive got a full house to start next week.  Not had a call form my Ad in the paper for 10 weeks , so i took it out. I wouldnt bother with the yellow pages this coming year either i didnt find it that good. Im gonna put all monies into internet marketing this time, who knows it might work well.

I think a block advert in the yellow pages is a waste of good money, you can get a free lineage advert that will appear on their website, fair enough may not be as effective but at least your in there.  You can do a deal with your local papers (i.e Ad trader or loot etc) I pay £7 a week for an advert 3.5cm x 3.5cm that works for me.  if I get one job out of it then it pays for itself

Hi, I work with my father in law on new build, sub contracting. We have just been laid off, contractor only keeping those already on the books and even contracts managers getting laid off. Have spent last two days telephoning and emailing anyone I can think of, noone is taking on plasterers at the moment!!!! We are willing to work anywhere in Yorkshire, so if any of you out there know of any work going, I would be really grateful if you could let me know.

Managed through the last recession without any problems, but feel this time is far worse and think that this is only the beginning.

it'll only last so long we're in desperate need of houses  :)

Yeah havent been doing site for about a year now, havent even phoned any one for work, we got in with a few builders and one thing has led to another, only trouble at the mo is most of our work is render and the weather aint best at the moment :( I had a look in the evening post and there wasnt 1 advert in there there was every trade except plastering might be worth a shout.
yeh mate we,ve been wendering in the rain ;D daywork too and they new it would rain .......deadlines eh :-/ cheers for the info mate ;)

starting to feel a bit iffy round here now (gtr manchester) rang the usual contacts and not much coming out of the ground so obviously not much going across the drawing boards etc, anyway think Ill do a three hour course in joinery because if you can be a plasterer in a week it cant take more than a morning to learn woodbutchery.

lol woodbutchery!! ;D
even easier than that now mate...its all mdf, 'laser guided' cheap chopsaws, superglue and gripfill...
what once took yer grandad a day using a hammer, a handsaw, plane, square, bradawl, yankee screwdriver and a pouch full of ovals now takes a few hours....

actually...can anyone think of a 'skill' or craft that HASNT been reduced to its component parts and repackaged in a ' 5 minute training school' environment....
phychiatry? - 'shrink it yourself'?
computer programming? - 'visual chav for dummies'....'so ayee is equal to the square of the hypapotenuse innit tho'
anyone?

Ok this week I have nothing, and the jobs i am going to quote are desperate I have got the impression that I am not the only spread quoting them.

I did a conservatory last week they said it will take 2 days.... I went at it like a madman and it took me 2 1/2 days. looked ok but I dont like rushing like it for the money.

hmmmm the joy of being self employed

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.