work 2013

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hector

well has anybody got any definate work on to start in new year, pricing/estimates is it as busy as in previous years, at time of writing not a thing to start next year, not pricing anything either, but as we all know it just takes one phone call and it could change, problem is though i get the feeling this recession is going to be the hardest ever, in the past20/30 years in carlisle basically all the main factories have closed down, the main goverment employers are closing or reducing staffing levels and so on and so on, once these factories go they are not coming back, in the past when there was a recession at least people were still working ,still had a job and a wage, but not now, and i do think this will be repeated all over the country.,, comet for example have just ,6,000 plus staff of all levels are out of work, put another way 6,000 potential customers will be cutting back, i hope i am very very wrong but somehow i think unfourtanetly i am right.:RpS_mellow:

We have plenty mate 3 houses first one start 8th plenty of domestics as well in jan
This year has been good for us and to be fair 2013 looks the same

Got a couple of dampproofing jobs in the pipeline.this is my last job of 2012 today.and im pleased to get 2012 out the way tbh . Not for work reasons. Normally im flapping like **** with just a couple of jobs to got at in the new year.but sometimes things happen in life and you see how yhe things you think are important aren't really, in the bigger picture.

Soz for being abit deep on ya thread H........:RpS_blushing:

Got a couple of dampproofing jobs in the pipeline.this is my last job of 2012 today.and im pleased to get 2012 out the way tbh . Not for work reasons. Normally im flapping like **** with just a couple of jobs to got at in the new year.but sometimes things happen in life and you see how yhe things you think are important aren't really, in the bigger picture.

Soz for being abit deep one ya thread H........:RpS_blushing:
all the best for new year artisan

no its been difficult the last three years and keeps getting worse can,t see it getting any better for years nobody's spending and when they do they want everything for nothing i even get people blowing me out even though i've been recomended just to save themselves £20,why would you do that i love the job but sometimes i think is it worth it customers are generally tossers who don't deserve or realise the skill involved they'll happily pay a plumber or a spark £300 a day but when it comes to the plasterer its thats too much i'm not paying that or they've got someone in the family who's been on a course and another thing i'm sick of seeing sparks and plumbers loading up plaster board and multi everytime i go to the builders merchant how would they like it if we all went on course and kept knicking they're work, if everyone kept to their own trade the world would turn a lot smoother

i do andy as i dnt want the responsibility of it in my own house id do it but in someone elses house naa.
we are really really busy at the mo working tomorow then stop for xmas then back in between xmas and new year then the new year brings 2 big jobs starting at about the same time one is mine and the other is for my now boss (firm ive just joined for stability reasons) his job has about 4 months on it and my one as proberly 3 months and thats for the 8 man team he runs so thats alot of work there then theres just miles and miles of it ahead for us, its nice having a good run at things for the new year

i do too andy. either tell them to take it off themselves or i can get a plumber. charges around £30 to take off and refit. most take it off themselves.

work wise i have 2 bedrooms for 1 customer, ive done 3 extensions on her house so i've definitely got it, she just wants to know when ill be there as she wants 1 room skimming and decorating so they can empty the other. got a bathroom to overskim. easy day good money. got at least 1 job off a kitchen fitter who says he has already got 3 kitchens and 8 bathrooms booked in and wants me to do them all (no carrot dangled as i'm getting good money on the first one)

a friend of the builder we're working for at the minute came on the job tuesday and he does big one off houses and barn conversions. starting a new one end of jan so wants us to price that. plus i've got my 3-4 builders and other spread mates who will no doubt need a hand at some point.

well has anybody got any definate work on to start in new year, pricing/estimates is it as busy as in previous years, at time of writing not a thing to start next year, not pricing anything either, but as we all know it just takes one phone call and it could change, problem is though i get the feeling this recession is going to be the hardest ever, in the past20/30 years in carlisle basically all the main factories have closed down, the main goverment employers are closing or reducing staffing levels and so on and so on, once these factories go they are not coming back, in the past when there was a recession at least people were still working ,still had a job and a wage, but not now, and i do think this will be repeated all over the country.,, comet for example have just ,6,000 plus staff of all levels are out of work, put another way 6,000 potential customers will be cutting back, i hope i am very very wrong but somehow i think unfourtanetly i am right.:RpS_mellow:

doomed, doomed, where all doomed i tell you.

Thankfully I have a new 4/5 bed to start early in January and its fairly local, plastering work ebbs and flows so dont get too down about it been quiet at times, re rads I charge £40 to take off but I do not re fit, the ones with thermostactic valves are difficult and need capping once off, Last week the firm let a labourer take off all the rads and he bent all the pipes... Best of luck in 2013 to everyone on here..

Came back from France end of October for a big Render job that cancelled since then had one two weeks work and a couple of odd days scratching. Got about a weeks work booked in for the new year. This time last year I was fully booked in for Jan & March then in January a big job came in for Feburary. Big Job in France during 2013 has been cancelled as they are worried about their job. And next year Romanian and Bulgrarian workers will have the right right to live and work in the uk. With companies trying to cut costs who will they employ ? Will we ever get out of this mess ?

I have a few jobs booked in for the New Year. We have had a problem this year with customers cancelling work at short notice, so over the Christmas period I'm going to write some terms up. There still seems to be plenty of work around, but lots of competition it seems everybody is a plasterer in Bristol. Might try and get some EWI work next year.

So when a rad needs taking off on a reskim you get a plumber in?

your public liability wouldnt cover you if you did it yourself and it went tits up........unless your a qualified plumber of course..............:RpS_thumbup:

No need to guess to the flow of work coming into your area in the new year just check out your local planning office they will release to you a file showing all applications pending, made approved etc in your area ( some councils charge for this ) They can even offer a facility whereby they will advertise your firm in the building control folder which all applicants receive (although this can be costly) It can be a great marketing source if you want to mail shoot, canvas etc as details are usually included. Good luck to all 2013

Got work through 'til March so more than happy with that ............

And I always get the customer or a plumber to remove the rads :RpS_thumbup:

Alright till mid Feb at the moment. Break up today (Friday) but back in the day after Boxing day.

We've been told we've got work solid for the next year but daywork rates so I'm not going anywhere fast

Got promises of two newbuilds and a refurb.

Not holding my breath on promises...but one of the newbuilds is all float and set...yay!!

one of the big jobs we got in the new year, i think its 7 flats it all float and set

Usually we have bugger all in Jan but we've got a few kitchens to do and and a downstairs to render/skim for a flood damage company (plus more to follow hopefully). Starting back on the 3rd. Hopefully next year will be better than this one.

Well i have two jobs at pricing stage for the new year, but they are both in scotland, long way for me, but fingers crossed needs must !!!.........same for me Artisan998, not good time for me ether bud !!......

Feking hate this time of year, had two people ring up yesterday both wanting work doing before Christmas, well one did.. The other said they wanted 4 rooms doing over Christmas starting Christmas Eve and finishing Boxing Day.. They also said they had a very limited budget! Er.. I have a family and unless you want to pay me at least £300 a day cash.. *click.. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..* take that as a no then? :rolleyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.