Word of mouth?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ewing75

Hope I've posted this in the correct section!Started my own plastering company 6-7 weeks ago. I've handed out nearly 500 business cards. Had my van sign written with name/logo/ contact details and website, which I've been parking all over the place.Put flyers up in shops, got myself on yell.com and generally pimped myself out over that period of time.Now I know word of mouth is without doubt the best form of advertising but being new it's obviously a catch 22 situation, need the work to get word of mouth, but need word of mouth to get the work!After 6-7 weeks of the above, I've done one job for a friend (overskimmed bathroom ceiling). Got a garage conversion which has been boarded out to skim next week. And lastly got large lounge to strip/ board and skim in Oct.So, the point of this thread, am I missing something obvious to you guys who have been at it for donkeys in terms of getting work/ advirtising? Is there something else I've missed? Any advice would be massively appricated!!!! Am based in south east Kent.

Time is the only way to get on in this trade, small builders contribute alot of work to single plasterers you need about 3 on your side and you could keep yourself going all year with the odd domestic job chucked in here and there but as with most people it does seem to be all or nothing sometimes and you find yourself working nights and weekends just to keep up with it.

sit in booza at the bar wi a top on saying plasterer, continue this routine of getting pissed till somebody taps on your shoulder to give you a job or knocks u owt:RpS_biggrin:

Time is the only way to get on in this trade, small builders contribute alot of work to single plasterers you need about 3 on your side and you could keep yourself going all year with the odd domestic job chucked in here and there but as with most people it does seem to be all or nothing sometimes and you find yourself working nights and weekends just to keep up with it.
Hi Bob, Thanks for the reply mate. Working nights/ weekends to keep up with it sounds like heaven to me. A mate of mine who I've helped out half dozen times laying on, even labouring, said he drives about looking for sites and just asks foreman if any work is going. It's the one thing I've not done , but would get my name amongst the local builders I suppose.

Funny thing was that a few years ago i was working for a firm and one of the blokes on site kept calling me robert when my mate asked why he was calling me it he said i thought it was a bit rude to call him bob :RpS_lol: me fecking names Mark my nicknames Bod lol

Takes time to build up customers,do a good job big or small and you'll get recommended.Once advertised in local paper for 3 months got a days skimming.Competition is massive now just got to take the rough with the smooth.

To be honest it takes years to build up a reputation where you don't need to advertise. Turn up on time for the quote,phone if you are going to be late,look fairly presentable.You'd be surprised how far you get by simply being reliable.By the way gone back to carbon,stainless totally s**t now!

Status
Not open for further replies.