Wooden strips in brickwork.

Members online

essexandy

The Lake Governor
So we're gunning the old render off of old red bricks and there are strips of wood the thickness of laths set into the brickwork every six courses. Why?
I've ask on another thread but @imago couldn't give a definitive answer, @Nisus refuses to lower himself to answer such stupid questions and @Lodan hasn't jumped in to clear this up.
IMG_20181127_144432056.jpg

My guess would be fixing something like tinytom said, a bit like wedged wood in mortar line for skirting, also seen wedges for shelving but never horizontally like that...I'll leave the heritage stuff to @Nisus I just stick to the simple stuff

That's brickforce andy! Do not remove it! That's used on lime render as metal oxidise and destroys lime. If some of the laths are loose, point them before rendering.

So we're gunning the old render off of old red bricks and there are strips of wood the thickness of laths set into the brickwork every six courses. Why?
I've ask on another thread but @imago couldn't give a definitive answer, @Nisus refuses to lower himself to answer such stupid questions and @Lodan hasn't jumped in to clear this up.

I see what you mean about how flush they are.

Whatever they're for they're making that wall very weak, basically introducing a shear line every six courses. Anything use for fixing to is normally fitted into the perps to avoid just that problem.

Most odd.

I've had a scout round the internet without much success, but I have some 17th, 18th and 19th century brickwork/building books at the unit which might turn something up. I'll have a look through them later in the week and see if they can shed any light.

I've ask on another thread but @imago couldn't give a definitive answer, @Nisus refuses to lower himself to answer such stupid questions and @Lodan hasn't jumped in to clear this up.View attachment 29172
seen it internally on staircase walls in old farm houses but what for pass

You lot know nothing.....let me educate you.

They were running out of cement. It's as simple as that

More to the point andy what are you going to do about it affecting the new render mate?

Id be concerned personaly and be getting a disclaimer wrote up!

More to the point andy what are you going to do about it affecting the new render mate?

Id be concerned personaly and be getting a disclaimer wrote up!
Well I've taken advice from @John j and he reckons, "fuckit mate it'll be fine and look great from my house. Any issues that do arise will 100% settle down over time, usually within the first hundred years". Well you can argue with advice like that can you? Just crack on I reckon.

Well I've taken advice from @John j and he reckons, "fuckit mate it'll be fine and look great from my house. Any issues that do arise will 100% settle down over time, usually within the first hundred years". Well you can argue with advice like that can you? Just crack on I reckon.
Well , he is the don after all

What render you putting on Andy!
Just S&C mate. I made a few different suggestions, but this is what they want. There's a big new blockwork extension on the other end of the property which should have been the only straightforward part of the job, had the blockwork not been so pissed that it'll need loads of dubbing out.

Just S&C mate. I made a few different suggestions, but this is what they want. There's a big new blockwork extension on the other end of the property which should have been the only straightforward part of the job, had the blockwork not been so pissed that it'll need loads of dubbing out.
What was the old one ?

S&C wetdash. Patched all over the place and looking a right mess.
I will still leave them in place and don't believe at all they have been used for anything else than structural benefits. I can see one brick that has cracked and believe they played big role for preventing it expanding. Not the ideal choice, but as you said- it's what they want.