Wood burner info

PlasterCraftDundee

I just got a phone call to go look at some work needing done in a house, they are installing wood burners and need the area around it dabbed and skimmed. I've not been to see it yet and haven't done anything related to a wood burner before. I don't want to go in blind so are they're and recommended methods/products to use due to the heat or can i just use normal boards and plaster?

I just got a phone call to go look at some work needing done in a house, they are installing wood burners and need the area around it dabbed and skimmed. I've not been to see it yet and haven't done anything related to a wood burner before. I don't want to go in blind so are they're and recommended methods/products to use due to the heat or can i just use normal boards and plaster?
Stay away from the boards they won't work as a finish render the inside in sand and cement with a lime a rub up smooth enough to paint.

there are various ways of making the inside of your builder’s opening look like something other than a dark, soot-stained hole [emoji3] pull his trousers up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Guys

You can install Knauf Aquapanel Interior around a stove, as long as the stove does not touch the boards or finish. Tape and joint as you would for the external Aquapanel then, you can then finish it with S&C or suitable heat resistant skims

Thought I would let you know and post this up - contact Knauf for more info, if needed

Hi Guys

You can install Knauf Aquapanel Interior around a stove, as long as the stove does not touch the boards or finish. Tape and joint as you would for the external Aquapanel then, you can then finish it with S&C or suitable heat resistant skims

Thought I would let you know and post this up - contact Knauf for more info, if needed

did not know that....

I do alot for a log burner installer, the sand cement and lime on the inside always worked fine for me and I was also told to do it this way by the fitter, been doing them now for a few years, no call backs.

I also skim the whole breast with multi.

Sometimes depending on the job the installer boards the inside with fire board (not plaster board) I forgot the name but it provides a decent finish ready for paint.
Shown below.

The recommend fire proof cement seems to be a bit of a con.

WP_20160512_18_57_00_Pro.jpg

As roryston above, if the stove is inset s&c is fine with normal procedure on the face. If any flues are on show going directly through a visible wall you will have to use victas for about 8 inches around the flue.

Turns out the inside for of the wood burner has been lined with some sort of steel. It's just the face of the chimney breast needing sorted. But some good info if I come across one needing finished on the inside

I've used fermecell boards a few times and taped them. Don't listen to flynny he tried using plastic corner beads and they melted

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

I've used fermecell boards a few times and taped them. Don't listen to flynny he tried using plastic corner beads and they melted

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk
Bet he was trying to sell it as a melting wall art

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Years ago before central heating people would use an open fire and they didn't pay a fortune for fancy fire boards and plaster. Sand and cement is sufficient.

They had engineering bricks or compressed asbestos boards that were tiled or painted

Cost my folks loads to be taken out a few years back lol

Last edited:
An open fire doesn't create half the heat a stove/wood burner does, all the heat goes up the chimney.