wood again

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
TrowelADDICT said:
can u skim over ply wood that has been painted with gloss. cheers

I remember chunkyboy skimming over a serving hatch that had been overboarded with ply in my old house. He PVA it and skimmed the whole wall and i never had a problem with it. How big is it mate??

ive been told that wood cant be skimmed over..... but if its been painted surly it can be skimmed, most re- skims are over painted surfaces.

i think its cuz wood still will suck in the skim over time and will move alot so dunno would bother me self

"plaster and wood is no good" unless u cover it in a 1 / 2 mix of bond it and pva and then mix up all the old scabby bags in the back of the van with some dirty water. otherwise you'll be there till next year. or else they'll call u back next year when it falls off.

ive never seen gloss paint fall off ply before....... so if u use wba, then skim..... surly it should work.
u do get a lot of movment from wood though.

I suppose you would get a lot of movement expanding/contracting from any wood. Personaly i wouldnt, but thats not to say it could be!

it will take to the bond it. but will take an age to go off. i've gone over tiles in a kitchen with bond it but the waiting about drives you mad. and you know if u get off somewhere sods law will mean it's gone off on you when u get back. just explain to the punter that u got use a special bonding agent etc. and so long as nobody starts hammering nails into it it will be okay - get the excuses in early!

yeah gaz thats probably the best option....... just had a few more questions about skimming on wood, that need answering ;D

gloss is oil based, so any water based produced should be in 90% cases be ok, butt as you say timber movement will as in "timber to brick "there is all ways be an element of movement hairline cracking to pair, the best preparation in my opinion is to if the timber cannot be removed then a good key is needed to be applied , i find as a good proven key is the good old pva,sand,cement slurry is hard to beat, eml the joint between brick and the glossed timber if that is not visible then triple scrim the joint, you've prepared it to the best you can, butt do advise the client that hair line cracks will probably appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.