Will my ceiling fall down

bilge

My bedroom ceiling 3.5m x2.5m 1960s house has 3x2 joists and 9mm skimmed board currently artexed I am overboarding it but worried 12.5 will be too heavy. Could I use 9.5mm knauf.
The centres to joist are mainly 460mm but 1 is 480mm and 3 others go down to 300mm.
The ceiling is barrelled (more like just a slope) by 350 mm at one end 2.5m wide so the joists are hanging off the rafters at that end via 2 nails in each, the other end of the joists sit on the top of an internal wall. The joists span the 3.5m, there is also an extra 10x4 supporting beam at about 2m halfway point with each end of that sitting in the wall and the joists are nailed to that.
I have added knoggings all preimiter and at the 460-480 joists for the board ends.
Something like this.

Attachments

• roof-1.jpg
    roof-1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
My bedroom ceiling 3.5m x2.5m 1960s house has 3x2 joists and 9mm skimmed board currently artexed I am overboarding it but worried 12.5 will be too heavy. Could I use 9.5mm knauf.
The centres to joist are mainly 460mm but 1 is 480mm and 3 others go down to 300mm.
The ceiling is barrelled (more like just a slope) by 350 mm at one end 2.5m wide so the joists are hanging off the rafters at that end via 2 nails in each, the other end of the joists sit on the top of an internal wall. The joists span the 3.5m, there is also an extra 10x4 supporting beam at about 2m halfway point with each end of that sitting in the wall and the joists are nailed to that.
I have added knoggings all preimiter and at the 460-480 joists for the board ends.
Something like this.
Use half inch board but make sure you push the 3/8 board underneath up and the half inch tight to it and screw well without popping the paper

Something like this.

Yes your ceiling will fall down.

Probably while you're in be because it it usually happens at night on account of the temperature.

Best thing to do is move out and call @zombie right away.

He might not call you back though - the big girl's blouse

Something like this.
Yes

So is there still a risk it will fall down with the lighter 9.5mm board.
If you put 5/6 50-75mm screws in each board every joist, no it won’t fall down. You’re far too technical to get a serious response from plasterers.