Will it survive

Status
Not open for further replies.

solway

Here goes,builder doing a job at the moment where he dismantling a flat roof and replacing with an "A" roof. He has made the new gable from 4x2 timber studs fixed onto old wall which is cavity block. He then covered the exterior of the studs with waterproof membrane and fixed cement board directly onto membrane/studs. Eml will be fixed onto cement board which is when I come in and scratch coat it and top coat with normal sand cement. He wanted to use marine ply instead of cement board but his foreman persuaded him to use cement board. My question is will this survive and will the area where the cement boards are joined in time crack. He wont use thin render system as basecoat will take too long to dry in these conditions and the scaffold has to be dropped as we invading in the neighbours lane way and already we have overstayed our welcome.

I would expect it to crack on the joints with ordinary sand and cement. Not too sure if sand and cement will adhere? Run with scissors should be able to answer this one.

I'd use Krend hp12 Basecoat embed a mesh, leave a key. next day same again and rub up as sc. Costs more than sc but it's a good strong job shouldn't be any issues. I did one a couple of years back still there looking good.

Hi Solway

sorry for being a bit late (very busy recently!) - Thanks for the Tags guys...

Have a look at the web tag in my signature below for the Aquapanel Exterior details - Give me call on 07918776577 on monday to discuss further.

The details in the brochure are for a new build project. As yours is a refurb, rather than a new build, the details can be a little different. Give me a shout and I'll help you out (Not going to go into it on here - too many variables - but done them loads of times)

Good Luck

Richard

Well people,the way the wall was done was studs at 400mm,cement board screwed on riblathe nailed on and, over lapped by 100mm-150mm,scratched last Friday in horrendous weather conditions and top coated on Tuesday to a nap finish which was mixed at 5/1/1.It turned out very well but it pulled in a tad bit fast after 3 wettings with stock brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.