Why use a sponge float?

Members online

No members online now.

Joe Boulton

Hey guys, saw your mate rwf0067 use a sponge float today on YouTube. Why do you guys use this on skim?

Last edited:
we put a sponge over multi when we have to lay on thick to cover the grit type of bonds. also sponge on Thistle universal and the Gips plasters.

At what stage is the sponge applied? Surely it makes the whole set longer and making the need for more trowelling?

I use the sponge one coat. Good job.
IMG-20170209-WA0011.jpeg

At what stage is the sponge applied? Surely it makes the whole set longer and making the need for more trowelling?
In my experience it shortens the set, cuts out a trowel. But I don't bother with it, just tries it couple times working with men that do sponge. Some swear by it.

I can get a better finish with one coat the 99.9% of the 2 coating iv seen to be honest.

Am brilliant I love plastering.
What skim you been using recently mate? Just asking coz we've mostly had red carlite from before Xmas, but it's been. Bit s**t lol

Gyproc skimcoat. Not been the best tbh. But the sponge helps
I've found the red bags want to pull and tear this last while. Doesn't Polish up nice either, dull dirty look to it. Last summer it was lovely to use. Most merchants don't seem to stock skim coat, haven't seen it in donkeys up here. Only time used it was that homer down in dundalk for the missus auld boy.

I've found the red bags want to pull and tear this last while. Doesn't Polish up nice either, dull dirty look to it. Last summer it was lovely to use. Most merchants don't seem to stock skim coat, haven't seen it in donkeys up here. Only time used it was that homer down in dundalk for the missus auld boy.

It's hit and miss tbh

A bit like lady boys ..... I've always been tempted to try out the sponge float
Mix multi a bit stiffer slap on wall. Speedskim wash tea wank. Sponge trowel. 1 more trowel after that. Quick trowel straight after that with s*p*r*lex. Next mix

Waiting for some to put that...

I call it the magicoat!! Sponge the a** out of it and medi flex it. NAP! Not a problem

Ladders not tied in proper... And there's a wee miss or too above the door clemo:rayos:......
Sorry...your deducted 10 points...

Kind regards..T,P,F......scrutiny police force ;)

I must be deducted 50 points then leaving these for lovely angles lol. To be fair thou, its just a bad pic because up close they are well blended I with the old painted walls.

IMG_20170401_100730.jpg

As for the sponge float. Ive only ever used it on reveals when they haven't been right. They can help tidy up a revel if left to long. Seen a decent video of a London plasterer using a big sponge float on YouTube, looked decent enough. Still haven't tried it in a one coat hit thou. Been afraid in case I lose it and fcuk it up and leave a s**t job!

As for the sponge float. Ive only ever used it on reveals when they haven't been right. They can help tidy up a revel if left to long. Seen a decent video of a London plasterer using a big sponge float on YouTube, looked decent enough. Still haven't tried it in a one coat hit thou. Been afraid in case I lose it and fcuk it up and leave a s**t job!

No problem one coating with Irish skim and sponge
20170204_141922.png

It's better lol. Don't know Danny. Just different rock I think. It can be good and s**t

irish skim is a dream compared to the shite in england.
it skims itself....absolute effortless.
so is germans knauf mp.

i wonder what its like in thailand.