Why Uni-finished is destined to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
So I got to B an Q this morning to grab some skim.
I notice they are now selling Uni-finish to the DIY market!

Who the hell at BG thought that was a good idea!?

You've got a product that was recalled as time served spreads didn't agree with it.
Now it's been re marketed they decide to sell it to joe public!

So after the first attempt at getting actual plasterers to use it why did they think it would be a good idea to start selling it in DIY chains to people who mostly have no clue or experience what they are doing.

They are basically dumbing us down and taking us for muppets.
I can only imagine the amount of calls they will get from Joe saying it hasn't worked it's done this and that.

They've only just brought it back out, surely you would give it a year to see how actual spreads get on with it again and then put it on the DIY market!

If plasterers don't get on with it why would any normal person who's probably got a ragini trowel and foam hawk/hand board!

Pure greed I reckon. I like the stuff but at the price it is wouldn't dream of buying it until it's a lot nearer the cost of multi!

Thing is if they get it bad they will only make us suffer from any comebacks!

@Jgreenplastering

The reason it will fail is because of there first 'attempt' ... no plasterer with a good reputation is gonna take a gamble on it ... why would you ??? So what if BG give a guarantee ... who wants the come backs and risk of damage to your rep .

Plus lets be honest anyone who's ever dealt with BG about a bad batch knows you just get fobbed off or made promises that never happen ....

If Knauf read this give me a job (Plastering combined with a marketing degree) - id get your products on shelfs etc and make new ones that spreads 'want'... id even relocate haha

@Jgreenplastering

The reason it will fail is because of there first 'attempt' ... no plasterer with a good reputation is gonna take a gamble on it ... why would you ??? So what if BG give a guarantee ... who wants the come backs and risk of damage to your rep .

Plus lets be honest anyone who's ever dealt with BG about a bad batch knows you just get fobbed off or made promises that never happen ....

If Knauf read this give me a job (Plastering combined with a marketing degree) - id get your products on shelfs etc and make new ones that spreads 'want'... id even relocate haha

I've used it and had no issues what so ever.
I only used it on painted surfaces and artex.

You wouldn't use multi finish on bubbling paint or peeling artex...uni is no different!
It's not magic powder it has limitations like any plaster/render
Once you know these and don't abuse them it is a great product.

New products will always be blamed when issues arise regardless.

Used uni most of last week, over silky paint, old plaster bits of board and it was spot on. If anything is turns quick on board. Me and my old tutor tried a little muck around and topped it with multi on another bit of board and old plaster and it held back? And is all still up so no complaints from myself [emoji1]Infact really nice to spread but wish they'd drop it too about 7 or 8 quid a bag.

I have used it and had mixed experiences... it was lovely on some surfaces but desperate on others.

It just gives plasterers choices and options, don't think it's here to replace multi finish

I used it a couple of years back on a perfectly sound artex ceiling, it fell off same night, BG rep came out and paid for us to board over ceiling and re skim , what does that tell you ? [emoji107]

So I got to B an Q this morning to grab some skim.
I notice they are now selling Uni-finish to the DIY market!

Who the hell at BG thought that was a good idea!?

You've got a product that was recalled as time served spreads didn't agree with it.
Now it's been re marketed they decide to sell it to joe public!

So after the first attempt at getting actual plasterers to use it why did they think it would be a good idea to start selling it in DIY chains to people who mostly have no clue or experience what they are doing.

They are basically dumbing us down and taking us for muppets.
I can only imagine the amount of calls they will get from Joe saying it hasn't worked it's done this and that.

They've only just brought it back out, surely you would give it a year to see how actual spreads get on with it again and then put it on the DIY market!

If plasterers don't get on with it why would any normal person who's probably got a ragini trowel and foam hawk/hand board!

Pure greed I reckon. I like the stuff but at the price it is wouldn't dream of buying it until it's a lot nearer the cost of multi!

Thing is if they get it bad they will only make us suffer from any comebacks!

Are you serious ? You do realise they having been selling multi, board, bonding etc in wickes and b&q for decades, and it's not for the diy market in B&q it's for the domestic spreads who buy the majority of their Gear from here as it's cheaper than travis etc

Last edited:
Same, and wickes but I have heard they get you on beads because they know you buy them for convenience. Harris and Bailey near me do skim beads 98p

Are you serious ? You do realise they having been selling multi, board, bonding etc in wickes and b&q for decades, and it's not for the diy market in B&q it's for the domestic spreads who buy the majority of their Gear from here as it's cheaper than travis etc

Of course I do numbnuts! I'm talking about Uni finish though...seeing as the amount of hassle and stick people have give it!

It`s probably just all about product placement, BG probs paying shelf money to B&Q to stock it, so spreads who shop there can get it from there and it maybe pick up in long term. I never used it to be fair but i stick to multi thats good enuf for me and my clients as I would hate comebacks.

Of course I do numbnuts! I'm talking about Uni finish though...seeing as the amount of hassle and stick people have give it!

In that case you would know uni finish is aimed at the domestic market and therefore needs to be stocked at wickes and b&q or it will fail so completely the opposite to your first post numbnuts

because half of joe public don't give a fuuk how it turns out its all about money if b an q sell it its only to make more money they don't give a shhite

In that case you would know uni finish is aimed at the domestic market and therefore needs to be stocked at wickes and b&q or it will fail so completely the opposite to your first post numbnuts

Yes it's aimed at the domestic plasterer but my point is making it widely available to anyone before it's become a reputable product is not going to do it any favours is it!

Yes it's aimed at the domestic plasterer but my point is making it widely available to anyone before it's become a reputable product is not going to do it any favours is it!

They need to make it widely available to plasterers so getting it into wickes and b&q is essential for its success not doing so will ultimately see it fail.

because half of joe public don't give a fuuk how it turns out its all about money if b an q sell it its only to make more money they don't give a shhite

What ? Are you saying half of joe public don't give a s**t if you do a good job or not ? Your bonkers

In b and q today the stuffs not cheap lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 348
Status
Not open for further replies.