Why does it feel like were always up against it?

reeves1985

Had a great week this week so far doing some work for a regular customer
No pressure no hassle!
Then boom today walked of the second job in the last 2 months
All over access to the property!!!
What it boiled down to in the end was a flaming parking permit!

I specifically asked twice to be provided with a visitor's permit to park the van as it's a permit zone

House backs onto a narrow lane at the back and a playing field

Gets a text at 8:30 this morning
I've had to go to work to meet a client so I've left the key and opened the gates so you can pull the van in.

So I'm looking thinking surely he doesn't mean these gates?
Lad says to me I think he does there isn't no other gates.

Along with a few choice expletives reversed van up absolutely no chance

So gets on phone fella says you'll have to text me as can't talk
So text him saying I'm really sorry I can't get the van in the gates and I'm parked all way up top of road and can only park for 2 hours.
Is there any chance you can get a day permit to me otherwise were going to have to reschedule the work.

Gets a reply saying just park on the little lane behind
Again I'd be blocking everybody's access.

So on blower again said will have to reschedule as were not Carrying all gear half a mile up road and 3 flights of stairs to have to move an hour later and can't return for another 2 hours.
You will have to supply a permit.
So we left and went to do a little job for a kitchen fitter that was in for monday morning.

Got a great response explaining how it was the most feable excuse he'd ever heard and how could I just go and do another job when his was booked for 2 days.
Very unprofessional and unreliable!

I've invited him to come and carry the gear and tools in and notified him that whilst his job is booked in its not the only job in the area that needs doing.

What an absolute bell

I specifically asked twice yesterday as well as when quoting the job about access and parking.

There's some right tools knocking about and it seems like everywhere we turn were up against it.

All I ever seem to do on here is rant at least it's off my chest now and onwards and upwards.

I'm not quite sure what were going to do now his jobs booked for 2 days and were not allowed to do anything else according to him haha.
Oh I know we'll sit in the van whilst he takes the tools and materials in and see how long before he sacks it off!

Pmsl

Do you want to know what the answer is to hassle like this?

"It doesn't matter."

It's as simple as that. At first it's hard to do because you find yourself dropping back into the habit of getting wound up by stuff. The thing you have to focus on is that it's all trivial nonsense.

So the problem you've had with this pillock. What's the actual problem? You've lost a couple of hours. Out of what will be (hopefully) a long and full life. Other than that it comes down to the bloke being a gripper. That's his problem. He's got a bad attitude. His problem. He's sent an arsey text. His problem, don't answer it.

The big benefit to trying to rise above it all is the time you get back by not spending it stressing over stuff you can do absolutely nothing about.

It's difficult to get into that way of thinking, and it doesn't always work, but it's well worth the effort. :descansando: :D

@Reeves totally with you, constant battle. No permit the other day, risked it and didn't get ticket, but lucky. Woman once left a key for me, hidden, but couldn't get hold of her to find it. She eventually returned to let me in but too late to start. Told her this and she started crying and in a rage threw a pushchair at me. Massive whore .

@Reeves totally with you, constant battle. No permit the other day, risked it and didn't get ticket, but lucky. Woman once left a key for me, hidden, but couldn't get hold of her to find it. She eventually returned to let me in but too late to start. Told her this and she started crying and in a rage threw a pushchair at me. Massive whore .
Atleast she didnt throw the baby at you

Why risk it? If you get a ticket thats a good chunk of your days money gone. And the customers sure not going to offer you the money. f**k the lot of em.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Where had she hidden it?

It's all well and good rising above it
Which to a certain extent you can and I get where your coming from @imago
I'm generally laid back and will do a lot more than some for customer in terms of being as flexible as possible.
I even offered the fella a new date next week! Which I could because luckily I could bring a couple of days forward to fill today and tomorrow and would have been no harm done.

It just riles me that you get the odd dimwhit that tries to make things harder than they need to be
How hard is it to give me or leave me a day permit? After all I think twice is enough to ask for one!!

But as you say a couple of hours lost but there's definitely people that have bigger problems than me.

Oh well I potty the lucky fekker that does it now.

I really hate stuff like this calling me unprofessional and unreliable gets to me because that's the one thing I've spent the last God knows how many years building up a good reputation with good ethics that it does grate on me because it only takes one idiot to ruin a reputation.

Feck em mate don't ever let them make you feel like there doing you a favour.

They can call you all they like if you was unprofessional mate you won't have any work on.

Customers like that are unprofessional and lack in basic understanding of every day things.

Some customers are scatter brains or flappers but usually they will understand the basics after telling them a couple of times, then ones like this are just dam right rude and useless, feck em mate they would of probably messed you about with your money anyway if its to hard for them to pay for a £20 day parking permit.

You mis read her,,,she was giving you the come on it was a trick to get u into bed probably.

Can't remember the kid, she must have eaten it. Strange mating call if it was a come on. I remember her husband as he was a spark and was exactly 7 feet tall. He looked like the baddie from superman with the beard, so had to go steady like.

Feck em mate don't ever let them make you feel like there doing you a favour.

They can call you all they like if you was unprofessional mate you won't have any work on.

Customers like that are unprofessional and lack in basic understanding of every day things.

Some customers are scatter brains or flappers but usually they will understand the basics after telling them a couple of times, then ones like this are just dam right rude and useless, feck em mate they would of probably messed you about with your money anyway if its to hard for them to pay for a £20 day parking permit.
Never a truer word said mate

It's harder to take when you mention it from the day you price it to getting the job and sending a reminder of I need a permit yet it still ain't there when you arrive and they think we are electricians or something with one bag of tools,I bet he is a moaner in his office and wouldn't have anyone tell him how to do his job so works both ways,you haven't inconvenienced him he has you and probably best you blew it out now and found out his true character now and not when it came to payment

It's harder to take when you mention it from the day you price it to getting the job and sending a reminder of I need a permit yet it still ain't there when you arrive and they think we are electricians or something with one bag of tools,I bet he is a moaner in his office and wouldn't have anyone tell him how to do his job so works both ways,you haven't inconvenienced him he has you and probably best you blew it out now and found out his true character now and not when it came to payment

I had that as well when I originally quoted
"Can you round it down and knock that £40 off" my old lady (its her house) has said anything up to that I can just go ahead and book it in

You'd bet it would have been oh it's only taken you a day and a half can you knock some money off

Now I'm a stickler for the older generation
If it would have been his mum there or called to say can you knock that £40 off I would have done.
I don't like they way certain people take older people for mugs because they are an easy target!! That does get on my tits.

When I said no he said oh I'll have to get back to you
Needless to say within about an hour I got a text saying can you book it in!

I don't think the fella likes talking on the phone because other than the initial call all he does is text

Must be a phobia of talking man to man

I once went to do a bathroom for a old lady well I say old maybe 65-70 on her own
Originally got quoted a few grand for it done (it was big and quite lavish mind)
She then got a bill through that was 2 grand more than what the fella said when he came out thinking he could try it on because the original quote was never written down.
We got chatting and it just sort of came out and she said Im certain he said £2,500 from start to finish but he's billed me for £4,500
My jaw nearly hit the floor.
I was rotting it up in my head and just said I'm not being funny it's not even close to the original price he gave you let alone £4,500
Give me his number and I'll call him (it was a fitter I'd never done work for before)
Anyways gave him a bell told him what I thought
Ended up costing £1900
The poor old woman tried to give me £100 tip!!

But that's a different story. But I must say that made me feel better and I've ended up doing quite a lot of work for her family/friends

parking is the biggest issue for anything... My sister lives on astreet where she may or may not be able to to park near her house... That would drive me mad...

@Danny both me and my parents have the same problem

I live right next to and opposite a charity bus depot and the workers have no curtousy and never leave you a space at certain times of day if you move when you come back you could have to park 2 streets away.

My parents in the other hand live right near the hospital and you get workers and visitors parking which again means you can't park half the time.
They made it a permit zone to try a stop it but then made it available for anybody to park for 3 hours so it's still as bad with visitor's.
So the residents must pay for permits yet anybody can park free for 3 hours.
Figure that out they are getting penalised for living there
In the end they've had to knock the whole front wall down and pay nearly £1500 for the council to drop the kerb.
Now they get people using it as a place to do a 3 point turn.

It drive me and then up the wall!

You can understand people pay their road tax so can park as they please but nobody seems to have any curtousy these days

"It doesn't matter."

It's as simple as that. At first it's hard to do because you find yourself dropping back into the habit of getting wound up by stuff. The thing you have to focus on is that it's all trivial nonsense.

So the problem you've had with this pillock. What's the actual problem? You've lost a couple of hours. Out of what will be (hopefully) a long and full life. Other than that it comes down to the bloke being a gripper. That's his problem. He's got a bad attitude. His problem. He's sent an arsey text. His problem, don't answer it.

The big benefit to trying to rise above it all is the time you get back by not spending it stressing over stuff you can do absolutely nothing about.

It's difficult to get into that way of thinking, and it doesn't always work, but it's well worth the effort. :descansando: :D

Are you Buddist?

In the big scheme of life only things you can personally control should bother you......easy said then done though sometimes

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

"It doesn't matter."

Great post. I'm in a spiritual group that try and follow this type of path. It is difficult to do, we talk about how difficult it is and how we fail, but the best bit of advice I got is if you do f**k up and rant at someone (regularly) put it behind you and try again, don't give up. Find it so hard to turn the other cheek, but when I do life is so much easier. Namaste.

Great post. I'm in a spiritual group that try and follow this type of path. It is difficult to do, we talk about how difficult it is and how we fail, but the best bit of advice I got is if you do f**k up and rant at someone (regularly) put it behind you and try again, don't give up. Find it so hard to turn the other cheek, but when I do life is so much easier. Namaste.
image.jpeg

Good thread ..great advice @imago about not worrying about stuff..
I have a bit of a weirdo job at minute (again).
Same day different s**t

I hate pricing for the older generation..thing is tho there the 1s that are cushty in life and got more money than most but I still dont luke it and try find ways to make it cheaper for them

I hate pricing for the older generation..thing is tho there the 1s that are cushty in life and got more money than most but I still dont luke it and try find ways to make it cheaper for them

I had an elderly couple call me regarding a quote for a job. She said " james its a bit more than we thought is there any chance you could do it a bit cheaper?" I replied " Mom, tell dad thats the price and i dont do haggling!"
There was a sound of crying and the phone went dead! :loco: