why do we use a second coat when skimming

Members online

No members online now.

renoman79

Hi I have spent the last 6 weeks or so plastering our 4 bed house and still going, i should point out i am not a professional plasterer and i am self taught. it taking me around a week so per room working evening. i know all the steps but i not sure of the whys.

i know the first coat is to make sure the wall or ceiling is flat level and even. however i have know idea why the second coat is require. All the other step required in skimming and finishing the plaster make sense to me it just this second coat.

thank

Hi I have spent the last 6 weeks or so plastering our 4 bed house and still going, i should point out i am not a professional plasterer and i am self taught. it taking me around a week so per room working evening. i know all the steps but i not sure of the whys.

i know the first coat is to make sure the wall or ceiling is flat level and even. however i have know idea why the second coat is require. All the other step required in skimming and finishing the plaster make sense to me it just this second coat.

thank

paint it!

thank
Just one coat it and see if you notice a difference

On board it can be one coat and on a rough surface you may need three coats, two is the optimum needed for an acceptable finish.