why do we start on the right?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterroberts

got asked today why do you start from the right, and the answer of you just do didnt seem to make the lad happy, and to be honest i just cant remember the correct reason for it, obviously there is a proper reason but for the life of me i cant remember, must be old age getting to me, so if someone can jog the memory as to the correct reason for starting from the right i would appreciate it, obviously if you right handed i know if you left you start from the left, i must admit at times i have started from the left and worked across that way on small walls

Right handers start from the left so to remove the plaster line from the back edge of your trowel

you sure thats right as i am sure righties start from right to left otherwise i been doing it wrong for the past 25 years lol its probably me doing it wrong but thats the way i was taught all those years ago

something to do with pulling trowel towards you rather than pushing away but that dont seem right as we do both oh i give up I just cant remember lol

Do you start at the bottom and then do the top when skimming ? . left to right and top then bottom for me, any other way is cack handed. But as long as the finish is spot on when done who cares.

lol i knew it but hey its fine when i finished so there we go i am starting to think that i may have this the wrong way round and i do start left to right but when you doing it you dont think about it, still looking for that answer though as to why you start where you start, hoping for a better explanation than just to move the plaster line from back edge of trowel, as i still dont think that will satisfy him lol, cheers for the responses

Why do you render the opposite way round?

Danny

PS Just asking as I cant remember the last bit of rendering I did :) I have rendered a few things useless this last week :)

Why do you render the opposite way round?

Danny

PS Just asking as I cant remember the last bit of rendering I did :) I have rendered a few things useless this last week :)
simply ,it don,t fall of when your putting it on ,as you are joining to it ,i think !

apparently you feel the thickness of what you've laid on easier on the heel of the trowel and if you're laying on thick you have to go slightly more sideways than up and down so which id easier working back on yourself

Thanks spunky and everyone for replies I knew I was doing it right render from right skim from left lol as for rendering things useless if you ask my wife she tells me I'm useless all the time

lol i knew it but hey its fine when i finished so there we go i am starting to think that i may have this the wrong way round and i do start left to right but when you doing it you dont think about it, still looking for that answer though as to why you start where you start, hoping for a better explanation than just to move the plaster line from back edge of trowel, as i still dont think that will satisfy him lol, cheers for the responses

Really? WTF!!!!!!

apparently you feel the thickness of what you've laid on easier on the heel of the trowel and if you're laying on thick you have to go slightly more sideways than up and down so which id easier working back on yourself

I prefer it when you're being abusive rather than just talking boll*cks Dave.

by the book from years gone by, the right handed plasterer would do the browning or basecoat from right to left ...the finish coats would be run from left to right .

this has more to do with the toe and heal of the trowel than anything else...the toe of the trowel is always by nature the most worn in and will leave less trowel marks on the wall,

the edge of the trowel nearest the finger tips is the most worked side of the trowel,although both sides can and do wear evenly ....hence the modern day trapezoidal trowel for finishing plasters.

when browning or base coating,working from right to left (if your a right hander) is actually faster,because the end of every trowel stroke makes a pass on the previously laid on material,with excess material filling voids in the wall....right handers naturally arc to the right ...lefties to the left...makes sense right
tongue.gif

working right to left creates forward progression in application...imagine doing it in reverse and constantly stopping to drop back to tidy up your work.

by the book from years gone by, the right handed plasterer would do the browning or basecoat from right to left ...the finish coats would be run from left to right .

this has more to do with the toe and heal of the trowel than anything else...the toe of the trowel is always by nature the most worn in and will leave less trowel marks on the wall,

the edge of the trowel nearest the finger tips is the most worked side of the trowel,although both sides can and do wear evenly ....hence the modern day trapezoidal trowel for finishing plasters.

when browning or base coating,working from right to left (if your a right hander) is actually faster,because the end of every trowel stroke makes a pass on the previously laid on material,with excess material filling voids in the wall....right handers naturally arc to the right ...lefties to the left...makes sense right
tongue.gif

working right to left creates forward progression in application...imagine doing it in reverse and constantly stopping to drop back to tidy up your work.

You are the font of knowledge H

Status
Not open for further replies.