Why do we bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 'foot in the door' thing mate.........once he's in he'll be telling them "it doesn't include ceilings, walls are higher than usual, your house is bigger than usual"

We are offering a Special Discount rate of only £1,500 all in on a 2 Bedroom property being re-skimmed​
Crazy Deal of £280 per room, includes Labout & Materials!​
BOOK US WHILE THIS OFFER LASTS during Summer/Autumn 2011

isnt that why the people that relocate people out of the army go out of their way to encourage said people to get into the plastering trade? you dont need a brain, need a mastering of the english language? all you need to do is graft... easy innit...
and before you ex squaddies get on one... maybe you should review how the people that have been your BOSSES for the past (however many) years actually view YOU!!!!

point is, the trade is dying a death.... these people that ASSUME (assumption being the mother of all fuckups, as they should damn well teach you in the army) some basic understanding of economics will stand you in good stead are very..... very wrong... this BASIC understanding of how the world SHOULD work is way off the mark.... never mind the bullshit you get told... this goes for everyone without the relevant experience.... you NEED experience of dealing with the general public... and trust me, youre gonna find that the ECONOMICS of pricing is bollox... its EXPERIENCE that teaches ytou how to price... but good luck lads... you keep pricing cheap, doing us lads out of a job cos you dont mind pricing cheap cos your still learning... when your 40 odd and we sussed out how to do you c'nts out of a sh't product... dont come on here asking for advice.. :)

We are offering a Special Discount rate of only £1,500 all in on a 2 Bedroom property being re-skimmed​
Crazy Deal of £280 per room, includes Labout & Materials!​
BOOK US WHILE THIS OFFER LASTS during Summer/Autumn 2011

This has got to be a ******* wind up,some ones pulling one's pisser!!!

I guess after they've broken you and then trained you to kill people, you probably think you can do anything.

£1500 on a 2 bed property, if it's straight foward skimming and empty only about a weeks work, and no more than £100 of materials....I know it's worth more just saying, i could make that pay!....

spot on mate.... this is why its a dying game... problem is everyone is motivated by greed.. and that equates to money.... which has lead to a 'you can always find some c'nt willing to do it for f'ck all' mentality....

so short of the entire country going on strike wtf are we supposed to do about it?
serious question... and shut yer gob twitch till every f'ker else has had a pitch cos i and we know your position an your very prolly right mate... sadly... :-(

Get this, mate of mine asked me to price to float and set his sisters bathroom, I gave him a price, cant remember what it was but somewhere in the region of £400..

Didnt hear back from him about it, and saw him in the pub Friday and told him work had run dry.. his response..

"you could have done my sisters if you didnt out price yourself"
"mate, its the going rate, and Im not particularly expensive either, so come on, who did it and how much"
"the same guy who plastered my mums house, he float and set the bathroom walls and also skimmed the kitchen walls in a day"
"a day?! and how much?"
"£150"

I couldnt help but get wound up, I told him his guy even IF he could do that much in a day (which he cant, not to a good standard anyway) is a ******* mug and de valuing both himself, and the trade.

He told me "oh but hes well quick, its his choice if he does it in a day" "thats not the point, hes a s**t businessman then if he thinks thats the amount of work he needs to do to make 150 notes"

Makes my ******* blood boil, people dont respect what we do AT ALL, why the **** arent we entitled to a comfortable wage and way of life?! dont ask for a lot, just enough to have a few luxuries and a holiday once a year, just because we arent academics doesnt mean we're useless we have as much right to make a living as any other mindless commonsenseless **** that goes to uni because mummy forced them to do so ******* well in their gcse cos they couldnt think for them ******* selves. b*ll***s.

To be honest mate it would have had to be seriously big kitchen and bathroom before I hadn't done that job in a day when I was young and hungry maybe a longish day but still a day. Of course I wouldn't have only charged £150 for this but if work was a bit tight like now it'd be £200 plus the mats. This is how the quicker spreads can survive the hard times by doing jobs in a day that others would need to take two but still earning a good wage. I don't believe I'd be devaluing the trade just surviving and looking after my family.

Yeah sometimes i have to skim a room in a day on domestic, otherwise i will lose the job...And won't be worth doing over 2 days..Unless i can get away with pricing over 2 days, really can't belive hoe long some spreads take though........Proper day workers lol....

Skimming an average room in a day is one thing, but float and set a bathroom AND skim a kitchen out in a day is way beyond my speed thats for sure, and beyond anything Id ever want to do either!

I generally dont skim a room a day though as I stick to two sets, if its a three set job, Ill still price two days, unless however things are tight like they are now as I have ran out of work, so back to pricing to get the job!

Totally agree Freerider sh*t business undervaluing the product.

5. Undervaluing the Product
Hungry retailers routinely sell their work for a fraction of the fair market value. Be competitive, even aggressive, but don't give products or services away. Customers will not place value on your work unless you do.

I priced 2 jobs tonight first was h/s/l previously cocked up and a medium bedroom pva skim 540 second was a large lounge half the ceiling long wall up the stairs and entrance lobby gyp bond float a feature wall and some prepping 750 both looked at me like goldfish

The first Job he's getting done for 450 the second job she had a page long full of quotes ...oh well grand prix this weekend :)

Feckin christ its gettin worse n worse , i have earnt £275.00 this week so far and no work for the rest of the week ! .sometimes you do think of baggin up your tools n throwin them in the canal .

Id imagine on domestic if you're doing it all the time you've got to be clearing 200 a day to cover you're days off

We priced 2 jobs today and got em but we did lose a days money just driving around but the jobs are over a months work so it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.