Why are quotes all over the shop?

Members online

I had a painter once who proudly quoted he only charges £65 a day when the average at the time was £80.

what he didn’t tell me was he started at 9-9.30 and went at 3. All to do with the customers usual school run and house wifes wanted him in when they was out.

Not the case in our house. Same back in 86, got a retired sort of spread who only wanted £30 a day when it was £40 back then. But what he didn’t say was he was a 10 while 2 man.

Tbh, yes, the risk of condensation & rot on the cold faces of the rafters did bother me and if it was gonna be inhabited all the time it i'd definitely get the foil backed pb.

But how long will it take before the condensation starts to cause rot in the rafters in this situation?

We talked about trades avoiding Pakistanis and they said we only give one price- if anyone tries to knock us down we walk away " I mean, if I reduced my price by £200 all it would say is that I was overpriced by £200 in the first place" and they said their solution to being short-changed or unpaid is simply to rip the boards back down which I actually thought was fair enough!

They work for £110 a day which we all agreed was dirt cheap, but he says they struggle for work if they try raising prices. And it's a 7.30am - 4pm shift too. They're from Leeds.
£110 lol can't wait to see this plastered

£110 lol can't wait to see this plastered
My point was that when plastered it'll look OK ( for a garage ) , its two winters later when the mould , cracks , delamination of dab and sagging ceiling boards shows up because a £110 plasterer doesn't usually have the knowledge
Maybe I'm wrong in this case and they're just plodding

My point was that when plastered it'll look OK ( for a garage ) , its two winters later when the mould , cracks , delamination of dab and sagging ceiling boards shows up because a £110 plasterer doesn't usually have the knowledge
Maybe I'm wrong in this case and they're just plodding
Yeah true, save a few hundred quid not using insulated boards and make it so it doesn't pass building regs seems a mental decision

Yeah I don't get it either, I mean it's low, but they come highly recommended (for the quality of their work) and they've always been professional in their conduct - appointments, punctuality, advice on how to go about it. Want bank transfer only at end of job. I dunno man... Its not like he's doing it mates rates either. Anyway, he's getting 4 days pay even if it's done in 3 cos that's what he quoted me initially.

Anyway, I've got a question- is there a need to use pva or sbr on this job?? No, right? But the previous guy had me buy some.
Course you need it. Sbr walls then pva then board . Please say your new plasterers have done this

• Useful
Reactions: Mos
Course you need it. Sbr walls then pva then board . Please say your new plasterers have done this
Mos busy currently removing small patches of walls and ceilings whilst wife distracts spreads with in the house with cake lol

• Funny
Personally if it was my garage I would have insulated the roof and walls....but maybe Mo is happy to pay for the electric heating at a later stage or is happy with his belongings going mouldy...or storing them in insulated boxes?

So they didn't prime the walls first? corner cut...you maybe get away with it...or you may find one winters morning while your toasting a marshmallow in front of your £1 per hour electric heater that one of the boards comes away from the wall and falls on top of you...

You may have been very lucky with these plasterers you never no they may have been desperate for some reason...

But as others have said and seen many of the lads that are cheap provide no long term advice and don't have experience...

Personally if it was my garage I would have insulated the roof and walls....but maybe Mo is happy to pay for the electric heating at a later stage or is happy with his belongings going mouldy...or storing them in insulated boxes?

So they didn't prime the walls first? corner cut...you maybe get away with it...or you may find one winters morning while your toasting a marshmallow in front of your £1 per hour electric heater that one of the boards comes away from the wall and falls on top of you...

You may have been very lucky with these plasterers you never no they may have been desperate for some reason...

But as others have said and seen many of the lads that are cheap provide no long term advice and don't have experience...

I have insulated between the 6" rafters with 4" kingspan & the floor has 6" kingspan.

Ideally I would have insulated the walls too, however:

1. I really need to maximise the space.

2. The building will be inhabited for approx 4-8hrs/week. When cold, i'd have the heating on anyway. How much would I really save with extra insulation on the walls? But mostly its a space issue- I just don't have it spare. To further mitigate the effects, the sparkie has suggested I install an infrared heater (like the ones on the ceiling in Selco or toolststaion) which apparently warm bodies and not the air as much.

3. Mold needs a source of water/condensate to thrive. After I thoroughly dry the skim, where will that come from if it's only inhabited for short periods of time? What about a paint that I could use to seal the plaster against the ingress of moisture?

4. I can soak up any exceptional humidity using a switched dehumidifier.

5. Trickle vents in the 4 veluxes and doors should maintain good air flow.

In summary, I get the extra space but it costs me a bit more to keep things comfortable.

Okay, pva-ing clean, dry blockwork prior to d&d.....
Why is that necessary?

I have insulated between the 6" rafters with 4" kingspan & the floor has 6" kingspan.

2. The building will be inhabited for approx 4-8hrs/week. When cold, i'd have the heating on anyway. How much would I really save with extra insulation on the walls? But mostly its a space issue- I just don't have it spare. To further mitigate the effects, the sparkie has suggested I install an infrared heater (like the ones on the ceiling in Selco or toolststaion) which apparently warm bodies and not the air as much.

3. Mold needs a source of water/condensate to thrive. After I thoroughly dry the skim, where will that come from if it's only inhabited for short periods of time? What about a paint that I could use to seal the plaster against the ingress of moisture?

In summary, I get the extra space but it costs me a bit more to keep things comfortable.

Why is that necessary?
Prevent em getting a effelangy

State of play as we speak. 2 days work

3 boards & 6 bags of adhesive left over!

Attachments

• IMG_20191019_175729.jpg
    IMG_20191019_175729.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20191019_150759.jpg
    IMG_20191019_150759.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20191019_144926.jpg
    IMG_20191019_144926.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20191019_145008.jpg
    IMG_20191019_145008.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20191019_144904.jpg
    IMG_20191019_144904.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20191019_144913.jpg
    IMG_20191019_144913.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20191019_141732.jpg
    IMG_20191019_141732.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 162
You on the lash son! (y) ;)

Why is that necessary?
cba read it all but pva kills the suction a bit and allows the dabs to dry natrually. If they dry to fast the bond to wall is comprimised. And can fail later on

State of play as we speak. 2 days work

3 boards & 6 bags of adhesive left over!
Looks decent enough for 4 days labour tbh. Not sure why they plaster such a small section but that's about the only thing. I personally wouldn't PVA the blocks, not sure why the rest would. No reason the adhesive should dry to quickly unless it's aerated blocks? In which case I just give them a good brush with water prior

How many bags of adhesive did they use?

Looks decent enough for 4 days labour tbh. Not sure why they plaster such a small section but that's about the only thing. I personally wouldn't PVA the blocks, not sure why the rest would. No reason the adhesive should dry to quickly unless it's aerated blocks? In which case I just give them a good brush with water prior

100%

Pving block work before dabbing f**k**g ridiculous mrs jones spreads dont know there arse from there elbows!

Theve never been on a proper job in there lifes!

4 bags. For about 15 boards...
Yeah I thought it was too few too... Whatever man, I'm gonna trust these fellas know what they're doing- they've been at 60yrs between em. Takin to me about hardwall today and how that was dogs b*ll***s- just can't get it today apparently. And something called carlite??

Oh and they did some law courts in Belfast back in the 90s with fibrous plaster which apparently is bomb-proof (but a bitch to work with)!??

However, they'd never heard of magnetic plaster...

Yeah I thought it was too few too... Whatever man, I'm gonna trust these fellas know what they're doing- they've been at 60yrs between em. Takin to me about hardwall today and how that was dogs b*ll***s- just can't get it today apparently. And something called carlite??

Oh and they did some law courts in Belfast back in the 90s with fibrous plaster which apparently is bomb-proof (but a bitch to work with)!??

Oh dear meant to be a bag for every 2 boards.

If its thermalites I stanley walls for physical grab , wet mix PVA to stabilize , 7n I don't bother , maybe dampen if heat wave

Wow a bag for 4 boards is ridiculous tbh. Especially as it looks like the boards are flush with the electric boxes so there's a 12.5mm cavity behind the board

or bead tape?

100%

Pving block work before dabbing f**k**g ridiculous mrs jones spreads dont know there arse from there elbows!

Theve never been on a proper job in there lifes!

you’re probably right however i always at least wet the wall. Usually a weak pva mix. Not just about suction but dust on walls.