Who doesnt flatten between coats

I always flatten between coats but seen others not few years back .just wondered what trick was .
I asked similar question a while ago I used to second coat straight on top and flatten as I went along, now I tend to break the set up in two, flatten after first coat, rinse the bucket , mix again and second coat. Everything seems to have slowed down though working like that. Would like to increase output and decrease time.

I asked similar question a while ago I used to second coat straight on top and flatten as I went along, now I tend to break the set up in two, flatten after first coat, rinse the bucket , mix again and second coat. Everything seems to have slowed down though working like that. Would like to increase output and decrease time.
Same

we lay the first coat on very tight and neat, nothing to flatten. with the second coat is applied to suite the size of the hit.

I dont see the point tbh. Our lab mixes 1.bag buckets, so gear is always relatively fresh. Its usually new work we do, so first coat two walls in first room, then second coat them and move into next room, same again. If It sitting really soft, will first coat both rooms before dropping back to double coat.

I
Think said before we plaster the same malc thin scratch to give or take the suction then a thicker 2nd which allows more time to trowel!

Don't meet many people that do it that way but I think it works better than other way round imo!
I do it over bonding or high suction walls sometimes. Tight first coat so no ribs then good second coat over it

Old school ... 1st coat 2nd coat 1st trowel up and down 2nd trowel left to right 3rd trowel up and down. Always trowel early (to stay ahead of the gear) and no water on p/b. Mind you i don't use stainless trowels and can happily shave with both my setting trowels (Marshaltown 13x5 & Marshaltown 14x4&3/4) ....

Flattening is a waste of time unless you have lost your first coat and need to pull lines out of it. But you have f**k*d up if your at that stage.
3 gauges a day second coating with the same gear you first coat.
Big flexi tub mixes two bags. We do 3 bag gauges each roughly and lab puts on his own small gauge after he mixed for us. Putting cupboards and shitty bits on. Board finish this is. Multi might be different.

We put between 3 n 4 bags on for first coat . Clean buckets out . Flatten n tidy edges then mix.s half of what we just done and put that on. Owt left we.ll one coatbits in cupboard.s.
2 sets a day

I do one bag wait a bit then flatten. Then mix small amount.......... oh fook it it's only skimming and my head hurts .
So ye flatten ha . I.m mainly asking as young ens flying and just seeing how i can tweak things to get more out of him and more in for me lol

Pay him a bit more you tight ass, he might have a bit extra to give you in return!!
Mate he gets a good wage . All he wants to do is skim. We put a big set o n other day 3 meter high ceiling and he told me he.s ok with it if i want to go do some prepping.i.ve seen gyys who talk the talk n been doing it years but cant get a finish like him

Mate he gets a good wage . All he wants to do is skim. We put a big set o n other day 3 meter high ceiling and he told me he.s ok with it if i want to go do some prepping.i.ve seen gyys who talk the talk n been doing it years but cant get a finish like him

he sounds keen, that’s good. But don’t take advantage of his enthusiasm. Explain how this game can batter the body in no time. Work smarter not harder

If you’re lucky enough to be hitting board everyday then can same mix.

Not gonna work on backgrounds that hang longer than the bucket.

he sounds keen, that’s good. But don’t take advantage of his enthusiasm. Explain how this game can batter the body in no time. Work smarter not harder
I.ve told him not to do more then two sets a day. Unless you get a little job to squeeze in for good money every now n then on a night.Mistake i made. All builders i work for always say i.ve dropped on with him . I tell him he.ll f**k me but he seems happy enough just turning up n dont want stress of chasing work

Think said before we plaster the same malc thin scratch to give or take the suction then a thicker 2nd which allows more time to trowel!

Don't meet many people that do it that way but I think it works better than other way round imo!

Never tried it that way

Tj
I.ve told him not to do more then two sets a day. Unless you get a little job to squeeze in for good money every now n then on a night.Mistake i made. All builders i work for always say i.ve dropped on with him . I tell him he.ll f**k me but he seems happy enough just turning up n dont want stress of chasing work[/QUOTE
Im like that atm, happy just to bounce into another mans van and lift a wage at end of the week. Though def would like to get a van and go do me own thing, but hard to argue with stress free work life too.

Did a ceiling today . Went straight over it with same gear .(mixed to much) came up sweet as. Not sure i.d be fast enough to do a full room this way but defo opened me eyes to possibility. Not with same gear like. I.d say it prob saved me a hour but it was third time we had skimmed f**k**g ceiling lol

when we really want to speed a set up, we mix enough for the complete set, lay on a tight first coat, then remix the plaster and lay on the 2nd coat.

Did my kitchen ceiling this morning, fresh boards but the joists were out a bit so.......little bit of a @zombie mix with some old gear so I didn’t have to wait......mixed up some “dirty” multi and laid in scrim and 1st coated.......washed up. Then yes, flattened in, with the speedy! looked nice and I was tempted to leave the second coat in the bag............nah! Couldn’t do it......mixed up a lovely fresh, clean mix and laid at right angles to the first coat......washed up. Trowelled edges, speedy all over drank tea, more speedy, tidy up, light speedy, wash in edges and trowel, lift dust sheets, drink tea, metal speedy, tools away, prep another ceiling, shower, telly.

when we really want to speed a set up, we mix enough for the complete set, lay on a tight first coat, then remix the plaster and lay on the 2nd coat.

When I do that the second coat sets quicker than the first coat then it all goes to s**t