which to get ox speedskim or refina speedskim

Members online

Refina spat for me, speedskim tends to drag and pull/tear at the work. Most people on here like the speedskim though which I don’t understand.

I've got both Speedy and spats the difference IMO is that the speedy can be used to straighten as well as flatten skim, whereas a spat will only smooth it over.
The speedy is flexible plastic so I’ve not thought of it as a straightening style tool. I’m in the minority not liking it I know that. I’ve tried all the speedskim blades and for me they’re all gash. I don’t flatten when the skim is piss wet through either so I guess that explains my tearing and dragging problems.

Tooa
The speedy is flexible plastic so I’ve not thought of it as a straightening style tool. I’m in the minority not liking it I know that. I’ve tried all the speedskim blades and for me they’re all gash. I don’t flatten when the skim is piss wet through either so I guess that explains my tearing and dragging problems.
tottally agree with this

I felt when I got the Speedskim an the rifina plastic one. When I flattened down with it at a good time.. I had to look over it all an fix corners an hallows from the Speedskims so, unless it’s a massive ceiling I found I was just as quick using the carbon an getting it all done as I go instead of running back to go over bits.. my experience though. Others maybe better then me :coffe:

Speedskim can be used with great success on site. You don’t flatten the gear when is too wet. To work properly it needs a bit of body. You can flatten with close angle and you can straighten the wal by opening it a bit . It takes some of the gear and leaves you with great surface to trowel. At this point I use my refina spat -0.7mm blade and is amazing. To get the best of them you need to hit the right time to use them otherwise they are useles.

Speedskim can be used with great success on site. You don’t flatten the gear when is too wet. To work properly it needs a bit of body. You can flatten with close angle and you can straighten the wal by opening it a bit . It takes some of the gear and leaves you with great surface to trowel. At this point I use my refina spat -0.7mm blade and is amazing. To get the best of them you need to hit the right time to use them otherwise they are useles.
Is that stiffer blade spat good for bagged render do you think?

Who sells them mate

Got mines from refina

http://www.refina.co.uk/acatalog/32--s*p*r*lex-Skimming-Spatula-Rule---228062.html#SID=54

119F849F-EEF2-4FC6-9D35-01A44268D343.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got both Speedy and spats the difference IMO is that the speedy can be used to straighten as well as flatten skim, whereas a spat will only smooth it over.

never thought I would hear you sing the praises of speedskim :D I remember all those years ago :D

never thought I would hear you sing the praises of speedskim :D I remember all those years ago :D
It's like a lot of new things that come to market Danny, there's too much bullshit, over hype and absurd claims made, once you dig past that there's often a genuine place for them. I still don't think they'd get used half as much if the plaster itself was up to scratch.

It's like a lot of new things that come to market Danny, there's too much bullshit, over hype and absurd claims made, once you dig past that there's often a genuine place for them. I still don't think they'd get used half as much if the plaster itself was up to scratch.

yup I remember the original marketing campaign.... that soon changed... let the tool do the selling :D