Which plugs or bolts to use please

Ianbrady04

Hi all, just curious if anyone can help, my 10 year old is into basketball and I have bought a hoop for her but we have render on the outside of the house. I did put the hoop up with regular wall plugs ‍♂️ and didnt go down well once the ball hits the rim of the hoop and its vibrated out basically I'm wondering what type of plug or wall anchor is best to use due to the vibration so it's solid. I'm not sure how thick the render is to choose the length of plug either, if anyone could help I would appreciate it massively and don't laugh at my first time f**k up

Also this hoop has since completely fell out of the wall so also could I pack the previous holes too and reuse them or would I need to start again an inch or so along

Attachments

• IMG-20211018-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20211018-WA0004.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG-20211018-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20211018-WA0003.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 155
Hi all, just curious if anyone can help, my 10 year old is into basketball and I have bought a hoop for her but we have render on the outside of the house. I did put the hoop up with regular wall plugs ‍♂️ and didnt go down well once the ball hits the rim of the hoop and its vibrated out basically I'm wondering what type of plug or wall anchor is best to use due to the vibration so it's solid. I'm not sure how thick the render is to choose the length of plug either, if anyone could help I would appreciate it massively and don't laugh at my first time f**k up

Also this hoop has since completely fell out of the wall so also could I pack the previous holes too and reuse them or would I need to start again an inch or so along

you want to make sure you get through the render and into the blockwork behind it really...

gently drill out the old plug then you can see the depth of render - don't pull it or the render will maybe come with it. Then drill deeper for a longer screw as suggested above.
ersonally I use 10mm plugs and coach screws because it's easier to wind them in with a socket set - put some oil/WD40 on them first then they won't shear off when screwing in. (Made that mistake myself)

We just put a eye bolt in to attach phone line to. We used that resin stuff instead of a plug. Jesus christ that stuff sets like stone

Yeah, and when the hoop has gone rusty and the kids don't want it, you can't get the damn thing off and have to use a grinder and scarf the render up.

Age-old dilemma - do you risk a plastic rawl plug (or frame-fixing) or expanding rawl-bolt, any of which may eventually crack the brick, or do you go for the no-stress option of resin?

Pros & cons, pros & cons....