which plasterboard and how to enclose steel beams

Members online

Pugs way or...

Put little nogins in for sides screw cheaks and leave couple inch over hang then...

Screw slate through sides of plasterboard ensuring all nice and level...

Trim off excess and you now have timber to screw the bottom to!!!

Zombie wins!!!:numberone:

Building inspectors don't pass it like that anymore though Malc , they want to see screw fixing in at least nog or batten, last one told me it's because the screw will not melt before the adhesive would come away from the steel , his words not mine , don't shoot the messenger.
:frio:
:popcorn:
Don't worry @mundungus we will get to a conclusion in a bit.. Any pictures yet?

i have seen the damage of a fire in my local high street store. the heat was intense the steel rsj s stretched under the heat and pushed the walls of both the adjoining stores out of plumb. all 3 building had to be pulled down.

the adhesive may give way in a fire, but screws will melt and noggins will burn.

on large commercial work , we have had plaster cast beams, cast in a factory to clad rsjs.

Pugs way..noggin way or malcs way..done them all..pugs way is best way mind and easiest way wen boarding them

Or like I said at start go ikea for the units in the kitchen , downgrade the £50m2 antico flooring for a nice £15-£20 wood click together, sack the builder off who took all the money and get a plasterer in with the £1200 I just saved you bud.
:bailando:
And maybe there will be enough savings to get painter in if talk the mrs out of having them induction hob things , just normal electric ones instead. :hola:

I've fitted a couple of ikea kitchens. Don't do it! Both of em were a right ball ache.

It really does baffle me how people think oh Il do plastering to save money as ant got any left..build urself a nice open plan new extension then plaster it urself..just save till u can afford a professional it wont cost the earth..imagine urself dotting all ur new kitchen walls and there all out of plumb etc

Put your noggins in at 400 or 600 and mark then on the ceiling, over hang the cheeks of the beam and fix a roofing Batton to the backside of the board fixing through the front. If you have a. Lazer they are a god send, set it up on the back levelling the batton. Then double board in fire line staggering the joints and taping the first skin like what's been said.

Put your noggins in at 400 or 600 and mark then on the ceiling, over hang the cheeks of the beam and fix a roofing Batton to the backside of the board fixing through the front. If you have a. Lazer they are a god send, set it up on the back levelling the batton. Then double board in fire line staggering the joints and taping the first skin like what's been said.

That's exactly what I said!!!!

And for some reason I got a funny???

I've fitted a couple of ikea kitchens. Don't do it! Both of em were a right ball ache.
:wtf:
Come on , they same carcus as any other , I hate ikea snobs :wtf:

I think you just starting on me now because my way is better than yours. :maraca:

You lot are getting me mad now.. :musculoso:

Tbh I starting to think most of you haven't got a clue what your on about

:wtf:
Come on , they same carcus as any other , I hate ikea snobs :wtf:

I think you just starting on me now because my way is better than yours. :maraca:

You lot are getting me mad now.. :musculoso:

Tbh I starting to think most of you haven't got a clue what your on about
Why do you think you fit in so well? :)

I think the op has left having a melt down you lot made it all sound to complicated , I do hope he realise I was right simple plasterers way and don't go out and buy a Hilti and a lazer :wtf:
I think you lot should just let me deal with the DIY section from now on.

It really does baffle me how people think oh Il do plastering to save money as ant got any left..build urself a nice open plan new extension then plaster it urself..just save till u can afford a professional it wont cost the earth..imagine urself dotting all ur new kitchen walls and there all out of plumb etc

Honestly, it didn't go that way.

I'm the first to admit that I'm naive about the building trade, this is my first experience at such a major project. I count myself as a competent DIYer, but like to think I know my limits. Plastering and screeding were never on my radar to do myself, as I've tried both once before, and neither went well.

The money has run out once already on this build, so we borrowed more, and that is now running out quickly. It has just been soaked up by all the 'extras' that never appear on any quote, but once a tradesman is on site and tells you that something needs doing and costs £X or the whole thing grinds to a halt, you're kinda held to ransom. So suddenly you've paid over double of what the original quotes added up to, and here we are. No house to move back into (we're currently living in a caravan with two small children) and nowhere near done.

I've done batten and boarding before (with a pro skimming it), and that was fine. Never tried dot and dab before, but will give it a go. I really don't want to attempt the screeding as if you feck that up, it's a real problem. Ideally not the external rendering either but will if I have to.

I really do appreciate the skill of a good plasterer and don't sell that short for a second. I would love to have it all done by an expert, but am struggling to even get them to turn up to quote. The odd one that has, is quoting thousands just for the external rendering, which I'm told is about 6 or 7 days work at most. That's more than we have left, so I'm in a fix, and need to finish the project somehow.

New kitchens are not happening right now BTW, cheap or otherwise. We still have part of the old kitchen left, so just need to prop up a kitchen sink to get by. I'm more concerned about getting the bedroom space sorted so we can move back in.

The promised photos.

IMG_8594.jpg
IMG_8599.jpg
IMG_8603.jpg

I think the op has left having a melt down you lot made it all sound to complicated , I do hope he realise I was right simple plasterers way and don't go out and buy a Hilti and a lazer :wtf:
I think you lot should just let me deal with the DIY section from now on.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, do those Hilti guns go through steel? if so, how thick steel?

Youve got your hands full there mate if your not a spread.

Yeah I know. Its quite a big area, walls and ceilings, both upstairs and down.

I'm not afraid of grafting, I just don't have the knowledge or skills (but always happy to learn from those that do).

What extras have you been paying out for? Have you been changing things or is everything still as planned? I work for a good few builders and the best one puts his price in Broken down by a qs and he never goes over that price no matter what. I got him to price one for my mate and he was 20g more expensive than other two and my mate went for cheapest against my advice. Bumped into him two weeks ago and he was telling me all the extras the cheapest builder added on took it to more than the 20g extra that the guy I recommend wanted.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, do those Hilti guns go through steel? if so, how thick steel?
I don't use them mate honestly there is a lot to get right in those pictures,probably to much to talk you through tbh.
I know the money side is a problem but strongly advise you get a good plasterer off here in to advise and quote then at least you know what your up against. Even if they just do the steel prep for you they may be okay if you board the walls(that's quite easy) and let plasterer skim it all as well it might not cost as much as you think.

Your wasting more money hiring/buying tools you dont know anything about.
+ materials etc.

Good luck anyway sir......its better than sitting on your arse !!!

What extras have you been paying out for? Have you been changing things or is everything still as planned? I work for a good few builders and the best one puts his price in Broken down by a qs and he never goes over that price no matter what. I got him to price one for my mate and he was 20g more expensive than other two and my mate went for cheapest against my advice. Bumped into him two weeks ago and he was telling me all the extras the cheapest builder added on took it to more than the 20g extra that the guy I recommend wanted.

We didn't go with one firm for everything, but took good recommendations for the trades we have used so far, and have been more than happy with the quality of the work from all of them. They all know their stuff, but perhaps our naivety of the building trade and the poor descriptions on quotes apparently leaves large gaps between what each trade has signed up for, which all can be sorted out for a price... The architect/structural engineer has been overseeing the project, but obviously his time costs too.

We haven't changed anything from the original plans ourselves.

A couple of examples.
Day three of the ground workers on site, one of them says. "what about the oversight? The boss doesn't usually include that in his quotes." I had no idea what 'oversight' was so had to google it. Apparently, the foundations concrete stops a couple of feet below ground level, 'oversight' is the name given to the few tonnes of earth that's higher than the concrete level within the boundary of the building. They can remove it (within half a day as it turns out) for the sum of about 2.6k. That and the fact that certain parts of the foundations needed to be deeper than the plans said due to tree roots, meant the ground works was a few thousand over budget. They then tried to fleece us 4.5k more for the surface drainage (rain water) that was explicitly excluded from the original quote. £5k to dig a hole and fill with peas shingle? (we declined, I'll dig it by hand for 5k)

Another example.
Just last week, we've paid for the soffit and fascias. We had already committed to the windows colour, and wanted these to match. Who'd have thought that a dozen lengths of plastic could cost over 2 grand? I priced the guttering for the whole house at about £100 from Wickes, for a similar amount of plastic. But again, with the roofers saying they are being held up by the chippy, who is waiting to fit the soffit and fascias just as soon as they turn up, we feel like we're paying ransom prices again to keep things moving.

The list goes on.

Your wasting more money hiring/buying tools you dont know anything about.
+ materials etc.

Good luck anyway sir......its better than sitting on your arse !!!

No, I'm not about to hire one of those. In a geeky way I like playing with power tools, just never come across something that can punch a nail through 10mm of steel. That must be frightening to hold onto?