which plaster for what background?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannypriestno1

Can anyone tell me what plasters are used for what type of background?

-Multifinish
-Browning
-Board finish
-Hardwall
-Drywall
-Bonding coat
Any others applicable, also if its an undercoat/base plaster what finishing plaster should be used?

Many thanks
Dan

1 - it tells you on the front/back of each bag
2 - if you dont have a bag of whichever one at hand, go to the Brit Gyp Website, Knauf Website etc
3 - download the tech sheets for each product either to your pc or your smartphone

I have the tech sheets for all of the products on my phone in PDF format for reference - cos im shite at remembering how many litres of water to mix to "X Amount" of drywall adhesive/finish/bond etc..... but then again, it usually tells you on the bag anyway.

actually i have now marked the water levels for bonding/hardwall and finish on the side of my mixing bucket... keeps my mucky fingers off me phone you see

Last edited:
You lot aren't very nice to someone who just wants a bit of help to take some work away from a time served tradesman, shame on you all :RpS_mad:

being serious....

A very quick guide...

1. Multifinish - Hence the name multi - backgrounds, such as plasterboard, old/new plaster, backing plasters, internal render etc
2. Browning - Is for moderate suction backgrounds, but not not used as much these days
3. Board finish - For plasterboards and other backgrounds except backing plasters
4. Hardwall - Good tough backing plaster for high suction backgrounds, such as thermalite blocks, old brick, etc
5. Dri-wall - For dot and dabbing plasterboards onto most backgrounds, (depending on background may need to be keyed / treated)
6. bonding - backing plaster for low suction backgrounds such as glazed (treated with thistle bond it/pva) surfaces, eml, plaster, dense backgrounds, plasterboards, polysterene soffits etc

being serious....

A very quick guide...

1. Multifinish - Hence the name multi - backgrounds, such as plasterboard, old/new plaster, backing plasters, internal render etc
2. Browning - Is for moderate suction backgrounds, but not not used as much these days
3. Board finish - For plasterboards and other backgrounds except backing plasters
4. Hardwall - Good tough backing plaster for high suction backgrounds, such as thermalite blocks, old brick, etc
5. Dri-wall - For dot and dabbing plasterboards onto most backgrounds, (depending on
background may need to be keyed / treated)
6. bonding - backing plaster for low suction backgrounds such as glazed (treated with thistle bond it/pva) surfaces, eml, plaster, dense backgrounds, plasterboards, polysterene soffits etc

Creep

Sorry guys just read the other thread where he says he's a fireman. Tell him **** all he should be resting on his rest days w**k*r.

all of our advice has been deleted andy :RpS_mad:

am i the only one that uses board finish on every background?

i dont notice much difference to be honest, but if its on bonding/s&c etc its gonna go fast no matter what it is

what did you expect coming on a plastering forum. to an industry strugling along,
saying you have a full time job then asking for basic plastering advice to go out and charge the public to undertake plastering in there houses thus taking work off plasterers when there are timeserved spreads with nothng on.

Status
Not open for further replies.