Which MT Permashape to buy?

Members online

GrumpyChap

Hello,

Total newbie to plastering but I'm going to attempt to practice skimming on a small wall and I noticed that there's a lot of recommendations on here for the MT Permashape.

However, some websites I've looked at are suggesting that there is a permashape plastering trowel and a finishing trowel, but they seem to look identical - are they both one and the same?

I was looking on Screwfix at the 13" (or maybe 14") gold stainless steel permashape finishing trowel to apply the 1st and 2nd coats. Am I along the right lines or do I need to get a different one?

Also, I've been given a brand new Nela black premium elite trowel and wondering at what stages can this be used?

Hello,

Total newbie to plastering but I'm going to attempt to practice skimming on a small wall and I noticed that there's a lot of recommendations on here for the MT Permashape.

However, some websites I've looked at are suggesting that there is a permashape plastering trowel and a finishing trowel, but they seem to look identical - are they both one and the same?

I was looking on Screwfix at the 13" (or maybe 14") gold stainless steel permashape finishing trowel to apply the 1st and 2nd coats. Am I along the right lines or do I need to get a different one?

Also, I've been given a brand new Nela black premium elite trowel and wondering at what stages can this be used?
At the gullible stage.

Hello,

Go get the golden 13 inch if shelf at b n q

Hello,

That nela is their new equivalent to a permashape

Hello,

MT Permashape is a 'Marmite' trowel - some love 'em, some hate 'em.

MT Permashape is a standard 'laying-on' trowel, and can be used for all stages of plastering a wall.

Nela Black Premium Elite trowel is used in the same way as the above.

There are other trowels that are broadly termed 'flexi-trowels', and they can make life a bit easier during later stages of plastering a wall, but they are NOT essential. They are also NOT suitable for laying-on (i.e. not suitable for actually applying the wet plaster from the hawk to the wall). If you try to use a flexi-trowel to lay-on with, you may end up with ripples on the wall, because the blade isn't stiff enough to make the plaster behave exactly as you want it to - the flexi blade can tend to ride over ripples on the surface instead of forcing them flat.

If you've got a hawk/handboard and a Nela Black Premium Elite trowel, then you don't really need to buy anything else, other than a big bucket and something to mix the plaster with.

Just to avoid any confusion -

this is a laying-on trowel:

and this is a flexi-trowel:

I am assuming, from your description, that you have the trowel in the first link.

Last edited:
13 x 5 MT permashape.... nice middle of the road trowel not to big or small, ditch the poxy gimmicky Nela sell it to some other mug, any decent spread should be able skim with one trowel only, keeps things simple and uncomplicated.

Got none in stock near me, is this the same as the Screwfix one I linked to as they have it in stock.

Something more constructive, please?

Get an 11” trowel, you’ll be able to apply more pressure when you need to and you’ll have more control.

Thanks for the replies.

So a laying on trowel could be called a finishing trowel but I need to look for one that is not described as flexible, right?

@ makeitsmooth, Yes I do have a hawk, I won some plastering goods in a raffle so I've also got a 900mm Speedskim plastic spatula and a metal blade and bucket trowel. Already got a bucket and a mixing paddle so covered with that too.

The Nela is 14" in size and feels quite big in the hand to hold so I'm probably looking to go down a size or two. An 11" option sounds good but I don't want to spend money on that if I'm probably going to have t updgrade in 6 months to a 13" and would rather try to get on with that size now.

If the 13" is worth sticking to then I might just go for that instead of the 11". I also don't mind getting a flexi trowel if it helps and is easier to finish with than a laying on trowel.

Thanks for the replies.

So a laying on trowel could be called a finishing trowel but I need to look for one that is not described as flexible, right?

@ makeitsmooth, Yes I do have a hawk, I won some plastering goods in a raffle so I've also got a 900mm Speedskim plastic spatula and a metal blade and bucket trowel. Already got a bucket and a mixing paddle so covered with that too.

The Nela is 14" in size and feels quite big in the hand to hold so I'm probably looking to go down a size or two. An 11" option sounds good but I don't want to spend money on that if I'm probably going to have t updgrade in 6 months to a 13" and would rather try to get on with that size now.

If the 13" is worth sticking to then I might just go for that instead of the 11". I also don't mind getting a flexi trowel if it helps and is easier to finish with than a laying on trowel.

Just get one trowel, don’t over complicate it. Buying a set of 10k golf clubs won’t make you a championship golfer.

Very expensive game if u want it to be, I just buy bits now and again so not so costly at once.
Trying to get into it a bit so bought some ping irons off a mate just need a putting cue and some big headed ones oh and a bag if you got anything lying around and want to sell :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Trying to get into it a bit so bought some ping irons off a mate just need a putting cue and some big headed ones oh and a bag if you got anything lying around and want to sell :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I do have a spare bag and trolley that’s built into one , that is decent nick just the break is iffy . it’s even got a seat on it, make is sun mountain and cost me £300+ U can have it for 50 sheets if u want it pal

I’d have a load of spare clubs for u too but I’m kak handed lol unless u r