Which countries plaster vs dry line?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimble

Just a curiosity really, in which countries is plastering still prominent? I believe dry lining is the norm in USA, Australia, I know in France newbuilds are all drylined (with shitty metal studwork!) as I've done some work there.

Any one know about other countries?

Germany is bit of both but their internal plaster is one coat and machine applied as is their external render (machine applied) their external render is one coat too and is a lightweight cement bit like hardwall. Then your choice of finish etc on top or that ewi stuff

spain mostly sand /cement backings.... same with render

My in laws have a house in southern Spain near Granada and they told me that a sort of spray on filler is commonly used. It's a rough old finish but suits the old houses I guess.

Around here (Seattle,WA US) back in the 1980's we had around 450 plasters in the Union, now the union couldn't afford to keep a full time business agent on, they had to get rid of their office and got absorbed by the cement finishers union, might be less than 100 plasters in the union now and they hardly ever get sent out, most of them only do EFIS (or EWI) and stucco. Two weeks ago I bid a job (water damage/ insurance) and the general contractor told me that two hours later another contractor (one that's been around for over 50 years) came out and did an estimate, they mentioned to him that they knew I was biding on the job, (not sure how they knew that) and the general couldn't find a third contractor to bid it he was supposed to get three bids. On the other hand everything is sheet rocked/dry lined around here.

Around here (Seattle,WA US) back in the 1980's we had around 450 plasters in the Union, now the union couldn't afford to keep a full time business agent on, they had to get rid of their office and got absorbed by the cement finishers union, might be less than 100 plasters in the union now and they hardly ever get sent out, most of them only do EFIS (or EWI) and stucco. Two weeks ago I bid a job (water damage/ insurance) and the general contractor told me that two hours later another contractor (one that's been around for over 50 years) came out and did an estimate, they mentioned to him that they knew I was biding on the job, (not sure how they knew that) and the general couldn't find a third contractor to bid it he was supposed to get three bids. On the other hand everything is sheet rocked/dry lined around here.

Loren, if a new high spec mansion was built, would it still be drylined?

Loren, if a new high spec mansion was built, would it still be drylined?
They probably would dryline it in most cases. The last mansion that I'm aware of that was built new in recent times around here that was plastered (3/4"/2mm thick stuff) was for the guy that owns Starbucks Coffee, my brother worked on it. The only reason they might plaster a mansion around here is because the Architects get a percentage of the total cost and the plaster would put more money into the project. There have been some new projects that have used Veneer plaster over blue veneer board - for most around here that is their idea of full blown plastering. We had an awesome mansion built a while back where they installed veneer plaster on all the walls & ceilings, (again my brother did most of it) and they brought a crew over from the UK and spent over a year installing ornamental plaster everywhere. Maybe one of the guys here was on it? It had a secret name.... "The Northend Residence", I heard the owner was a money manager for Bill Gates/ Microsoft.

They probably would dryline it in most cases. The last mansion that I'm aware of that was built new in recent times around here that was plastered (3/4"/2mm thick stuff) was for the guy that owns Starbucks Coffee, my brother worked on it. The only reason they might plaster a mansion around here is because the Architects get a percentage of the total cost and the plaster would put more money into the project. There have been some new projects that have used Veneer plaster over blue veneer board - for most around here that is their idea of full blown plastering. We had an awesome mansion built a while back where they installed veneer plaster on all the walls & ceilings, (again my brother did most of it) and they brought a crew over from the UK and spent over a year installing ornamental plaster everywhere. Maybe one of the guys here was on it? It had a secret name.... "The Northend Residence", I heard the owner was a money manager for Bill Gates/ Microsoft.

It surprises me that they build houses with travertine tiles, graniteworktops etc, then finish your walls like a travel lodge.

It surprises me that they build houses with travertine tiles, graniteworktops etc, then finish your walls like a travel lodge.
Around here the plasters union had a good grip on all the well trained plasterers, they also ran the apprenticeship program. Not so for the drywall/ dryliners there ranks were almost all non union and they worked by the square foot/meter. Every year the plasters got another couple of dollar raise and they would lose a little more work, now they've priced themselves out of the market. The plaster's union lost so many members they had to close their offices and go in with the cement finishers. Their business agent is now a part timer. Also a lot of their work was EFI work and there was a lot of lawsuits over improper work causing mold on the inside walls, to avoid being attached to lawsuits architects have spec'd in less and less of that kind of finish. THe material house I deal with said this was their worst year for selling plaster products, luckily they sell a lot of concrete.

canada all drylined... granite worktops are standard, if you aint got granite your trailer park boyz...

canada all drylined... granite worktops are standard, if you aint got granite your trailer park boyz...

I just used granite work tops as an example. What I mean is I'd of thought in high spec houses people would demand plastered walls. Dry lining looks and feels so cheap.

I just used granite work tops as an example. What I mean is I'd of thought in high spec houses people would demand plastered walls. Dry lining looks and feels so cheap.
Its all they do in canada mate, drylining is ok... if its done properly, like plastering really..

Status
Not open for further replies.