Where's all the Real spreads at????

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
I'm struggling like hell to find any decent spreads at the minute..... actual real plasterers who have experience and know how in all aspects!

I need another team of spreads to do my domestic internals but all I seem get is chancers who are barely even 'skimmers'!

I'm not looking for the worlds best tradesman but all I seem to get is muppets who struggle to board a ceiling or ruff a wall!

It can't be the money as I'm happy to pay what it takes, I only want a good tidy job. Not cheap and quick as most people assume!
Ok the day work is the best but I'm happy to give price work to those who can show they do well. They only have to turn up and do the work, no paperwork, no quoting no planning.

I know we're going through a busy time but I just don't think the skilled trade is there anymore.

I blame these quick courses spreading false hope into people with no clue of what to expect and also the muppets handing out qualifications like there leaflets!

If there is anyone in Bristol BTW then feel free to message me. [emoji51][emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If u pay for my flight I'll come over and show you how to plaster and render and how to get the dole at the same time.(y)

The dole is the goal

Anyone who is any good is doing it for themselves in these busy times surely.

You say that and I used to think that but not everyone likes doing it! Basically your saying anyone that works for someone isn't any good. But think about it, some people just aren't cut out for running a business, if done properly it's not just turn up spread muck go home is it. There's so much more to it then that.

Not everyone wants the hassle of going out quoting, paperwork etc.

I've got a couple of great lads and it works really well. There happy for me to find and give them the work and they do it.
Granted money's not as good but you can't expect it to be can you.

That's a good, heartfelt post there........good luck mate.

Cheers mate, don't get me wrong I'm not the king of spreads but Christ the difference in what a plasterer was when I was a labourer to what a plasterer is now is shocking!

its gone down hill since they fazed out proper apprenticeships - and over taken by the private training companies, more interested in money than training to a high standard

You say that and I used to think that but not everyone likes doing it! Basically your saying anyone that works for someone isn't any good. But think about it, some people just aren't cut out for running a business, if done properly it's not just turn up spread muck go home is it. There's so much more to it then that.

Not everyone wants the hassle of going out quoting, paperwork etc.

I've got a couple of great lads and it works really well. There happy for me to find and give them the work and they do it.
Granted money's not as good but you can't expect it to be can you.

You be struggling to get someone full time I reckon, most will stay till their own jobs picks up then leave you in a s**t.

I'm struggling like hell to find any decent spreads at the minute..... actual real plasterers who have experience and know how in all aspects!

I need another team of spreads to do my domestic internals but all I seem get is chancers who are barely even 'skimmers'!

I'm not looking for the worlds best tradesman but all I seem to get is muppets who struggle to board a ceiling or ruff a wall!

It can't be the money as I'm happy to pay what it takes, I only want a good tidy job. Not cheap and quick as most people assume!
Ok the day work is the best but I'm happy to give price work to those who can show they do well. They only have to turn up and do the work, no paperwork, no quoting no planning.

I know we're going through a busy time but I just don't think the skilled trade is there anymore.

I blame these quick courses spreading false hope into people with no clue of what to expect and also the muppets handing out qualifications like there leaflets!

If there is anyone in Bristol BTW then feel free to message me. [emoji51][emoji51]

Ive one with me now. Excellent plasterer(35years)he is and he was saying to me recently about going to the UK for some price work. Once ive this next job finished, I'll say to him to give you a ring. He'd be well up for it if the money was good.

Last edited:
Id be happy to jump in and help out mate if and when, only thing is I cant give you all my time

Cheers mate.
Would be a help to start with but It would never work long term.
It's hard enough planning for everyone as it is let alone planning for someone a few days a week which wouldn't be set days and then your jobs run over, I've got to let my clients down etc.

I always let my clients down. As i don't give a f**k about them tbh. I come first. They always get me back or recommend me. Had one ring me one Saturday morning u coming as u said u would. I just said no in bed. And when I get up am going pub it's a nice day. Ok he said see u Monday. I said Tuesday's of its a good weekend.

Cheers mate.
Would be a help to start with but It would never work long term.
It's hard enough planning for everyone as it is let alone planning for someone a few days a week which wouldn't be set days and then your jobs run over, I've got to let my clients down etc.

Yeah fair enough mate its pretty hard planning things out if your not in control of the people doing them for you.

Offer is always there mate, I can always find a week or 2 if desperate.

Yeah fair enough mate its pretty hard planning things out if your not in control of the people doing them for you.

Offer is always there mate, I can always find a week or 2 if desperate.

We better see how well you float and set those thermalights first mate [emoji51][emoji51][emoji23][emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]
Appreciate the offer though and will call if needed but need to find a regular

We better see how well you float and set those thermalights first mate [emoji51][emoji51][emoji23][emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]
Appreciate the offer though and will call if needed but need to find a regular

All getting boarded now explained that it ain't the best idea and what he'd save in labour if it was board and skim. No one in Bristol rough and sets now

All getting boarded now explained that it ain't the best idea and what he'd save in labour if it was board and skim. No one in Bristol rough and sets now

Your right, very few jobs are wet plastered now.
Plus it's longer to dry in a day where people want things finished asap!

The joys and difference of reliability, loyalty and control thru the books....
To being at the peril of the pitfalls of subbies :sisi:....Tis a minefield

Do any of u offer float and set to people. I do. ?? Just let them know it's a lot better finish. Solid walls. Kids can kick s**t out of it. Can hang a picture. No drafts up the walls. And cheaper on materials. As i say to them why would you put plasterboard on a solid wall.

Do any of u offer float and set to people. I do. ?? Just let them know it's a lot better finish. Solid walls. Kids can kick s**t out of it. Can hang a picture. No drafts up the walls. And cheaper on materials. As i say to them why would you put plasterboard on a solid wall.
Because I'm a titanic spread.........

I can't float.....

Taxi for fatty:X3:

Nearly all our work for private builders in new builds and extensions is float and set. Obviously there is stud walls too, mainly upstairs, downstairs usually solid bar around the stairs. Rather use mortar than that hard coat s**t anyways and a well floated wall is nicer to skim over than plasterboard anyways,imo

Nearly all our work for private builders in new builds and extensions is float and set. Obviously there is stud walls too, mainly upstairs, downstairs usually solid bar around the stairs. Rather use mortar than that hard coat s**t anyways and a well floated wall is nicer to skim over than plasterboard anyways,imo

I like sand and cement more. But use Hardcoat as I have the machine.