Where can Plastering go next?

Agree on the plasterboard, should only be putting insulated board on exterior skin if required, sand & cement float then skim, best way by a mile

Don't understand today's stupidness and wastage on massive scale! What I see on site is just beyond my understanding ! They are capable to talk for f**k**g ages about h&s, method statements , quality etc ,but the cost is way too high. No one is addressing waste seriously and I think this is sinking the ship ! Plasterboard -40% waste,metal-25%, screws-30% , plaster-20%, without putting in account the pallets that got wet outside, the list can go on ! And we wonder why the prices are the same as 10 years ago! It's all calculated and until we learn how to reduce the waste across the border nothing will change! Where is the traditional lime in this picture and why is so expensive ? Wher is this trade heading- I hope back to the quality and to what makes sense.For me personally the modern quick build is just bollox and money laundering !
What about straw bale , I said before I am not the brightest spark but strawbale looks good to me.

Don't understand today's stupidness and wastage on massive scale! What I see on site is just beyond my understanding ! They are capable to talk for f**k**g ages about h&s, method statements , quality etc ,but the cost is way too high. No one is addressing waste seriously and I think this is sinking the ship ! Plasterboard -40% waste,metal-25%, screws-30% , plaster-20%, without putting in account the pallets that got wet outside, the list can go on ! And we wonder why the prices are the same as 10 years ago! It's all calculated and until we learn how to reduce the waste across the border nothing will change! Where is the traditional lime in this picture and why is so expensive ? Wher is this trade heading- I hope back to the quality and to what makes sense.For me personally the modern quick build is just bollox and money laundering !
Exactly right mate,ya talk a lot of sense there worked on plenty of site's and the waste is ridiculous, what's the solution tho, lads working on new Build's working for button's dashing about compromising quality just to earn a crust.

That's one big difference between domestic and site is wastage,as a one man band you have a tendency to save the quarter bags for next job pick screws you drop off floor where as on site it's all down to getting job done (before anyone starts I didn't mention quality it's not what this reply is about) I've done both works and I thought on site it's all separated skips now for metal plasterboard ect surely that is recycled otherwise would be pointless in doing it

What about straw bale , I said before I am not the brightest spark but strawbale looks good to me.
Not a fan tho, but I can tell you in the 30 's were build quite a lot of houses with clay and straws only. Bricks were made from straws and clay , shaped and backed. Stacked with clay again. Some of them are still standing , without any roof!

as we are about 30 years behind the scandinavian countries,
plasterboard will be a thing of the past. the external walls of a building will be made from a smooth concrete block dovetailed all the way around to give a perfect wall, jointing of the block will be tight using tile adhesive.

party walls will be made from solid gypsum blocks again dovetailed all round to give a perfect wall, jointed with tile adhesive, green blocks for wet rooms, pink blocks for sound proof rooms, magnolia blocks for standard rooms, ie lounge diner.
ceilings to be pre cast concrete slabs. fill joints and spray finished. either self finishing plaster or blown vermiculite with broken glass added to the mix, these ceilings lighted to highlight the glass

plastering, either just fill joints, chases, and reveals and finish with wallpaper. fill joints etc. and skim walls in sigma self finishing plaster. one man per house 2 days work,
self finishing plaster can be applied by hand or machine, sets on contact with air, not gypsum based.
@malc we done some student accommodation in Cambridge about 13 years ago and they used the dove tail blocks and filled to be fair it looked impressive that was only on external walls though,just never caught on

I think you'll see more factory built and site assembled stuff like the Hoff haus on grand designs.

Just gonna get faster and cheaper sh1t.
Tradesmen will fee the pinch while the middlemen get richer.

Why ya on such a downer on different tools and methods of the game,what would ya rather do go back to mixing with a podger and killing your self,surely out that makes the job easier the better. Let's face it the jobs stressful enough
It was a joke xx

Always thought the same on site used to say to the gaffers surely it's worth employing someone to go round with a lorry collecting gear and taking it to the next job. It's a massive con between the firms and the merchants bit like money laundering they sell a million boards, half go in the skip, they have sold and they have bought and the backhanders go on :)

Why ya on such a downer on different tools and methods of the game,what would ya rather do go back to mixing with a podger and killing your self,surely out that makes the job easier the better. Let's face it the jobs stressful enough
Don't remember anyone having 6 different podgers do you?

Dabbing boards has its place and is not a bad job when done right. But it winds me up as it has become the builders fave method of covering up and getting over everyone else's fook ups and lazy poor standard of work. they think you can dab your way out of any problem.

I brought it here :descansando: :hola:
image.jpeg
Cloud spotting:foto:
image.jpeg

:birras:

again on the continent when receive your order for plastering it arrives in a half size container, delivered by skip lorry. they just hand you the key . no unloading and everything kept dry .

Always thought the same on site used to say to the gaffers surely it's worth employing someone to go round with a lorry collecting gear and taking it to the next job. It's a massive con between the firms and the merchants bit like money laundering they sell a million boards, half go in the skip, they have sold and they have bought and the backhanders go on :)

That's not a problem and they are doing it. Got own transport and moving materials to the next site, sometimes between jobs too. You g on your brake and when back there are no off cuts left. Anything under 1m is considered as rubbish. The site manager walks around and tells the manager to clear around. He tells the labourers and they are on a mission . What means tidy up and get rid off the off cuts is completely different thing than the reality . No one gives a f**k and is the same with any other trade, but we are the worst!

I wouldnt wanna go back floating. .......id rather someone boarded and dabbed ahead of me.......sites couldnt even supply a flow of water all day.
Loading in bags
Setting beads
Cleaning twice
The awfull f**k**g smell

Sand and cement is just shite on your skin
Shite in the winter
cleaning windows ..angles.
Etc
Etc

id rather scrim the fuucker than float the walls ...

I think lifes been made easier.
My good god lads have you gone mad !!!!!

I think you'll see more factory built and site assembled stuff like the Hoff haus on grand designs.

Recent years I see more and more the external brick work to come as panels, ready to bolt in. Last job all the external was like this. This one the same! Bricky are taking huge hit , but when you look around the manual labour is more and more replaced either by machines or IT. Most of the banks have gone the Alf service ITM's. You walk into a bank and you see 7-8 machines and only few cashiers. How many jobs are lost? DVLA went completely online, many shops have done the same. Human labour has been reduced dramatically in the recent decade because of " human mistakes and failures " . The only trades that haven't suffered as much as the others are the sparks , plumbers and plastering . Our trade will die hard only because of the human errors and cost. Too fiddly and not enough money to replace us. Labour is cheap enough to pay for every cock up. They are trying with so called smart walls, but they come and fit without any acces for services , sockets etc. If you have to rectify dimensions or put cables behind it is a absolute nightmare . Our trade is more labour than any other and this will keep us going, but the brick layers are taking huge set back for the last 5 years and will continue, unfortunately .

I wouldnt wanna go back floating. .......id rather someone boarded and dabbed ahead of me.......sites couldnt even supply a flow of water all day.
Loading in bags
Setting beads
Cleaning twice
The awfull f**k**g smell

Sand and cement is just shite on your skin
Shite in the winter
cleaning windows ..angles.
Etc
Etc

id rather scrim the fuucker than float the walls ...

I think lifes been made easier.
My good god lads have you gone mad !!!!!
So your getting half the work and price has been driven down, I think I have gone mad

Reactions: Pug
You disliked your own post well that's a first :) I'm slightly jealous xx

I cant see how a union would improve the trade... people will always work outside of it
Trade affiliations will be the way forward - skills need to be assessed, graded and continually developed for the good of the trade

Didn't the plasterers Union fade away before into unite or something? I thought the boys in the studios doing films are in union rates and rules could be wrong though

the
Didn't the plasterers Union fade away before into unite or something? I thought the boys in the studios doing films are in union rates and rules could be wrong though

the builders union was blown out in the 1970s after the builders strike. they needed to be on strike for 12 months before anyone would notice.
some building sites were union only, how anyone could live on their rates of pay , tool money , traveling time , bonus that you shared 50/50 with the com.
i was on the lump, a lump price to plaster a property, no sick pay, holiday pay just paid out in cash every week about double the wage of a union man. i drove a jag, the union man was on a bike or the bus !