Where can Plastering go next?

Members online

Where do you think plastering is going to go next?

We have had spats and super flex trowels... machines are becoming more and more common but what could be the next big shift with plastering?

I know airless from @knauf is growing in popularity but where next?

What would you like to see?

A proper Union sticking together better rates holiday pay sick pay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erm there used to be all of that but, in the early 80's some one decided we did not need or want all of that. Welcome to the brave new world.

Unless there's a union or somehow you need a 'ticket' to say the plasterings right...like plumbers and sparkys...it's just going to get worse and worse.

I've seen adverts looking for labourers to take on plastering duties...

Maybe in 20 years ?there will less plasterers than today! Can't see the youth of today getting into it as much .jobs better paid less dirty less hassle etc one thing for sure it will be easier with all the new tools coming out !

image.jpg

A product that is applied, flattened in, then sprayed with a water based activator that sets it.

The trade is f**k*d it has been this last 15 to 20 years. If you can't do internal and external work you are not a plasterer it's as simple as that. U don't see a Carpenter that all he can do is 2nd fixing. So why is it OK for someone who can only do skimming to be called a plasterer. Plasterboarding is a big part of what f**k*d up this trade. When you think of it dot and dabing a block wall with plasterboard is f**k**g ridiculous. What's wrong with sand and cement it's a solid finish. Airtight. Cheaper on material. And a far better finish.

I recon in ten years all new builds will all have magnetic walls in rooms which are used, apart from ceilings unless they pay extra :)

The trade is f**k*d it has been this last 15 to 20 years. If you can't do internal and external work you are not a plasterer it's as simple as that. U don't see a Carpenter that all he can do is 2nd fixing. So why is it OK for someone who can only do skimming to be called a plasterer. Plasterboarding is a big part of what f**k*d up this trade. When you think of it dot and dabing a block wall with plasterboard is f**k**g ridiculous. What's wrong with sand and cement it's a solid finish. Airtight. Cheaper on material. And a far better finish.
How many likes can I give this

We have just convinced one of our customers that hardwall is a better method then d/d skim, and after we finished the air test from hardwall was miles better, also hardly any waste so no need for plasterboard skips, so on that alone they will use hardwall from now on

as we are about 30 years behind the scandinavian countries,
plasterboard will be a thing of the past. the external walls of a building will be made from a smooth concrete block dovetailed all the way around to give a perfect wall, jointing of the block will be tight using tile adhesive.

party walls will be made from solid gypsum blocks again dovetailed all round to give a perfect wall, jointed with tile adhesive, green blocks for wet rooms, pink blocks for sound proof rooms, magnolia blocks for standard rooms, ie lounge diner.
ceilings to be pre cast concrete slabs. fill joints and spray finished. either self finishing plaster or blown vermiculite with broken glass added to the mix, these ceilings lighted to highlight the glass

plastering, either just fill joints, chases, and reveals and finish with wallpaper. fill joints etc. and skim walls in sigma self finishing plaster. one man per house 2 days work,
self finishing plaster can be applied by hand or machine, sets on contact with air, not gypsum based.

as we are about 30 years behind the scandinavian countries,
plasterboard will be a thing of the past. the external walls of a building will be made from a smooth concrete block dovetailed all the way around to give a perfect wall, jointing of the block will be tight using tile adhesive.

party walls will be made from solid gypsum blocks again dovetailed all round to give a perfect wall, jointed with tile adhesive, green blocks for wet rooms, pink blocks for sound proof rooms, magnolia blocks for standard rooms, ie lounge diner.
ceilings to be pre cast concrete slabs. fill joints and spray finished. either self finishing plaster or blown vermiculite with broken glass added to the mix, these ceilings lighted to highlight the glass

plastering, either just fill joints, chases, and reveals and finish with wallpaper. fill joints etc. and skim walls in sigma self finishing plaster. one man per house 2 days work,
self finishing plaster can be applied by hand or machine, sets on contact with air, not gypsum based.

I was doing a job for a German, the other week. He said people from Holland come over to Germany to do a version of plastering, like you said they can come in a do a 5 bed house in 2 days.

Alot in the next 10 years will probably change in new builds for plastering, but there will always be a demand for traditional methods doing refurbs

Seen you write something similar like that before @malc and I appreciate you have a lot of knowledge about the European stuff but why do you think we will follow what they do ?

Seen you write something similar like that before @malc and I appreciate you have a lot of knowledge about the European stuff but why do you think we will follow what they do ?

the reason why this has happened in europe is labour shortage, people needing to earn high wages, high wages can only be paid if the productivity is high. everyone goes to uni. no one wants a dirty job like plastering.they only want office jobs.
insurance also plays a part of this as if they have claims for injury about a job they are able to not insure anyone from doing that type of work ie floor screeding is considered to much for our bodies therefore only liquid screeds.
i do enjoy their working methods and when i return to to the uk it seems like taking a step backwards.

the reason why this has happened in europe is labour shortage, people needing to earn high wages, high wages can only be paid if the productivity is high. everyone goes to uni. no one wants a dirty job like plastering.they only want office jobs.
insurance also plays a part of this as if they have claims for injury about a job they are able to not insure anyone from doing that type of work ie floor screeding is considered to much for our bodies therefore only liquid screeds.
i do enjoy their working methods and when i return to to the uk it seems like taking a step backwards.
I can see what you are saying
Thanks

Float and skim will come back into fashion :)
Lol I got laughed at on here cos I said I done a 3 year apprenticeship and that I should of learnt quicker I think I'm probably last one to do one that long and I been in game 16 years

Lol I got laughed at on here cos I said I done a 3 year apprenticeship and that I should of learnt quicker I think I'm probably last one to do one that long and I been in game 16 years

i done a 5 year apprenticeship which only the year before had been a 7 year apprenticeship and was told that i could have learnt to be a brain surgeon in that time not a fecking plasterer!

i done a 5 year apprenticeship which only the year before had been a 7 year apprenticeship and was told that i could have learnt to be a brain surgeon in that time not a fecking plasterer!
Hahaha mine was 3 years and I know some think that's long I feel it's stood me well and I learnt well and can cover pretty much all aspects of plastering these days if you was told its 3+years of learning people would run a mile each to there own but I'm still learning now and have old plasterers I can rely on for good advice if I'm stuck on something

Hahaha mine was 3 years and I know some think that's long I feel it's stood me well and I learnt well and can cover pretty much all aspects of plastering these days if you was told its 3+years of learning people would run a mile each to there own but I'm still learning now and have old plasterers I can rely on for good advice if I'm stuck on something
Less of the old ;)

If float and skim did make a comeback 90% would be f**k*d on here unless a trowel was invented that could float for you rather than just skim for you. ;)
Why ya on such a downer on different tools and methods of the game,what would ya rather do go back to mixing with a podger and killing your self,surely out that makes the job easier the better. Let's face it the jobs stressful enough

Don't understand today's stupidness and wastage on massive scale! What I see on site is just beyond my understanding ! They are capable to talk for f**k**g ages about h&s, method statements , quality etc ,but the cost is way too high. No one is addressing waste seriously and I think this is sinking the ship ! Plasterboard -40% waste,metal-25%, screws-30% , plaster-20%, without putting in account the pallets that got wet outside, the list can go on ! And we wonder why the prices are the same as 10 years ago! It's all calculated and until we learn how to reduce the waste across the border nothing will change! Where is the traditional lime in this picture and why is so expensive ? Wher is this trade heading- I hope back to the quality and to what makes sense.For me personally the modern quick build is just bollox and money laundering !

We have just convinced one of our customers that hardwall is a better method then d/d skim, and after we finished the air test from hardwall was miles better, also hardly any waste so no need for plasterboard skips, so on that alone they will use hardwall from now on

I agree I would float a wall before sticking it :D