Where are you working today?

Members online

Loren

we have done these mexican, californian finishes in sand and cement here in england but i bet they are difficult to patch up!
It's only difficult if you don't know how to approach it. When ever I''m patching stucco after covering I take a 4" diamond blade grinder and run it along the edge to back cut a groove or two along the perimeter, this gives the patching material something extra to "Key" to. I already mentioned using the Milestone material to match in the underlying base coat. the next day you can use a power hand sander on the edges, I was using a small Makita with #60 grit sand paper. After it's sanded all you have to do is match in the textures, just constantly study the existing textures that you are matching.

keithuk

Private Member
Nice day to have a job on the sea front
ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1435645413.044933.jpg

john simpson

I was stuck lifting 8x4 moisture boards up round an awkward hallway ,8 boards to dab i thought i was going to melt with the heat!
At least ive left only a ceiling for tomorrow which is supposed to be even hotter

john simpson

Be weird saying you were from the UK then someone asking where and you saying Ireland :)
its a religious thing , load of shite , i couldnt care less

BigK

Private Member
Too true John, too true.
I find the Orangemen would have answered 'northern Ireland'.
As per 'derry' & Londonderry.
Your a dolly mixture and I'm a plastic paddy [emoji1]

john simpson

Too true John, too true.
I find the Orangemen would have answered 'northern Ireland'.
As per 'derry' & Londonderry.
Your a dolly mixture and I'm a plastic paddy [emoji1]

you know all the daft and awkward social stuff anyways :)
you still find yourself doing all that daft stuff its like a survival instinct from back in the day

john simpson

Yeah its the island of Ireland but Northern Ireland which is part of UK with sterling etc , we still consider ourselves Irish but Northern Irish.
Its hard to explain :)

theclemo

Private Member
Yeah its the island of Ireland but Northern Ireland which is part of UK with sterling etc , we still consider ourselves Irish but Northern Irish.
Its hard to explain :)

Am irish john it f**k**g ireland lol. Do you do much work in the south. Am from co louth

john simpson

Used to do a bit down there , mostly Dublin centre.
Worked for a great shopfitting outfit and few small builders.
Lived down in Drogheda for a couple of years but zero work! used to travel up here everyday.
Any work i did get was well paid €200 a day

theclemo

Private Member
I did a lot of work in drogheda in the boom. I did a site in drogheda called ash field. There is a good bit of work going on in drogheda now.

john simpson

Aye seems to have picked up now everywhere ,
think you were working up near the hospital , i lived out near Donore.
At least you have unions and decent pay , up north they would cut your throat to get working for £70 a day

john simpson

Wouldnt go near a site up here!
pub i think you mean in Drogheda is Matthews but know as something else that i forget now , great Guiness in it all right

theclemo

Private Member
Aye seems to have picked up now everywhere ,
think you were working up near the hospital , i lived out near Donore.
At least you have unions and decent pay , up north they would cut your throat to get working for £70 a day

I did this in donore in the church

john simpson

How did you get on the last few years?
I found it hard like , seriously no work , no sites , no domestic, no nothing!
I left around 3 years ago , everything was so expensive and i was taking sterling down at pound for pound at the time.

john simpson

got it now , thats a fair wee run , how many of you to do it?
Is that carlite or multi? We have this ultra finish which is grey but i find it goes off way to quick

john simpson

Just noticed your name , one of my local pubs was called that , just pass the N2 out past Duleek , you know it? Any relation?

theclemo

Private Member
How did you get on the last few years?
I found it hard like , seriously no work , no sites , no domestic, no nothing!
I left around 3 years ago , everything was so expensive and i was taking sterling down at pound for pound at the time.

I was lucky john. Went in to my uncle slaughterhouse with good pay. Did small plastering jobs in the evenings. Then i went to oz to a place called port headland. Was getting $55 an hour take home and free digs. I was working 11 hours a day doing f**k all. Wife wanted me home so i come back. Was home 3 days went out for a drink. Bumped into a builder i used to work for he asked me was i working so i ended up doing 3 to 6 days a week with him. Then after about 6 months my phone was ringing like f**k. A lot of the builders i used to work for looking for me to price plastering and rendering job for them so i ended up going back working for myself.

john simpson

good stuff , lucky as you say , real shame to see so many good men give it up.
I gave it up around 2005 , went back to school and got some exams and had a decent job but it was construction related and went, did a few part time jobs and nixers and its only the past year its picked up. Im working 7 days a week most of the time as i have a PT job that pays well and im reluctant to leave but the plastering is wild now and im turning jobs away.
Thinking of doing the same myself , if i can get past Xmas at the rate im at now.
One thing i know for sure , if i didnt have a trade i was good at , id be in trouble , always stood over me.
Even when your on a wage somewhere else , skimming a few rooms out meant you were ok.
Good luck with it and hope you stay busy and this really is a turnaround thats here to stay a while

BigK

Private Member
Good stuff that clemo,
Me, I've just had to muddle through, I've been kept going on the whole, short weeks, sometimes a week or two without but you know what I mean.
You can imagine how s**t the money has been at times.......