When Builders render

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

image.jpg
This tends to happen

3 years old........ Iv got some cornflakes In the cupboard that have outlasted this masterclass

A lot of builders do their own but I have to be completely honest the vast majority are substandard and not upto standard. It is also not cost effective to do it themselves as a decent spread even by hand would do two,three or even more m2 per day and the standard of workmanship would be far better.

But that bites a nice wedge in there profit lol this will be worse for them thou when it drops off like the foto ....

I will give them a price, but they seemed to be looking to do it on a budget, so I probably won't do it.

Building company built the porch thingy on the front and rendered all the front of the house, when they told me 3 years they also said the company had gone bust, got to feel for people who this happens too.

To be fair the finish wasn't bad but it just shows you how important prep work is and how easy it is to get s&c wrong, I'm not sure why it's failed as I'm not a s&c guy only done my own garage about 8 years ago which is still on but I don't have the confidence to take it on work wise.

View attachment 5237 This tends to happen

3 years old........ Iv got some cornflakes In the cupboard that have outlasted this masterclass

3 years ago? Is this the one in Dronfield you went to look at? There is something familar about this house? If it is in Dronfield I had (maybe) looked at it. The customer insisted on must be cheap! I don't think I even priced for it, gave it a miss.

No it's up eccelsall john, but I think they want to go down the route of cheap again, believe it or not, even asked about patching it which I won't do.

The one in dronfield was a small one you recommended me for, just the top of a house, nice young couple so thank you for that, I owe you a butty

Didnt you mention you only been rendering about 12 months mac ?? might be wrong and got you confused with someone else..

Sick of "I can plaster but I'm too busy " they stand around watching us, the other one "our guy can plaster but the decorator moans about the sanding "

I had a fella phone Me and say i normally do it myself but im too busy. Told him how much i want and when i can do it. Ah, I'll have to do it myself then. So you're not busy lol.

A few years ago he was xx builder. Then for a while it was xx plastering and now its back to xx building lol

Looks weird existing background
A lot of builders will render themselves in s/c
& use building sand finish with a car sponge lool

Did you manage to float them lightweight blocks ok John?
That job got put back ,architects changing stuff, I have rendered hundreds of metres of celcons but because I have always run my own jobs and only answered to myself in the main it's always interesting to see others view points ,odd that no one does it the same way ,I learned nothing to change my own MO

Last edited:
But that bites a nice wedge in there profit lol this will be worse for them thou when it drops off like the foto ....

I've never understood the 'thinking' behind that. Get whatever trades you need for the various bits you're not doing yourself to price the job, add it all up and tell the customer. Where's the problem? I don't know if it's greed, or they price the job too low to start with?

Started in about 2011 looking at rendering side cassie

Done plenty of s&c with my old gaffer back in like 04-06 but didn't really take it all in, did my own garage in s&c with quoins which still looks good but I don't see point when you have pre bagged stuff on the market now that is good and consistent.

Only a few years ago people simply would't payfor the pre bagged stuff. But then people need to keep up with the Jones's. Once flat coloured render was done in the neighbourhood then others wanted it.

Now it seems to be the norm. Mention pebbledashand it is out of fashion. Painting is a no-no. So flat render with a colour built in is the norm.

But as we all know monocouche being cementious will get dirty in no time and become an embarrasment. Flat smooth render with some sort of self cleaning finish is for me but over monocouche it simply costs more.

But you can't get through to some people so give them what they ask for. All good business for the painters 10 years down the line

Some get confused with a "low maintenance render " and no need to paint , I tell my customers if you get 5/8 years out of it then that's good . Most just like the look of a scrap render and know it will need painting

Lol that's not one of mine lads, seen a shocker the other day myself property maintenance company took a week and a half to patch in areas no bigger than in the pic, then raked out around 100 cracks and filled with sand cement, then painted, area was around 15m2. I was thinking could of had the lot off, beaded, scratched and topped in 4 days. Complete joke.

I reckon they will go for patching in on that one if they are on a budget, bound to be some numpty that will do it. Tell them it's all got to come off or walkaway.

Just thought I'd update this, without going into too much detail.

Just had a reply to my quote (I won't go into £££) but they thought my quote was a "fair" bit over they're budget and were expecting to pay around £2k

£400,000 house 2 x 15 plate cars on the drive and after already having had they're fingers burnt they want to scrimp on the render.

Strip
Prep
Bead
Scaffold
Skip
Render
Labour
Mesh
Possibility of carrier boards under window

£2k, good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.