whats the going rate

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry

Hello all.Im new to this great site and was hoping somone can give me advice.Iv,e been spreading for ten years and subcontracting for the same company for 6 years.I can do all types of pastering and work on a day rate of £100 after tax.I have to do a lot of my own work at weekends to make my wages up as I have a family to look after.The fella I work for gave me my first pay rise recently an xtra fiver a day.He tells me theres no money to be earnt out there what with all the foreign trades blah blah blah.Is he taking the piss out of me?I dont no but i can want to earn more on my day rate.I no spreads who say they get £130-£160 after tax.I might move on and i want to no what sort of rate i can ask for. If anyone can help I would be very gratefull.

Hi Terry do you get a van to use ? payed hoildays ? do you get a labouerer ? if the anwsers yes to all three then its not a bad wage, and the guy has plenty of work id stay put if the awnsers no to all three id have a look around but maybe not at the mo with alot of sites shutting there doors.

hello terry im in the same boat mate and church is right, the other lads may be on price or a decent daywork ........fook knows.................aslong as youre in work and happy mate it's all good in the hood, it's always tempting to have a sniff at subbying though aint it better money, be youre own boss enjoy chasing for work etc but at the mo let's just let the bosses pay us back for working hard on basic rates!!
a spread a lab and a van cost 170-190 a day inc maintanence etc if youre a subby you still have to earn the money to cover costs which is why they get better rates and tax rates plus youre not under too much stress to pile it on all the time ;)

started at £125-£150 a day now droped down to £100 a day because of credit crunch, £100 better than nothing?

I do get the use of a van as in i get picked up and we have a labourer.no payed hols though.but then i dont pay for petrol or anything else so i will have to take this into consideration.thanx

im new to the game i must admit, and i know sites and dommestic are struggling, only thing i can suggest is if business picks up and the developers are getting buyers and more work, then your pay should rise up again surely? wouldnt like to see people getting paid less because they've been used to it for a while and thats the way its gonna be! :-/

from what you're saying you are grossing in the region of £30k. Which at the moment ain't bad. You'd have to go it alone to get more imho.

Especially as you have no overheads for van or lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.