what's the best sand for S&C render after dpc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer Leighton buzzard, Western is also good, but every supplier has different sand and quality. @essexandy is king of sand knowledge due to been part Arab,

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine washed sharp sand from wickes is fine to use they call it plastering sand so as not to confuse certain types

use plastering sand its molecules are triangle in shape and interlock better (under a microscope) building sand is round , if you want it stronger put a shovel or two of sharp sand in your mix :RpS_thumbup:

@casplas in my area of Essex we have access to some superb building sand (also some utter rubbish).
It's pretty clean (low silt/loam content) so very little shrinkage, hardly any sizeable stones and produces the most lovely to spread and rule muck you can imagine. And that's without lime or over mixing. I use Feb DH and one small capful of waterproofer as plasticiser and when left for, say, seven days you get just a lovely even suction when used on aircrete blocks.

@essexandy thanks I've used some shite sand myself in past, dead gear no life at all and I have killed plenty as well with additives , but unsure if that was mastercrete with there's already added, anyway thanks for info:RpS_thumbup:

@essexandy thanks I've used some shite sand myself in past, dead gear no life at all and I have killed plenty as well with additives , but unsure if that was mastercrete with there's already added, anyway thanks for info:RpS_thumbup:
@casplas I won't use that Mastercrete shite for anything, it even makes screed mix fecking horrible to use. OP cement all the way.

I did a rendering job at the Chelsea flower show a few years ago, they shipped the sand from Abu Dhabi cos it was a red sand , couldn't do anything with it caused me no end of probs , y they couldn't of painted ordinary render red I don't know

Well I use sovereign rendermix with 2 plastering sand 1 building sand & 1 cement.

The building sand helps to fill out on the scratch, just my preference, I sometimes use renderlite if the final coat is tight before skim.

I work on a lot of stone houses, so it can take 3 or 4 coats to get it ready for skimming

We used to use something called crushed stone, beautiful to use.
Now just use render sand although some render sand has small pebbles in it and is a bugger to rub up.
Use Silka waterproofer as well on externals or add lime on internals if it doesn't need waterproofing.
Have used vermiculite in render before (at the customers request) in his boiler room.

Status
Not open for further replies.