Whats going on with plastering rates ? Is tape and joint coming back into fashion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brack3

Whats happening with the plastering rates? Three tenders lost in a row! And all to bloody tape and joint. Seems just as the money starts coming back the bloody building company's revert to crap working practice. Don't get me wrong t & j has its place. Just inn my eyes not in houses.
I ve got brickies earning good rates carpenters earning good rates. But plasterers still working there bloody nuts off for two and a half quid a meter.

I've put my taping rate up to £4 a square metre plus extra for beads in hope that they will have it skimmed instead.

most take on the the skimming just to get the dabbing , metal stud and tacking cause theres more money in it , and of course you will allways get someone to do the skimming for a crap rate , but dont worry tho cause , they dont know we have s*p*r*lex trowels now and you can earn loads of money with them :rolleyes).

most take on the the skimming just to get the dabbing , metal stud and tacking cause theres more money in it , and of course you will allways get someone to do the skimming for a crap rate , but dont worry tho cause , they dont know we have s*p*r*lex trowels now and you can earn loads of money with them :rolleyes).
Speedskim tooo

Did a bit of taping last week took me more time putting missing screws in board and ones that weren't fired in properly it was a bit of a extra on a job because tapers didn't turn up now I know why! Nice change but il stick to solid work thanks!!

The house I'm working on now has tape and joint walls and ceilings, it was built in 2000. Every corner of every room you can see the cornflake packet corners cracking.

skimmers are just that, easiest part of our job, hence the crap rates ?... taping is ok if done right...

skimmers are just that, easiest part of our job, hence the crap rates ?... taping is ok if done right...

Its not easy when trying to achieve A1 results whilst having to ensure enough metres to earn a decent crust!!!

biggest misconception in plastering is that skimming is easy!

easy to have a go very hard to perfect over different substrates and control big sets!

Think so ?? .. skimming boards on new builds has got to be the easiest part of plastering.. whats easier ?? maybe thats why rates are bad, because every plasterer can skim boards... and finish standard is another thing, in my opinion its not the best on new builds...

that's just my point cassie easy to have a go but very hard to achieve A1 results whilst being fast enough to earn money in the time frame needed...

yes anyone can skim boards but making them look Al is a different matter...

id go as far as saying I bet if you put 100 different people off here onto a new build site same house same spec and same dead line time frames the spectrum of results would be hideous I bet only 10 would be able to hack it...

some would be onto there 2nd house and all there work a1, some would probabley still be on the firstfloor and there finish would be awful...

and then you would get vice versa some that rush but are rough some that take there time but good and then even some that are slow but ruff!!!

also seen plenty of good renderers that struggle at skimming

Site prices are fine here in the east if your any good theres plenty to be made.
What type of sites are you on Scottie,housing?do you find there is plenty to go at mostly or is there more of bits here and there?havnt done much site work for a while.

Really busy out this way, mainly new houses/apartments.
On a 71 bed care home at the minute and from what ive been told a couple more in the pipeline.

thats good to hear,I suppose the care homes a good one as they're usually decent sized spacious rooms and long hallways.:RpS_thumbup:

Skimming timber framed houses in cumbria ......3 bedroom.. 2 of us 2 days @£1050.
1st day busy ...2nd day handy day.

Rates creeping back up !!

Skimming timber framed houses in cumbria ......3 bedroom.. 2 of us 2 days @£1050.
1st day busy ...2nd day handy day.

Rates creeping back up !!

Still poor money when you think about it. I don't mean as a plastering rate, I mean generally as a top line for a tradesman in 2015.:RpS_unsure:

Ive never seen a new build skimmed before, unless its a one off house. Everything on site here is taped and filled here, most extensions are taped and filled aswell.

Ive never seen a new build skimmed before, unless its a one off house. Everything on site here is taped and filled here, most extensions are taped and filled aswell.
yeh, its a good job aswell, strong and if done right a nice finish I lived in Aberdeen 12 years and did loads of this..

All the sites I've been on lately have been skimmed mostly social housing but even a few huge commercial sites I'd of expected to be taped. Not sure on the skim prices but I was chatting to some of the lads and they reckoned it's getting better after a crap few years.

Yes, and unfortunately i bought a new build house and every joint in every board drives me mad along with half the screws not filled right. My lass claims im making it up and there is nothing wrong with them:RpS_scared:

not if you know how to do it properly, as skilled as skimming anyway...

I disagree I did for roughly 5 yrs before getting into plastering....used to do commercial and worked for a couple of yrs on modular houses...

has its places il agree but defo wouldn't want it in my home!

by the end I was seeing bloody board joints in my sleep drove me mad...quite enjoyed the tacking though and a hell of a lot easier on the body for sure:RpS_thumbup:

Standard taping and jointing is a sh1t finish, no matter how you look at it. The level 5 is a bit better, but still won't take a knock like skim will. The only benefit is that it doesn't crack unless there is structural movement, unlike skim which is harder and therefore brittle.

Its back to doing the job properly, same as skimming, new build housing skimmed or taped is generally slapped on, its not the best standard, maybe this is down to poor prices and not having the time to do a real job..?? I know some will be on now saying they do a mint job blah blah.. maybe some do, but its a small minority, my house is pretty new, and the plastering is pretty poor.... fixed now.. but the standard originally was bad.. and i dont live in a cheap property, so what chance has the average new build got ??

get trained and qualified in taping ?/ mine looks good... because its done right, I would always opt for skimming over boards than taping, but its not bad IF done properly...

Status
Not open for further replies.