What's better

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen.... a good all round knowlegable spread.. ie, can do ALL plastering related jobs.. is way more skillful than someone who dabs and skims boards, generally site work ( Ive done a **** load ) is rough as fuk, and wouldnt be accepted in private housing... why fuk yourself up for less money anyway ?? a lot of inexperienced guys love to shout how mant mt they put on in a day, but how many mt they put on are to a high finish, its usually bosh bosh fuk it, that will do... there are good and bad in both aspects... I personally prefer domestic as its something new every job as opposed to being bored to death doing site work..

I've done site work and seen some shocking stuff but this was in a boom and people only looked at shiney sockets and laminate floors with down lighters to hide shocking work. This goes across the board through all the trades on site the work is shocking. I done it for years and there are advantages to it ie, a good wage if you worked your b*ll***s off, gear on the job, money in the bank every week, gear for your own jobs (don't say you haven't taken a roll of scrim ;) no pricing work up in the evening and no sheeting up. But it gets a bit like working in a factory you are doing the same 5 house types day in day out, no satisfaction just "when will you be in the next one." Your not getting beading up money, loading up money, the measure or linear metre and worse of all your not getting told what the prices are till you have completed one so they can work out how much they want to pay you a day. Everyone keeps the rates a secret coz they think they are getting more than you and their being looked after. There was no sticking together, everyone was out for themselves thinking how can I get into that gaff before him.With me I started to hate it there was no satisfaction what's so ever, I was growling Fridays when your money's down coz the secretary made a mistake. I do the odd new build if it's there but not site bashing, I will stick to domestics there is more satisfaction and a better variety of plastering and the money is there if your good.

The last site i did (subbing from a firm ) was shocking , it was £3 m2 , no openings or beads incl in the rate , it was a hotel complex so just a room with a en suite , we had to put a skim stop bead around the en-suite ceiling line to form a 3mm shadow gap and around the window frame , plus the hallways and stairwells all had shadow gaps , i was on site for 6 weeks we ran out of plaster 3 times and beads twice , most mornings power leads had gone and your lighting had been moved , no one in the office gave a shite only how long you were going to be on each floor , as for the trades only the mechanical spoke english , you couldnt leave any tools on site over night , we earned about 150 - a day on average but it was a slog , i know not all site work is the same , but it put me off doing anymore subbing . If you are getting a good rate on site these days you are very lucking hold on to it . I think its a shite way of working for a living but thats just imo .

Totally agree with flynnyman as domestics is better plus emphasize on cleanliness - skimming on walls and ceiling where carpets are everywhere as site is easy cos it is ok to make some mess (no flooring being done) . Plus domestics - get paid at end of job while site don't!
so based on what your saying site work is better

I suppose if your earning crap money your going to think the jobs sh!te.
We get good rates on decent work.

Same old every day on site!!! The standard on site is shiiiiit!!!! Cus your all against the per m2 price!! You will be foooooked when your in your 40s I've seen how it gets people after years smashing it on on site!!!!!!
Reading this while sitting here wrists and ankles killing me after doing another 3 storey on me own.

I've done site work and seen some shocking stuff but this was in a boom and people only looked at shiney sockets and laminate floors with down lighters to hide shocking work. This goes across the board through all the trades on site the work is shocking. I done it for years and there are advantages to it ie, a good wage if you worked your b*ll***s off, gear on the job, money in the bank every week, gear for your own jobs (don't say you haven't taken a roll of scrim ;) no pricing work up in the evening and no sheeting up. But it gets a bit like working in a factory you are doing the same 5 house types day in day out, no satisfaction just "when will you be in the next one." Your not getting beading up money, loading up money, the measure or linear metre and worse of all your not getting told what the prices are till you have completed one so they can work out how much they want to pay you a day. Everyone keeps the rates a secret coz they think they are getting more than you and their being looked after. There was no sticking together, everyone was out for themselves thinking how can I get into that gaff before him.With me I started to hate it there was no satisfaction what's so ever, I was growling Fridays when your money's down coz the secretary made a mistake. I do the odd new build if it's there but not site bashing, I will stick to domestics there is more satisfaction and a better variety of plastering and the money is there if your good.
Yep all true apart from the roll of skrim. Its a bit more than that :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.