Whats best to strip

Members online

hail hail

Private Member
What's best to strip paint of walls. I'm doing a small revamp and in the kitchen, the old paint is coming off in sheets which is great however some parts aren't so easy. I don't want to leave it on in case it comes loose once I skim over it. Its an old house and the paint has been on decades.

Djr

If it's well and truly stuck in parts I would blue grit it

ChrispyUK

Have used a wall paper steamer before, but obviously could blow plaster if not used carefully.

Wouldnt water just do the same?
na water runs off it. pva will react same as skim. so if pva bubbles the paint so would skim. i blast it with pva then scrape it takes all the problem bits off. any bits that are properly adhered are fine. then pva all n skim nevrr had a problem

carys

I
What's best to strip paint of walls. I'm doing a small revamp and in the kitchen, the old paint is coming off in sheets which is great however some parts aren't so easy. I don't want to leave it on in case it comes loose once I skim over it. Its an old house and the paint has been on decades.
If it been on for decades I'd be more worried about asbestos dust got to be careful

JessThePlasterer

Queen Jess Elizabeth I
na water runs off it. pva will react same as skim. so if pva bubbles the paint so would skim. i blast it with pva then scrape it takes all the problem bits off. any bits that are properly adhered are fine. then pva all n skim nevrr had a problem
I do this if bits of wallpaper are left on the wall. Find they come off better with pva than water

Tinytom

If it's well and truly stuck in parts I would blue grit it
What’s blue grit got to do with it? Why not pva. Grits are for low suction back grounds to provide a mechanical key.

Djr

Because it's
What’s blue grit got to do with it? Why not pva. Grits are for low suction back grounds to provide a mechanical key.
Because it's over paint that's why grit

Andy g

Use Stanley and score and this will key it good asuwere

Djr

f**k that s**t. Im not using it again. Blew off twice on jobs ive been on. Pva 2 or 3:1 as ive always used from now on.
I like the stuff never had any issues with it tbh

ChrispyUK

I like the stuff never had any issues with it tbh
I don't do loads mate, but had one wall completely shell off on silk paint. Not sure why, possibly blue grit hadn't dried properly, or not stirred well enough. Re did grit, skim and all good.

This actually worked for me on artex a few times
Yah turns it to jelly I mentioned this months ago but nobody knew what I was on about

Pva is like a spark plug it can tell you what’s wrong.

Never had a fail over artex and always skimmed with pva. Can see how people get it wrong though

ChrispyUK

Yah turns it to jelly I mentioned this months ago but nobody knew what I was on about

Pva is like a spark plug it can tell you what’s wrong.

Never had a fail over artex and always skimmed with pva. Can see how people get it wrong though
Reminds of a joke...

Guy sat at the bar

'I can tell the car you drive, just by sticking its key up my arse.'

Guy passes him a key, and he sticks it up his arse.

'BMW, 5 series'.

'That's amazing...you're correct'.

A woman gives him a key and he sticks it up his arse.

'Mini clubman'.

'Yes' she says.

'1100cc, brown cloth interior, 1 previous owner, 77000 miles'

'Amazing' she says.

A blokes been watching, 'I'll trick him' he thinks to himself and goes outside and takes a spark plug out of his cars engine and gives it him and he sticks it up his arse.

'Hmmm he says, a bit tricky, not quite sure, but anyway it feels f**k**g Champion!'