What would you do?

Members online

Seeing as you are going to get boards in for (1) why not get some more for (2)
It's preferable to avoid plasterboarding an entire room (time/cost), moving a large amount of sockets in the process if there is a viable alternative.

As per my earlier comment, it wasn't like the walls were peeling off on their own accord. The chase has unveiled the poor skim but it's not poor all over as other than the bits I've removed the rest isn't budging without a chisel. I 100% get there is a perfect solution which in this instance is "there are glaring signs the skim is poor, ideally remove all and start again". I'm just hoping/wishing that in a real life practice example, there is another option which although not guaranteed is highly likely to suffice.

I'm stressing the hoping part as could really do without the cost of the ideal solution ‍♂️

It's preferable to avoid plasterboarding an entire room (time/cost), moving a large amount of sockets in the process if there is a viable alternative.

I'm stressing the hoping part as could really do without the cost of the ideal solution ‍♂️
Ffs a board costs £7
Board that wall take sockets off buy 60/70mm M3.5 screws and replace sockets when finished

Last edited:
Ffs a board costs £7
Board that wall take sockets off buy 60/70mm M3.5 screws and replace sockets when finished
Not sure if you're a pro or a DIYer but it's the time and cost of removing plaster from four walls of a 5m X 5m room, disposing of that waste, purchasing board and having delivered as I don't have a van, getting said board dot and dab onto the wall, scrim tape said board, moving 9x sockets and 3x light switches, 3x coax sockets, 2x ethernet points, and then plastering with ideally at least 2 coats. If I was to finger in the air materials and labour time I doubt I have much change from a grand...

Not sure if you're a pro or a DIYer but it's the time and cost of removing plaster from four walls of a 5m X 5m room, disposing of that waste, purchasing board and having delivered as I don't have a van, getting said board dot and dab onto the wall, scrim tape said board, moving 9x sockets and 3x light switches, 3x coax sockets, 2x ethernet points, and then plastering with ideally at least 2 coats. If I was to finger in the air materials and labour time I doubt I have much change from a grand...

Whoah!!

Who said anything about doing 4 walls?

I thought we were talking about 1 wall?

Whoah!!

Who said anything about doing 4 walls?

I thought we were talking about 1 wall?
This is what I'm trying to understand. Some of the above comments imply that it's highly likely if one wall in the room is not up to scratch then all 4 must be in the same boat (as all done at same time, by same plasterer etc)

I’m just talking the one wall
You do not move sockets but take them off and replace with longer screws after the job done.
Go selco and get boards delivered
No waste removal and Not entire room done

Mesh it, board it, bond it, dub it, float it, plaster it, fill it, skim it, pva it, grit it.

just pick 3 from the above