What type of plaster is on this wall? (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James456

After a recent fire in our kitchen, we had it all stripped out and I'm looking to have a go at plastering it myself.

Thing is I can't workout what the backing plaster is on the brick wall. It was done about 15 years ago, I'm thinking hardwall or sand and cement?

What would be the best way to go about plastering this? Thin coat of bonding before skim?

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_160302.jpg
    IMG_20191012_160302.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 366
  • IMG_20191012_160322.jpg
    IMG_20191012_160322.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 323
  • IMG_20191012_160350.jpg
    IMG_20191012_160350.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 298
After a recent fire in our kitchen, we had it all stripped out and I'm looking to have a go at plastering it myself.

Thing is I can't workout what the backing plaster is on the brick wall. It was done about 15 years ago, I'm thinking hardwall or sand and cement?

What would be the best way to go about plastering this? Thin coat of bonding before skim?
I assume you've wasted several plasterers time coming out to quote, sent them off to the insurance company and going to do it yourself and pocket the cash? Then ask for plasterers advice how to do the job? Lol

3 decent replies before the pisstaking commences @Robbo123 . lol , thought your lib lab morals wouldn't hold up :)
Cmon Boris

Looks like hardwall to me but wanted to confirm it.

@Robbo123, if I had several plasteres come down for a quote, I'd already have the answer and wouldn't be posting here asking what it was, on a DIY plastering subforum.

Also, Robbo, let me quote you what @Danny has written in a nice sticky post in this subforum:

Danny said:
If you are not a Professional Plasterer then this is the place where you can ask you plastering DIY questions.

In this section professional plasterers must give correct advice and there will be no banter or mickey taking:)

So the only reason you'd be taking the piss is because you're not a professional plasterer.

No wonder plasteres get a bad rap among all the trades, any mention of a DIYer doing it and few insecure lot ruin it for the rest.

@Robbo123, if I had several plasteres come down for a quote, I'd already have the answer and wouldn't be posting here asking what it was, on a DIY plastering subforum.

Also, Robbo, let me quote you what @Danny has written in a nice sticky post in this subforum:

So the only reason you'd be taking the piss is because you're not a professional plasterer.

No wonder plasteres get a bad rap among all the trades, any mention of a DIYer doing it and few insecure lot ruin it for the rest.
Have you heard of " care in the community "
Lol
Danny really should post better guidance , you know what I mean ,,, realistic , more like a warning , yes you'll get a lot of sarcasm , if you pushed muck up a wall for more than a few years you'd understand that the diversity of " customers ' can afflict your sense of. " trust " hence the sarcasm . but you'll also get a lot of help
Your gonna diy so what's your experience of plastering , are you sure its sound after a fire , patching and over skimming is higher skilled than plain skimming so with this in mind had you considered gutting then dot n dab
Another point , many of us come across as rude that's an issue with text , Robbo is a decent bloke giving his pennies worth ( if he didn't say it somebody else would as its a common complaint ). so try and lighten up a bit , he is a " remainer " so is in shock and denial with Boris on a good run
PS looks like grey hardwall but I'm on a cracked phone , you should be able to detect sand in cement

Just don't understand why if you've had a fire and I'm sure claimed on insurance why you haven't got a plasterer doing the plastering? Unless as I've stated you've wasted some poor buggers time with no intention of using their services

Just don't understand why if you've had a fire and I'm sure claimed on insurance why you haven't got a plasterer doing the plastering? Unless as I've stated you've wasted some poor buggers time with no intention of using their services

Luckily for the lot of us, your need to understand doesn't matter.

Unless you've got an idea of what's on my wall, think you'd better move along son.

Another point @Danny , I can see @James456 has viewed in last few minutes , but no reply , hence runaway threads , if no feedback and interaction from new members , any ideas to improve this situation

Snitch.

Not exactly endearing yourself, are you?

1026_Tekashi_court.jpg

You think we're back in school year 7 telling on each other to the teacher? LOL

Grow up son.

@bof, this forum has moderation queue turned on. New members reply but their posts aren't visible until a mod has approved of them.
You still haven't said I'm wrong though..

James, You've had some straight answers as well haven't you?
Of course it's school year 7, site trades need a thick skin and banter to deal with the sticky brown stuff that they get thrown at them on a regular basis, me included - but, a bit of honesty and humility goes a long way.

It would've helped if you gave a straight answer as to why, even if it was to try to save a bit of dosh, instead of ducking and getting snippy. I remember one lass came on here about a poor job, got loads of stick, laughed and gave it back with honest answers, we loved her and she got loads of advice.

James, You've had some straight answers as well haven't you?
Of course it's school year 7, site trades need a thick skin and banter to deal with the sticky brown stuff that they get thrown at them on a regular basis, me included - but, a bit of honesty and humility goes a long way.

It would've helped if you gave a straight answer as to why, even if it was to try to save a bit of dosh, instead of ducking and getting snippy. I remember one lass came on here about a poor job, got loads of stick, laughed and gave it back with honest answers, we loved her and she got loads of advice.

Having some random git start talking about insurance over a simple question about what type of scratch coat is on a wall isn't 'banter'. You should know the difference.

You still don't deserve an answer though..
Having some random git start talking about insurance over a simple question about what type of scratch coat is on a wall isn't 'banter'. You should know the difference.
Just hurry up and fook your kitchen up. Post some pics of the finished result.
You're either uninsured which is extremely unlikely or you're asking our advice to help you with insurance fraud

Just hurry up and fook your kitchen up. Post some pics of the finished result.
You're either uninsured which is extremely unlikely or you're asking our advice to help you with insurance fraud

What’s the matter m8, things not going well with the misses?

Maybe if you spent less time talking s**t on here you’d earn enough wages to keep the misses and the little one off the streets. :)

Maybe if you spent less time talking s**t on here you’d earn enough wages to keep the misses and the little one off the streets. :)
Great banter

Your wasting your time here especially with comments like that.

Maybe if you spent less time being a dick and more time being polite to people you want a freebie off...

Best way to do plastering is like this ..

Step 1. Put plaster on wall.

Step 2. Flatten it.

Maybe if you spent less time being a dick and more time being polite to people you want a freebie off...

Best way to do plastering is like this ..

Step 1. Put plaster on wall.

Step 2. Flatten it.

No no mate, you're doing it wrong. It's like this:

Step 1: turn up, quote work
Step 2: ask for cash only
Step 3: do one-coat bodge job
Step 4: pocket cash, keep the books thin and light
Step 5: brag online about having mortgage paid off while the misses sponges off NHS
Step 6: sand it

;)

Step 5: brag online about having mortgage paid off while the misses sponges off NHS

;)
Misses....
What you on about? How can anyone not sponge off the NHS when it's free?

Misses....
What you on about? How can anyone not sponge off the NHS when it's free?

If you stayed in school long enough to finish your GCSEs, you'd know by not declaring all your income, you're pocketing cash without paying the full tax, which pays for the NHS.

It's not "free".

I'll be calling you OneCoatRobbo from now on.

If you stayed in school long enough to finish your GCSEs, you'd know by not declaring all your income, you're pocketing cash without paying the full tax, which pays for the NHS.

It's not "free".

I'll be calling you OneCoatRobbo from now on.
So why would it be the Mrs sponging off the NHS and not me?

;)

I thought you were diy , but not so sure now , just one thing missing in your list that doesn't hold true with being a pro....
Between 3 and 4 , you haven't mentioned the knicker draw

Glad to see your getting into the swing of things lol

Status
Not open for further replies.