What to learn?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apprentice

What aspects of plastering do you think that people taking a training course need to be trained in at a college. Currently they are trained in board and skim ceiling, dot and dab, float and set, rendering, floor screeding and cut, run reverse, cast and fit cornice.

All the traditional jobs of a plasterer but which new areas would you advise and which old ones do you think should be dropped?

Thanks

Over what length of time do they have learn all these subjects, I would have thought the cast and fit cornice should be a whole subject on it's own.

That is what they have to achieve in year 2 of the Diploma qualification so really they have got 2 days a week for 36 weeks and each area is it's own subject so lots to learn which some don't realise when they start.

What i would like to see colleges teach ?
Reliability ( how to get out of bed in the morning and puncuality).
How to get through the day without sending a text to your mates ( im paying for your time).
Politeness ( especially to my clients , their not your mate ,as far as your concerned ,they're god at least until ive been paid).
How to clear up? ( waving the broom in the air for 30 secs doesn't cut it ).
Respect of my tools ( you dont use my best trowel as a screwdriver or to scrape the floor ).
Ears ( use them , when i ask you to do something pay attention ).
Eyes ( use them ).

i have only used sand and cement for rendering so as for skimming it i dont no
maybe skimming over it will be covered on my level 2 but is it not the same as skimming bonding hardwall or any other backing plaster ?

Umm no. Do a search its been covered loads on here. With lots of different opinions. I was just interested in what the courses teaching plastering said.

yh that was covered too

You was askin that question on another thread last week lol im not havin a dig mate but if you covered all the areas above you would of been told that or atleast taught it. which goes to show in my opinion you cant be taught all of the above in 10 weeks, well not properly to be given the qualification, i dont think you should even be lookin at fibrous in the first two years. There are plenty of new renders that should be taught in the first two years also different floor screeds, different boards,metal systems for ceilings, walls and exteriors. This could or should involve another year. So that gives us 3 years then fibrous which should make it 4 years which would give you the skills to go forward.

yh i did ask and i was taught it different boards & materials was also covered. not done much rendering and floor screed as this is level2 stuff
i no i still have a lot to learn and it will take a few years to reach my goal to be come a plasterer. just need to ask y do u think that i should learn fibrous after 3 years ?

yh i did ask and i was taught it different boards & materials was also covered. not done much rendering and floor screed as this is level2 stuff
i no i still have a lot to learn and it will take a few years to reach my goal to be come a plasterer. just need to ask y do u think that i should learn fibrous after 3 years ?
i think it would take two years to be taught what was listed in the original post then add all the other stuff i mentioned, i dont think there is enough time to cover fibrous and it will only complicate what youve already been taught.

The fibrous that is taught is mostly the theory aspect in level 2. Practical aspects are cutting the template, running a reverse, taking a cast and fitting the cornice so fairly basic stuff. Plastering is slowly starting to split into the solid and the fibrous routes.

Level 1 covers floating and setting and board and skimming of a small area and taking a cast, so a big difference from level 2 IMHO

Level 1 level 2 blah blah when you're at work you're boss will know what level you're at, I think they should teach as much as poss so lads get a taster and can chose their own route

Status
Not open for further replies.