What to do?!

Wildcookie

Hi Guys,

We recently bought a house that had been decorated before we moved in. One of the bedrooms quickly started showing cracks which after some scraping out have left large holes as per pics attached. Initially I just followed the cracks but the rest crumbled out. There was a clear hollow sound when knocking around the area too.

Firstly, do you think this is due to skimming over old plaster that's clearly past it's best and secondly, what's the best solution? I've looked at Gyproc Easifill 60 but I'm wondering if this is too large for that and if I need something else? The process I was going to follow was to PVA the areas first, fill in layers, sand then repaint - does that sound about right?

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 230
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 228
  • P3.jpg
    P3.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 225
Hi Guys,

We recently bought a house that had been decorated before we moved in. One of the bedrooms quickly started showing cracks which after some scraping out have left large holes as per pics attached. Initially I just followed the cracks but the rest crumbled out. There was a clear hollow sound when knocking around the area too.

Firstly, do you think this is due to skimming over old plaster that's clearly past it's best and secondly, what's the best solution? I've looked at Gyproc Easifill 60 but I'm wondering if this is too large for that and if I need something else? The process I was going to follow was to PVA the areas first, fill in layers, sand then repaint - does that sound about right?
the vertical crack looks like the outside wall is leaving home/forget fillers to deep for that

One of the bedrooms quickly started showing cracks

The speed it started showing cracks (just after you moved in) is a warning sign that something is probably moving in that wall.

I notice that there is steel mesh embedded in the wall, but obviously I don't know if the whole wall has it or if it's just a small section that's been added to the cracked area of the wall.
Bearing in mind that this is internally, the mesh might be a possible smoking gun that the previous owner may have known damn well that there's an issue, and may have tried to hide it before selling, rather than addressing the underlying cause.

do you think this is due to skimming over old plaster that's clearly past it's best

It's true that skimming modern plaster over the top of old plaster that's already 'blown' (delaminated) from the wall can cause cracking, but the way that has cracked - almost a perfect straight vertical line , and almost completely from floor to ceiling, means you would be wise to get a professional surveyor to examine that wall, inside and out, to make sure it is structurally sound.

I'm not saying that to worry you. I'm saying it because it's the appropriate way of moving forwards. If there is a problem, then you should deal with it now rather than later. If you decide to ignore it, it may cause you serious problems (and expense) in the future. Please don't make that foolish mistake.

Equally, if you get it surveyed and he/she tells you the wall is structurally sound, then great, you can address the cracked plaster with peace of mind that you're not wasting your time trying to fix something that will keep cracking, endlessly, and peace of mind that no degradation of the house structure will occur, over time.

what's the best solution?

Get it professionally surveyed (unless you already had it structurally surveyed before purchase and confirmed there are no structural concerns).

As @The Hobo already said, Easifill is not going to solve it.

Last edited:
Could be something to do with the heating has just gone on

Hi Guys,

Is that an internal or external wall?

Age of property?

Hi Guys,

looks to me like the wall with the crack was a straight blockwork joint maybe an after thought to make another bedroom and plasterers have tried to mesh over it but missed,,they have tried though so it smax me in the face its not structural,,,the one with ur hand in is just a pop,,,bag of hardwall, a wet pva and bobs ya uncle,,,chop off plaster to the right of crack and mesh properly

looks to me like the wall with the crack was a straight blockwork joint maybe an after thought to make another bedroom and plasterers have tried to mesh over it but missed,,they have tried though so it smax me in the face its not structural,,,the one with ur hand in is just a pop,,,bag of hardwall, a wet pva and bobs ya uncle,,,chop off plaster to the right of crack and mesh properly

Looks like Clinker block to me so I reckon internal. Badly built, no toothing of the block work, built off wooden sole plate etc blah blah blah

Looks like Clinker block to me so I reckon internal. Badly built, no toothing of the block work, built off wooden sole plate etc blah blah blah
if you zoom in to crack you can see they have completley missed the crack,,,agree clinker built,,slapped up ,,but lets not be negative,,easily solved,,,get a wardrobe from ikea and ease her up lully hide the f**k*r,,ur house aint falling down,,deffo not plasteres fault,,he dont throw a hand full of cracks in every mix

if you zoom in to crack you can see they have completley missed the crack,,,agree clinker built,,slapped up ,,but lets not be negative,,easily solved,,,get a wardrobe from ikea and ease her up lully hide the f**k*r,,ur house aint falling down,,deffo not plasteres fault,,he dont throw a hand full of cracks in every mix
What of no room fora.wardrobe. would a big mirror do

In case the op doesn’t speak Yorkshire… I got your back John :birra:

translation:

“Has one thought of the possibility that there is not enough room for a wardrobe? Perchance a big mirror would suffice?”
god you northerners are aggressive types hey,,,howabout a b&q dressing gown hook,,,or even treat it like the wailing wall in jerusalem and stick letters in the crack,,,

Manchester. John’s from Yorkshire.

you can wax lyrical about the ship canal for me if you like though?
Manchester,,what a city
stood tall when the music in london was shitty
its got a canal that runs true n straight
where many have fallen in in a right state
boom boom
thankyou very much
Pam Ayres
Have you visited the ChRisPy houSE dIarY?

@Casper

Have you visited the ChRisPy houSE dIarY?

@Casper
haha no mate im just a mere active member,,

Manchester,,what a city
stood tall when the music in london was shitty
its got a canal that runs true n straight
where many have fallen in in a right state
boom boom
thankyou very much
Pam Ayres

haha no mate im just a mere active member,,

better get posting then. The truth shall set you free! :chica:

i have no patience, tell joy and her maruading sisters to do 1,,im grabbin it now,,and getting me walls straight,,if they insist on still coming then tell them to bring kebabs beer bifter and sudacreme,,,thanks Lee

obviously there is the fast track ‘premium’ route that many many members have gone down and been so grateful for. It’s saved them years of toil and financial hardship.

A few recommendations

‘Chrispys fast track premium route saved me from years of toil and financial hardship and set me free to start my own house diary’
@John j

‘if I hadn’t have met Chrispy, I reckon I would have had years of toil and financial hardship...it set me free’
@superspread

And so it goes on...