What to do

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranny77

Hi guys. Works really busy at the minute I'm out looking at jobs every night keep putting the prices up without taking the piss. Trouble is I seem to keep getting them and struggle to fit it all in.
Ive tried labourers they're too lazy moaning etc
do I keep going on my own and keep turning work away? Or do I employ spreads and open a bigger can of worms?

Keep putting your prices up until your not getting every job. You'll be making more money and be less busy.

I have same problem as this at times. I've tried other spreads but never works out as they try nick my contacts! I've tried 6 trainees but all of them had no idea! I now just keep certain jobs priority ie jobs that are worth doing or a builder who would give on going work.

Agree with stuart, gradual increase in prices untill your maybe getting 70 - 80% of the jobs you price. wouldnt employ anyone else, more hassle than its worth

Sub work out mate. There are plenty of lads on here and I'm sure some will be near to you. Work a price per job. Pay them and take your cut or give them the job in return for a butty. The latter gives no comebacks on you if they make an error

Hi guys. Works really busy at the minute I'm out looking at jobs every night keep putting the prices up without taking the piss. Trouble is I seem to keep getting them and struggle to fit it all in.
Ive tried labourers they're too lazy moaning etc
do I keep going on my own and keep turning work away? Or do I employ spreads and open a bigger can of worms?

hi pal,
just been having a read of your old posts on "goldtrowel" forum !! thought you'd of changed the avatar pic though mate!

No disrespect intended to you mate, i'm just proving a point that majority on here are course plasterers :RpS_blushing:

time for a "real plasterers forum" i think?

I think il keep going as I am. I've turned away some big jobs this year already. It's hard to re come d someone off here when you havn't seen their work.
No probs time served spread. I did the 5 day course in 2005 thinking I was going to be a spread as I couldn't get an apprentaship. Within 5 minutes on my first job I realised I was way out of my depth. Luckily the bloke said you've realised the problem and kept me on starting from the bottom. I spent 7 years with him before going on my own. I'm not against courses but I believe it's only opening the door to the real world. I've met one bloke who did a six week course at gt and he just leaves a trail of destruction every where he goes.

I think il keep going as I am. I've turned away some big jobs this year already. It's hard to re come d someone off here when you havn't seen their work.
No probs time served spread. I did the 5 day course in 2005 thinking I was going to be a spread as I couldn't get an apprentaship. Within 5 minutes on my first job I realised I was way out of my depth. Luckily the bloke said you've realised the problem and kept me on starting from the bottom. I spent 7 years with him before going on my own. I'm not against courses but I believe it's only opening the door to the real world. I've met one bloke who did a six week course at gt and he just leaves a trail of destruction every where he goes.

Yes. We all know @Danny :RpS_lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers @essexandy not like the ones round my way that are either stone or block work. Hope he (cranny) gets a lift and not struggling? :RpS_thumbup:

@Marshy I think hearing how things are done differently around the country is one of the plus points of the forum, that and being able to have a good laugh at the increasing number of useless thick ***** on here now.

@ marshy their insulated massively stud walls with celotex then 35mm insulated board over the top. There's a bit of float and set. I've given them someone else's number.
Shame as the builders got 4 years worth of work lined up.
Can't win them all

I have given the local college a call today though. Il see what happens there it will be nice to have a lad that actually wants to do plastering not just looking for a job.
I've been going through them like jimmy saville this past year

@Cranny77 get someone to give you a hand for the day, you'll soon get the measure of them, whether you can trust them to do a good job if you give them other work.
Even if you get them to give you a hand so you get onto the next job quicker, you will soon be earning an extra couple of hundred a week (or should be).
Never get complacent though as sometimes, people you think you can trust will shaft you, as JJ (kebab king) and I can testify.

Everyone can put on a good show for a day.
I've got a few mates like me who help out here and there bit they're all flat out too.

I've got a few mates like me who help out here and there bit they're all flat out too.

Don't give work away, as soon as you do you wont get them back. Find the bloke that isnt busy and use him and see what he's like. Get them to put on a good show everyday and you are on to a winner

that's soooooooo true mate....I use a guy from time to time hes fine if with me with a bit of nagging but ive had 3 complaints when hes represented me on some other jobs...its so hard mate isn't it trying to manage workloads at times.

then next problem comes when you then have a lad on the books then don't have the work to go at but still need paying!!!! don't think il ever get to the bottom of how to tackle it!!!:RpS_thumbdn:

@ zombie glad you feel my pain lol
I'm going to go with the college and see what happens. He'll probably leave me within 2 years once he knows how to skim one wall but hey.
Love it when you get someone into help and the do all the easy bits and leave all the crap for you lol

Status
Not open for further replies.