What to do?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essex

Hi

well wondering if you experienced guys could give me some advice....so this morning i strolled over to the job centre to have a chat with an advisor which ive waited 4 weeks for the appointment....so i said to her what help can i get if i go college to learn to plaster....i have a young family so recieve me rent n council tax too...well she says if its under 16 hours its fine if not you get nothing....so this route seems no use to me....so been lookin also at the goldtrowel 7 week course which is £1200 which is more than college but really is it worth doing in your opinion? other route is the work for plasterers but to be honest getting a oppurtunity with one is gold dust ive sent countless emails and run my phone bill up but none to give me a oppurtunity....

so im wondering my biggest question.....

what would you do?

do i give up n stack shelves somewhere or actually try to struggle this out?

cheers stu

To no honest mate its a struggle for most at the mo, lots of plasterers looking for work, as you can see by the Amount of guys on the forum lookin for work recently. As for doin a course! Its gonna cost you as you know, and it ain't gonna guarantee you a job at the end if it,so if you have mouths to feed and bills to pay, then needs must, if its stacking shelves then so be it?good luck to you, its decision time.:RpS_thumbup:

yea i know i can afford to give it a little bit more time and some more good old persistance :) i will carry on trying and gathering some info on courses etc and see if have any luck maybe a plasterer will come along who will give me the chance hard to tell.....but yes in the end if needs must back to basics :/

yea i know i can afford to give it a little bit more time and some more good old persistance :) i will carry on trying and gathering some info on courses etc and see if have any luck maybe a plasterer will come along who will give me the chance hard to tell.....but yes in the end if needs must back to basics :/
Better off working with a plasterer for a month than paying £1200 for a course.. I believe you will learn a certain amount on a course but not enough for the money

thanks mate appreciate the advice been knockin me balls out trying to find a oppurtunity to work with one but oppurtunities seem very few n far between and need to hit this 100% so just looking at all me options :)

thanks but hopefully with some hard work im capable of more than that :) just gotta keep at it n hope but thanks im sure if things get that tough ill be doin a dead end job somewhere if needs be

well don't knock stacking shelves as it could lead to a job in a supermarket, then you could chase the mangers jobs, and they pay very well !! better than spreading /cleaner /women who the hell wants to be dirty all the time and working with a load of hairy assed blokes lol

thanks but hopefully with some hard work im capable of more than that :) just gotta keep at it n hope but thanks im sure if things get that tough ill be doin a dead end job somewhere if needs be
You stick to your guns mate ,he is only worried you will nick all his work :RpS_laugh: ,but that a was a good polite reply ,now i would have said , ##### and #### what #### i,m ###### with respect Kemp :RpS_wink:

this is true :) who knows what will happen maybe will end stacking shelves but im pretty sure hard work and some good banter and doing something you enjoy is far more self satisfaction....plus i know although you guys moan you do get a decent paycheck every now and then :p sooo gooner wheres me job haha

Give these lads a break ,i see it all the time ,they come on here ,thinking i could get some good advice and help ,and they are told "don,t do that " or "your be better of " give them some respect

iv givin up the trowel only doit part time now work in a warehouse now unloading lorry's and placing stock on shelfs not the best money but its every week and i have picked up some plastering jobs while there lol

I must admit it is a little frustrating everybody you phone/email can't help right now mate call back job centre can't help...so I wonder what to do...after trying hard (not exaggerating) and running up my phone bill and countless hours I'm still no further....so best people to ask I thought would be the plasterers :) I do understand everyone will have a opinion on the subject but after helping and seeing plastering done (and twisting the girlfriends arm) finally got a bit of time and slack to try make a break on learning to plaster :) so I'm sorry If I seem eager :/ hope haven't caused any problems

youth i think ya have me all wrong if u want to get in to the trade they fairplay to u but ya have to be able to take the banter or ya want get far lol i dont plaster much anymore cos there not much work about round my way and my wrists have about had it so i got a wearhouse job to get a regular wage coming in

youth i think ya have me all wrong if u want to get in to the trade they fairplay to u but ya have to be able to take the banter or ya want get far lol i dont plaster much anymore cos there not much work about round my way and my wrists have about had it so i got a wearhouse job to get a regular wage coming in
have you not got a shelf to stack :RpS_wink:

ooo im not knocking what you do mate sorry if you thought that i was just expressing that with how hard ive tried so far and being still young and fit im not willin to roll over n not try to do better than just the easy option....kemp sorry mate didnt mean to offend you but if i had your skills id be out there smashing up the work weather i had to beg for it or not :)

Essex, plasterers are far too busy to talk on the phone unless your offering work, you need to speak face to face look around you and see whats goin on, call on every construction job you see and get in there faces, put all your cards on the table and you may get a break, goin to goldtrowel is also a good option if you want to learn but you will be far off the finished product but closer than you are now.

thanks flynn i did try asking at some construction sites on basildon but got told by one if you cant skim mate ur no good to me and another told me to go college then try get a labouring job. both i thought were quite rude and un useful but hey ho they are plastering im not....im just trying all angles i can and appreciate ur advice

ooo im not knocking what you do mate sorry if you thought that i was just expressing that with how hard ive tried so far and being still young and fit im not willin to roll over n not try to do better than just the easy option....kemp sorry mate didnt mean to offend you but if i had your skills id be out there smashing up the work weather i had to beg for it or not :)
i never beg for work and good on you for not sitting on the the rock and roll iv met to many folks that wont work and dont want to quite a few where iam now aswel i only work there cos i have mouths to feed and do want to go on benifits i still plaster when i get the jobs iv just passed 1 on to a mate of mine it were to big for me lol

cool cool mate im just after a chance :) i understand about the mouths to feed luckily i saved some cash when was working now just to decide if to do goldtrowel course and hopefully find a plasterer :)

You won't get treated differently if you do a course, if you do you'll be 1250 quid in debt and in the same boat get a job first and see how you get on

Ok mate thanks for the advice believe me I'm on the hotline all day trying to find work with a plasterer

You have to be cheap unfortunately it's on all levels but it gets you're foot through the door
think of it over 5 years if you're labouring and learning in the first it might pick up and when you're trained up we could be in another boom who knows

I understand totally mate I'm trying to get through the door any way I can just waiting for oppurtunity to knock at mine!

why did you not train as a plasterer when you first left school? that is the time for leaning a trade, now you have a family and you need more money i think you may have missed your chance.

well when i left school i was an apprentice for metro net got laid off 2n half years ago when metro net was taken over....sooo i went with a builder total change laboured for him enjoyed it till november came got laid off....out the whole lot i liked the look of plastering best so want to get into a career not a job....but maybe i have? maybe the job market is too dead for a oppurtunity to learn? maybe alot of things are difficult to make but i will least try to do what i like before i give up and and fall into a dead end job

Deepends on how bad you want to be a spread, in the early 90`s i was shelf stacking in the evenings and plastering during the day cos plastering work was so **** and i had my first mortgage then.Its just what i had to do to have my 1st home and be on the trowel.

If you want to be a spread go for it,get a **** job to fund your training and start there. Unfortunatly theres no one to hold your hand through this, but if you want it you will do it.

i want it :) put thought would ask some advice seen you guys have already made it and may have an idea i missed

i have to agree with kebab king. the only thing that my son and myself think about is earning our money and going home.we do not stop for food or a drink. we just earn are money then go home and thats what a piece work gang does. i have not taught anyone for over 25 years .

Have you tried ringing big plastering firms instead of a local plasterer? there's more chance they might need a labourer & theres more chance they will have quite a few different jobs to put you on to keep you busy.
What about building firms have you tried ringing any? Some firms I know have their own team of plasterers so you could learn with them etc etc.
Just keep trying mate :RpS_thumbup:

which is the fine.....bit of shame though 25 years of experience and not taught no one big shame that sort of knowledge would be great to learn

Just keep at it mate don't give up or listen to any1s stupid comments about giving up. A good firm will have plenty of work on. Also ask on site if U pass any on your travels or ask any over trades men if they no of any plastering gangs just keep nagging around

Status
Not open for further replies.