What to do with this wall surface in a bathroom

Members online

FFS... What do you think is holding it up?
They just nail it to the joists and screw it to the floor and adjoining walls. I've got it in my house, I've ripped out whole walls of the stuff. Believe me I know lol

So it's just held up by brackets?
They are very rigid , only seen them once , in this case they were two thick , joints broken and glued , possibly wired as well , the customer wanted sound boards on both sides as a reskim , pointed out to him he ought to soundproof loft but don't think he did lol
I dabbed with 100mm screws all over but in this case he's tiling so understand the need for good fixings with the extra weight

They are very rigid , only seen them once , in this case they were two thick , joints broken and glued , possibly wired as well , the customer wanted sound boards on both sides as a reskim , pointed out to him he ought to soundproof loft but don't think he did lol
I dabbed with 100mm screws all over but in this case he's tiling so understand the need for good fixings with the extra weight
It's just held up by the other walls nailed to it and nailed to joists. No brackets that I ever saw

Right then.

In 30 years on and off of working on new build houses and renovations I've never seen that.

I thank you for the education and offer a small apology to the OP.

if my memory serves me correctly i think they used to be call stramit panels f**k**g heavy horrible things but warm as f**k

i agree it is Stramit board, still available today. manufactured in Suffolk. invented in Sweden in the 1930s.
we always floated the boards usually sand and cement then skimmed.
it was also used on flat roof on industrial buildings which would receive a thick sand and cement screed.
i remember putting my foot through 1 roof where the board had been saturated.

Right then.

In 30 years on and off of working on new build houses and renovations I've never seen that.

I thank you for the education and offer a small apology to the OP.
I'm disappointed in your capitulation I expected more from you mate lol , let's have a beer and think about it again , only seen it once myself so the solution is still up for grabs lol , here's a chance for your comeback , look what I'm drinking , Aldi lol
15728993776985889420284275267580.jpg

i agree it is Stramit board, still available today. manufactured in Suffolk. invented in Sweden in the 1930s.
we always floated the boards usually sand and cement then skimmed.
it was also used on flat roof on industrial buildings which would receive a thick sand and cement screed.
i remember putting my foot through 1 roof where the board had been saturated.
Was going to tag you in malc for your extensive knowledge , but we was all having do much fun lol

Grapefruit , part of his 5 a day , along with cake , Branston pickle sandwiches, an item of clothing and a section of my van bodywork

Once you strip and expose the wall level out the joists by fixing some strips of thin ply to the sides of the joists at each end of the wall makings pair of vertical guides and every 4' or so in between
Score with Stanley knife and apply board adhesive , rule off with a straight edge let it harden , knock off any high spots
Then when you fix the cement boards put a bead of no nails on these areas to bed in perfectly
say again? lost me, need one of your drawings.

Listen to Robbo who is on the money. He suggests bonding to level it off, fair enough, I'd level it with the tile adhesive when fixing the cement board back to it.
These are bloody heavy and actually quite good, often used in roofs with just felt over them, the ones in my flat roof were over 20 years old and only replaced couple of years ago.
If you want to tile, just cement the cement boards directly on to the strawboards, wide spread not just thick gobs, and ignore the missing bits of paper. Put some screws in to hold it temporarily and/or if you want belt and braces.
Lining paper is not a good idea and will create a potential failure point as it will soften when wet. The strawboard paper doesn't.
If you want to plaster, then level with bonding as Robbo suggests and then addy/screw the boards to the strawboard.

Now I'm feeling bloody old, I can remember when these were the modern bright new building panels of the future and going in everywhere... now the Syngenta GMO people are crowing about how they will takeover the world market with short stem barley, so there won't be any "straw" to use.
It's coming onto the market very soon with their "only we can feed the world" marketing bullshite

They just nail it to the joists and screw it to the floor and adjoining walls. I've got it in my house, I've ripped out whole walls of the stuff. Believe me I know lol

I’ve not seen this stuff before but sounds like if it’s what you say then screw boards to it as you said earlier in thread.

Come back @Robbo123 , everyone's in favour of your procedure of sticking cement boards on the crappy old surface , admittedly with fixings.
Now how many fixings are you all going to put in to hold the adhesive , cement boards , tile adhesive and tiles

[QUOTE="Andyca,

It's getting tiled but I need a stronger surface to mount the cement board to.
[/QUOTE]

This evening is looking like fun

Come back @Robbo123 , everyone's in favour of your procedure of sticking cement boards on the crappy old surface , admittedly with fixings.
Now how many fixings are you all going to put in to hold the adhesive , cement boards , tile adhesive and tiles

[QUOTE="Andyca,

It's getting tiled but I need a stronger surface to mount the cement board to.

[/QUOTE]
I would just screw plasterboard to it with standard amount of fixings. Won't go anywhere. Even my door linings are just screwed straight into the stuff

Look at it this way , if I'm on this thread I won't be " debating " people's poor prep and storage of the multi finish post lol

I would just screw plasterboard to it with standard amount of fixings. Won't go anywhere. Even my door linings are just screwed straight into the stuff
[/QUOTE]
Whole sheets of moisture plasterboard , more stable due to joints , cheaper , your door frames vibrate and joint is hidden by architrave , not the same as the weight of everything on a tiled wall

Whole sheets of moisture plasterboard , more stable due to joints , cheaper , your door frames vibrate and joint is hidden by architrave , not the same as the weight of everything on a tiled wall
[/QUOTE]
Have you ever put a screw into this stuff? The fact you're questioning it means you haven't lol. It's like screwing into a piece of timber

Have you ever put a screw into this stuff? The fact you're questioning it means you haven't lol. It's like screwing into a piece of timber
[/QUOTE]
Only once as I previously said , would still go for full sheets of plasterboard over lots of cement boards ,