What to do with these walls?

Members online

Dee23

I stripped all wallpaper in my front room and uncovered walls with a grey finish coat, any idea what this is?
A grey coat underneath which I'm guessing is render?
And hairline cracks literally all over the place. See the attached pics. What's going on here? Can this just be filled, pva'd and skimmed? Dont want new plaster to crack as well.
If pics unclear let me know.
Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0042.JPG
    DSC_0042.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 326
  • DSC_0039.JPG
    DSC_0039.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 314
  • DSC_0041.JPG
    DSC_0041.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 325
  • DSC_0040.JPG
    DSC_0040.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 308
  • DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 301
  • DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 314
It's old lime sand mortar by the look of it .if it's still in good Nick and not blown yes it can be taped and over skimmed .How olds the house ??
Don't have a scooby how old the house is mate sorry.
I was thinking lime myself which I have used before but only ever on listed buildings etc never your average house.

if you're re-skimming over that s**t pal,i'd lay render mesh on your first coat to minimize the risk a little more against cracking.

Easiest diy is rip it down , dot and dab , skim
Looks like historic cracking. Could be a number of different reasons. if it's sound not blown and cracking ain't structual which can only be determined on site. Then good chance it may be alright. add fibre to mix.
Can't tell from just pics alone tbh.

I've used a pink mesh before can't remember what brand would that be alright?

yep fine pal.......rolls of render mesh all do the same job
I use it all the time on re-furbs.....you'll just get different colours depending on manufacturer....just like you can with scrim tape.

Just search up plaster and render fibres. Cheap as. Just chuck in water before mixing.
Got about 30 bags from bnq coz they didn't sell , 10p a bag, a bargain if I remember to put it on their van just in case

I stripped all wallpaper in my front room and uncovered walls with a grey finish coat, any idea what this is?
A grey coat underneath which I'm guessing is render?
And hairline cracks literally all over the place. See the attached pics. What's going on here? Can this just be filled, pva'd and skimmed? Dont want new plaster to crack as well.
If pics unclear let me know.
Any help is much appreciated.

Put the walls in a skip and do them again.
(y)

You can’t put fibres in multi you’ll be shaving the walls for days, have you never seen them standing up on freshly laid screed or the edge of scrim flicking up when skimming board

I only use on first coat.
But I would say because they are such a fine fibre you could probably use in second.

Yes you can in second coat they don’t show through, the ones in Wickes, selco are good.
Really good when cleaning out boxes too as the fibres stop edges from breaking.

You can’t put fibres in multi you’ll be shaving the walls for days, have you never seen them standing up on freshly laid screed or the edge of scrim flicking up when skimming board
How about load a good amount of fibres in first coat only