What to do with old lime plaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathmos1

I'm working on an old manor house.
the customer wants the walls like new.
they are mostly brick or stone with lime plaster on top.
Repairing is not an option because they want it done quick and they don't want to hack off because there are massive old cornices and covings which they don't want disturbed.

i really would prefer to dot and dab over the walls but have heard of problems with stopping the wall from breathing etc.

the walls are fairly sound and there is no dampness.

any opinions would be welcomed?

Haven used limelight for years but remember it being nice to use. There skim is shite though.

I have no experience with limelite. Hacking off isn't really an option as they don't want an epic amount of mess. The walls are sound apart from the bottom foot or so, and the odd hole/crack. Is limelite a finishing plaster?

I have no experience with limelite. Hacking off isn't really an option as they don't want an epic amount of mess. The walls are sound apart from the bottom foot or so, and the odd hole/crack. Is limelite a finishing plaster?

there is a limelite backing coat and a finish coat

Limelight is a backing coat m8often used in dpc u supposed 2 finish it with lime light finish

They either want it sound or they don't. There is nothing you can do to the bottom foot if it's loose it's loose. It's got to come off.

Other than that just over skim as normal, scrim cracks and holes.

Just used 400 bags of limelight on listed building worked a treat tell the customer it's the only proper way ,no easy way to do the job .do it right my friend

You could patch the bottom with ready mixed lime then prime all the walls with dg27 then skim over with a lime finish plaster. The dg27 is a natural liquid with fine sand which would provide a key. They can all be ordered in small amounts if the customer wanted a test panel or wall done.

Patch with a suitable backing coat then Knauf premixed range over the top. Simple quick and cost effective

If your dabbing over **** how can you say it's stuck properly.

Wont nr you loose depth on the Coving window boards door frames and skirts etc

Everything is stable, just damaged. And all the coving/door frames etc are oversized so no problems there. I really want to overboard but just want someone to say, what's the worst that can happen!?

bond failure maybe between the boards and the lime walls i would go for the dg27 and lime finish heritage range is good and so is r 100 also good, try and offer a different solution to the normal board it over and hide it job, it will set you apart from other plasterers , and its the right way to go i think , using these different and RIGHT materials will open new doors for you in the future stuy

Status
Not open for further replies.