What one change have you made that changed the way you do things?

Members online

A change I'd like to make, would be to take on an apprentice, improver, or a bloke who's close to retirement/part time. Either to train up or as a pair of hands that can do a bit depending on which of those it was.

Unfortunately, any of those who are interested and reliable is nigh on impossible to find. Which is a damn shame because if it was a youngster/imporver they'd learn loads and get the opportunity to work with me buildering, @Nisus plastering, and the plumber plumbering. They'd end up as a proper all rounder skilled in a few disciplines and get put through college to gain qualifications. The older fella would get paid and not have to work like a donkey.

It seems that most people are interested in sitting in front of a computer when they're young, or stacking shelves when they get near retirement.

You have to wonder how trades will keep going in the future?

A change I'd like to make, would be to take on an apprentice, improver, or a bloke who's close to retirement/part time. Either to train up or as a pair of hands that can do a bit depending on which of those it was.

Unfortunately, any of those who are interested and reliable is nigh on impossible to find. Which is a damn shame because if it was a youngster/imporver they'd learn loads and get the opportunity to work with me buildering, @Nisus plastering, and the plumber plumbering. They'd end up as a proper all rounder skilled in a few disciplines and get put through college to gain qualifications. The older fella would get paid and not have to work like a donkey.

It seems that most people are interested in sitting in front of a computer when they're young, or stacking shelves when they get near retirement.

You have to wonder how trades will keep going in the future?

The rarer we are the more we will be paid hopefully.
You have to be very patient with lads these days I find and prepare for the bottom lip sticking out all day if you pull them up on anything !
My brother put an ad in the window of a local shop for a trainee but no mummys boys and they made him change it lol

The rarer we are the more we will be paid hopefully.
You have to be very patient with lads these days I find and prepare for the bottom lip sticking out all day if you pull them up on anything !
My brother put an ad in the window of a local shop for a trainee but no mummys boys and they made him change it lol

Liked

I have very little patience for people unfortunately. Work, animals, inanimate objects, no problem. Still, you can't be good at everything (y)

I have very little patience for people unfortunately. Work, animals, inanimate objects, no problem. Still, you can't be good at everything (y)

After 12 months of "is that too wet?"or "is that too stiff?" When it's either complete p1ss or a proper arm breaker I do start to lose it :mad:

Using carpet protector is my change. Specially when skimming staircases. Amount of customers who comment on it has surprised me the most.
Still not cracked getting a good apprentice though. Like hens teeth.

Gloves is another one, I could never wear gloves and feel my trowel properly but now I always wear gloves.

That's what I thought but I've got some lightweight decorators gloves and they are pretty good.
Firm i sub off gave me 12 pairs of gloves pair of safety glasses 5 dust masks 1 hi viz 1 hi viz hoodie sweatshirt and hard hat the other day and an extra 150 quid on top of unit price for staircase

I like wearing gloves now as well... so do chippies... in fact I think they are the lot that are most grateful for it :D

I got a loft ceiling to do soon :D well when the house is built so will have to bust out the gloves for that... and the energy drinks :D

Why would anybody want to get into the building game now. Lot more money in easy work now. There was a time not to long ago was good to have a trade. It's not now. That's just the way it is. Internet has destroyed the building game. U can get 100 quotes now and don't even have to meet people. I can remember people calling to my dad's house asking him to price jobs. Not now. And it doesn't even mater how good u are anymore.

Why would anybody want to get into the building game now. Lot more money in easy work now. There was a time not to long ago was good to have a trade. It's not now. That's just the way it is. Internet has destroyed the building game. U can get 100 quotes now and don't even have to meet people. I can remember people calling to my dad's house asking him to price jobs. Not now. And it doesn't even mater how good u are anymore.

100% internet kicking off same time as a downturn totally decimated it!!!

Will Never ever be the same again in our life time!!!

Got spotty geeky 19 yr old T***s emailing 10 spreads to fight over scraps for a bedroom reskim this along with such as mybuilder alike blabla just killed it!

I used to get really angry with stuff on jobs if it wasn't right - bad blockwork etc. Now I just get on with it moaning doesn't sort stuff that's already done gotta take the rough with the smooth.

Just been sat in barbers. .nice Turkish lads doin £9 haircuts every 15 mins..nice pleasant work...stop for a break etc

This is probably area specific mate. We're knocking back work and pricing others not to get them.

No your right dan but when you are standing on a site and youve been away 5 days and come back and see what the brickies have done it fills me with hope i think i got my mojo back for spreading